this Sunday 03-15 at Blue

Robert2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it never works out the way its planned when you depend on other people

so I didn't get to Blue this weekend. I spent the day teaching at JF.

I WILL be at Blue this Wednesday.... by Timmy bus ... 11AM to 4PM

so YES do look for me on Paradise making videos.

well i have off on thursday... have a free ticket on my jacket that you could use, and i could show you around the joint for a while if you want. let me know if you can switch it up.

what does this mean... have a free ticket on my jacket that you could use?

You sure you want to go slumming it with the old man? I don't do black diamonds.

It depends how hard it rains..

I'd be damn pissed off if I arrange for bus service to Blue and get told GO home when I get there by bus.

When do they make the decision to close?

WHAT TIME is the EARLIEST they will notify

the public that the lifts are closed that day?

With that forecast they should be open..if it was a total washout with like 5 customers, that is the only time you would have to be concerned about them being closed.

That's one reason I like Jack Frost so much.

They only close for rain if there's lightning.

Ok, so I left this off the internet, so AS and GSS can have their meeting with Blue, as intended. On Wednesday, March 11th, I went to Blue for some night skiing, and mostly to learn if my pass would still work after getting the lesson in ski resort exodus the previous Sunday. On my way to the snow, I needed to make an adjustment to my left boot. As I was sitting on the bench opposite the mens room, Barbara Green asks me "how the snow was today".

To make a really long story short, we talked for about 40 minutes, me giving up some nice vert. She basically explained to me she gets 50-60 emails about people getting hit (or near misses) on Paradise/Burma, and what would I do in her shoes. Reaching back to my pre-EMT days, I used to lifeguard, and we used to run "adult swims" every hour on the hour. for 15-20 minutes, where we would make everyone under the age of 18 exit the water so the adult can get some "play time" depending on crowd density, and there's no real reason why Blue couldn't adopt a similar concept. Perfect example being the Sunday GSS and I got chased off the mountain, where less then 500 people there...all day. We also talked about the brashness of the patrols and she acknowledged that there's some serious room for improvement in that category, and plans are in place to make that happen before the start of next season.

We both agreed that the situation could have been handled better, on both sides.

That being said, I've made my peace with Blue and I'm 90% sure I'll be renewing my season pass there. However, no matter how wrong I may or may not have been on that fateful Sunday, the Blue Mountain Ski Patrol owes me an apology. (Or based on the GSS/AS meeting, should we re-name the place...the Red Mountain Ski Area, since they seem to want to run/ruin it) Nothing personal guys...just calling it like I see it. If that offends you lurkers, tough. It sucks when a few bad people give everyone a tarnished reputation.

Now...on to a much more cheerful topic. Spent some fun time Skiing with GSS, AS, Toast, Nazareth Jay, Johnny Style and a few others. After finishing up a peaceful day in some really slushy snow, I decided to take a spin up to the Summit Lodge to check out the soap box derby I'd been hearing about.. This looked like it would have been a lot of fun to watch and I couldn't believe the high turnout!. Unfortunately I didn't stick around long enough to watch the racing. Next year...PASR/AZ needs to participate. Would be great fun. Enjoy the pictures. Nice job on this event Blue!!!

Snow Conditions

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Panoramic

Blue-Soapbox01.jpg

Blue-Soapbox02.jpg

Soapbox Derby Pics - 1st one is the funniest!

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Edited by RootDKJ

did robert2 make that shortbus for the race? i thought he said he was going to be there sunday... maybe he was there for this.

My plan for the weekend got totally wacked,

Depending on other people for a ride sucks...its like being 15 years old again.... old enough to drink but never get a ride to the parties.

I ended up teaching the snowboard lesson at JF ...got video here:

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13747

QUOTE (AtomicSkier @ Mar 10 2009, 08:14 PM)

I'll bring my Glock...trust me...nobody is going to give anybody a ticket

It's all fun and games until someone brings their glock to the mtn.

In this day and age, statements like that aren't considered very smart or cool. And to come from a site administrator as well (embarrasing). I do enjoy and like most of what's on this site, but as I read some of the threads and posts, their content and specifically who is posting them, I'm becoming a bit dismayed by the site leadership. Lots of individuals and families ski with their kids up there simply to enjoy what the mountain has to offer...a good time. The last thing we need is someone getting so worked up because they got a whistle blown at them because they couldn't simply abide by the wishes of mountain mgmt and end up pulling a gun on some red coat vollie with an out of control whistle and ego!!! Next we gotta be patted down and walk thru metal detectors to get on the snow...? Worse, someone else (who may be alot less mentally stable) reads that comment and decides to do the same, but take it a step further...and (God forbid) someone gets shot!!! Now someone who just patrols so his family can enjoy all the fun that skiing and riding has to offer is seriously injured or dead...lovely, just lovely.

