Utah Next Week

Timeless

Question to those of you with plenty of "out west" experience.

I'm heading out to SLC the end of next week and it looks like it's going to be pretty warm and sunny both before and during my time there, so assuming I'm not going to get any fresh snow and I dont want to spend all my time on groomers, where should I head and what should I expect.

I was think of taking one of the in-bounds or "just outside" guided tours, but wonder what kind of surface I'll be dealing with in these areas.

Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

Snowbasin. You have a ton of terrain off john paul and no name peak. Plus some good sidecountry skiing off no name. Just be sure to check the avy reports and bring proper gear before you go out of bounds.

Also Deer Valley has a fair amount of tree skiing. People don't go in the trees there - Don't want to rip thier 2K ski suits...

I forgot Exum runs tours if your looking for guided stuff, they do an interconnect tour that is pretty damn cool. Essentially you will ski the big six all in one day, it sounds like a lot of work but they really are pretty damn close to one another and your not really doing any uphill stuff. You don' have to be an expert but you should be able to traverse for short periods of time. I've never done it but my mom who is 47 said it was a good time. 16 miles round trip mostly down.

WPG can do a day of "heli" and Alta runs a snowcat package. Both aren't really worth the money as you can easily get to 99% of their terrain with a little knowledge and skins, but if you aren't into that they could be an option.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Especially JL's PM info.

Some information I maybe should have included:

I ride , not ski, so DV and Alta are out, does this also exclude the possibility of the interconnect tour?

As far as PC and the canyons go (and I think snowbasin may also fall into this category, wont their lower base elevations combined with 40-50 degree weather mean I'll be facing pretty unappealing stuff other than where groomed? Last time I went at this time of year PC was frozen first thing and very slushy by afternoon with nothing really much fun to ride off trail.

I do like PC, but found the conditions at LCC & BCC much better (altitude and shade?).

Thanks again for all the advice, more is welcome.

• 5 weeks later...

Given that SLC is at about 4200' and Snowbird base lodge is at 8100', don't base your ski resort decision on the forecast for SLC. They did get 6" in the last two days, not stellar, but at least it's still snowing. The highest point of lift accessed terrain is 11,000'. The weather in SLC maybe Spring like, but the up in the canyon (Little Cottonwood), it could be menacing.

I agree with Johnny Law about Park City. For skiing/riding, it kinda sucks unless you really like groomers. The party scene is top notch, but you can go there to party at night easily enough. A favorite of the locals is a smaller family place called Beaver Mountain. They don't get the epic snow of like the Bird, but they offer cheap tickets and really really sick terrain as well as long lasting hiden stashes if you can get a local to show you. Beer bribes work well. Also, Powder Mtn has Cat skiing/riding into terrain that isn't lift serviced and it's only $12/run or $300/full day. Give 'em a call, 1-801-745-3772 Ext 181, to see how often they are running.

For the most part, stick to the Bird for late season fun. Peter Griffen from Family Guy said it best.... http://www.metatube.com/?Seccion=Videos&am...amp;Video=15957

"Everybody's heard that the Bird is the word... b b b bird bird bird, the bird is the word."

Good Luck and have fun

Lucky SOB indeed,

just got back to the hotel after a great day at "PowMow", beautiful blue skies, deep soft (if heavy) snow, very few people there, overall possibly the best days riding for me ever. There was so much untracked snow on some huge open faces with enough steep to use it properly, it just never got old.

Now I have aching legs, sunburn on my neck (missed this with the sun block) and a F'in huge grin on my face that I suspect will not go away for a while.

No pictures as I left my camera back in PA, though one of the guys I was riding with today took some shots, I'll see if I can hijack them.

Snowbird tomorrow, hot sun, soft snow, gad valley and mineral basin, what better way is there to spend a Sunday.