Whats the Deal With this Hotel?

Ride Delaware ?

I was just thinking about mountain improvements and expansion, and this suddenly popped into my head. I know we have all grilled them about how ridiculous of an idea this hotel is, but I was wondering what the status of it was? Have they broken ground? Are they still aiming for next summer?

Although I think it will be a trainwreck, since nobody should want to travel to the poconos to ski and stay with Windham and Hunter about the same distance from the NYC Metro Area, the creation of this hotel most likely means expansion to the east which I am kinda excited about. Who knows when or if, but it sets up the best possible scenario for a little money finally being spent on the ski area and not the waterpark...

I suspect that with the credit market being what it is, C'back can't get a loan to finance the hotel, although there seemed to be some earht moving going on to the northeast of the Stevenson lift in the last weeks of the season.

I, for one, don't see the hotel being an improvement for those of us who use the mountian on a daily basis.

It was supposed to be built and in operation about 3 years ago as they've advertised each year that it will be ready the following. CB gets crazy busy at it is on weekends, without mountain expansion this will surely make me buy my seasons pass elsewhere if it ever does happen. They should instead spend the money on expanding the mountain as much as possible with new mad steezy terrain and glades or maybe to pay their employees a living wage and let the old guys who have been there from the start retire in peace instead of firing them right before retirement :wacko:

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

• 5 months later...

It was supposed to be built and in operation about 3 years ago as they've advertised each year that it will be ready the following. CB gets crazy busy at it is on weekends, without mountain expansion this will surely make me buy my seasons pass elsewhere if it ever does happen. They should instead spend the money on expanding the mountain as much as possible with new mad steezy terrain and glades or maybe to pay their employees a living wage and let the old guys who have been there from the start retire in peace instead of firing them right before retirement :wacko:

Pretty sure the rest is state lands. Big pocono park or w/e it is .

yup

" Big Pocono State Park is in Monroe County in northeastern Pennsylvania. The park consists of 1,306 acres of rugged terrain on the summit and slopes of Camelback Mountain. From the summit, visitors can enjoy a magnificent view of a vast portion of eastern Pennsylvania and portions of New Jersey and New York.

The park will close seven days after the end of deer season in December and will reopen as conditions permit in the spring.

Big Pocono State Park facilities are maintained in cooperation with the Camelback Ski Corporation."

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were just at Greek peak this summer, hiking and doing the zip lines and stuff.   They have a brand new lodge and indoor water park.  Whole place looked like it was designed by the same folks who did Jay, and similar to what I saw of CBs plans....

On the one hand, once this place opens, I can't imagine the lines on the weekend at CB.  Going to be insane I would think.  Pretty much takes CB out of weekend rotation for me I think.

On the other, could be a nice mid-week stay over with the kids...pick them up after school, drive 1.5, night ski, spend the night, ski all day, drive home...1-1/2 days of skiing with the kids and they only miss a day of classes... could be fun...

The Greek Peak water park and lodge was actually built before Jay. I think it opened in 2009. It's also about 20k feet smaller.

As to the increase in crowds, I think it will increase them, but I don't know to what extent. 453 rooms averaging 3 people a night on weekends is roughly 1,350 people. That doesn't seem like many, but the lift lines are already long there. An extra 1,000 would really add more stress to the infrastructure. Also, with more people staying at the mountain, the usually slow AM may be a little busier.