Elk or Hunter

RidgeRacer

Is it worth the extra hour and a half drive to Hunter for a day trip sometime next week. I know Elk but I've never been to Hunter. Your thoughts?

It's going to be this Wednesday. But after Mapquesting I think I'll just stick to Elk. I don't know that another 2 hrs each way is worth the 600 extra feet of vertical. I'll probably have everything to myself.

It's going to be this Wednesday. But after Mapquesting I think I'll just stick to Elk. I don't know that another 2 hrs each way is worth the 600 extra feet of vertical. I'll probably have everything to myself.

Hunter feels like a huge mountain. I went there in the very early season, and was amazed at how tall the mountain felt. 600 feet is pretty significant in terms of vertical. Though, I hear Elk is supposed to be a WONDERFUL mountain. Out of convenience and word of mouth I would stick to Elk.

• 3 weeks later...
agreed, places like elk can always add more jumps, places like bear can never add more vert...

Thats a little bit of a cop out. You don't judge a mountain on what it could be you judge it on what it is. Elk sounds more like my kind of mountain, but I must say, I had a lot more fun at bear than I expected.

dthmtluncrn,

you don't spend much time in the park?

Most of my time is spent on blacks. I take park runs, bucause I like to be well rounded, and lots of air is fun to me. I've dabbled in jibbing as well. All in all though, if I could live 2 min from montage or 2 min from bear, I would have to pick being 2 min from montage.