Perhaps you could step up and take the high road. Evidently, your crew has been skiing for years and I'm sure are good skiers and riders. Do what some of the others who post here suggest. Make those turns on another trail (I love Dreamweaver and Razors for setting a high edge and carving some big-assed turns on my Atomics...you too AtomicSkier? I see your nice angulation!). maybe set a good example to the others who can't ski / ride as well as you and make some sweet turns that they can follow and imitate rather than inticing the other wanna-be's to straight line Paradise as well and take out someones little kid (that happened to my 5 yr old daughter).

The idea of pissing off the patrol and berating them just isn't cool in my book, and judging by the post of several others, not cool by them either. Granted... I watched the patrollers that were highlighted on the show and thought it was very poor judgement on both the part of the producers of the show and the patrol for allowing them to portray the patrol in that manner. Their actions on the show and their treatment of the skiers and boarders were embarrasing to say the least. I have had the good fortune not to have encountered the ones who are dicks. Hopefully they can be taken care of from within now that mgmt knows what's going on by way of your meeting with them. I'd get pretty pissed off as well if chased me into the parking lot and threaten to call the police (pretty over the top to say the least). My few brief encounters with them and their whistles have been relatively polite and I get the idea from them that most of them don't like being the "mountain police". They get their orders from mgmt as you well know and I'm sure they'd rather be doing almost anything but blowing whistles at outta control beginners and racer wanna-be's who like to use Paradise as a training run (packs of them piss me off too and no one seems to stop them, as you've noted as well). So I'm with you to a point. I don't like assholes who like to throw their weight around and treat people like shit just because they wear a red jacket. I also don't like people who intentionally break the rules just to piss others off and make their point like a bunch of juvenile delinquents. There are better ways. Your meeting w/ mgmt was the way to go. Stick w/ that...up front, respectful and matter of fact. Mgmt will listen to that much more closely than the other way and getting good results will be much more likely.

Back to the reason I took the time to register and post here for the first (and perhaps the last) time. Please leave the glock at home. I'm quite sure you posted that only in jest, but it wasn't right, especially considering your position within this website. If I want to be caught in any crossfire, I'll go stand in the middle of west Philly and start screaming racist comments. Keep this website on the enjoyable and informative side. Now feel free to berate me as you wish like you do to First Grade Teacher....I've said my peace and will continue to sit back and read the posts for the mostly good hearted humor and some pretty good up to date information that it provides. Thanks...

Now its back to the burm for me (if their is anything left) :D

Edited by SkiDaBurm

That is real cool, I wish I could be as cool as you. yeah right!!!!!!!!!

I have been ski/boarding at Bue since I was 2 1/2. I also have worked at Blue since I was 14 and work here still . I am appalled by what you do and say at the mountain. If you have such dislike for Blue why don't you ski/board somewhere else cause we frankly don't want you here.

I have been ski/boarding at Bue since I was 2 1/2. I also have worked at Blue since I was 14 and work here still . I am appalled by what you do and say at the mountain. If you have such dislike for Blue why don't you ski/board somewhere else cause we frankly don't want you here.

That's funny...the GM who has been at Blue since the opening of the mountain, does want us there, so whoever "you" are...frankly, none of us give a shit! :lol:

What do you do at Blue mountain? You should really pick up the trash under the lift if you love Blue so much! :ph34r:

And I don't hate Blue Mountain one bit. I love the mountain, I just dislike the attitudes of some of the employees. You should come ski with us tomorrow.

What makes you think I hate Blue Mountain? I freaking love Blue Mountain, but I am appalled by the fact that the Ski Patrol thinks they are a militia / police force on the mountain, and chased me all the way down the driveway in fuckin ski boots! Hopefully we'll go back to a bit of the old Blue Mountain next season and not another episode of Red Coat Mountain. It would really suck if Blue had to change their slogan from "Touch the Sky" to "Kiss the Ground Motherfucker!" (yes I've been drinking)

Anyway, welcome to the board, I hope you keep posting, we could really use an official industry rep from Blue on here. And I do think you want me there. In case you forgot, indirectly I pay part of your salary.

What makes you think I hate Blue Mountain? I freaking love Blue Mountain, but I am appalled by the fact that the Ski Patrol thinks they are a militia / police force on the mountain, and chased me all the way down the driveway in fuckin ski boots! Hopefully we'll go back to a bit of the old Blue Mountain next season and not another episode of Red Coat Mountain. It would really suck if Blue had to change their slogan from "Touch the Sky" to "Kiss the Ground Motherfucker!" (yes I've been drinking)

Anyway, welcome to the board, I hope you keep posting, we could really use an official industry rep from Blue on here. And I do think you want me there. In case you forgot, indirectly I pay part of your salary.

Jesus how drunk are you? Nice use of the colors! Is that supposed to be like a police car pulling you over? :banghead