Winter climbing/skiing gloves

lineskier18

Okay so I'm in the Mountain Cold Weather Company at Norwich University and they said we can use our own winter gear gloves since the ones the Army gives us sucks. I'm looking for a pair of good gloves for both skiing and ice climbing in temperatures down to 30 below. I need good dexterity so that I can still tie any knots I need, so gloves with liners would be nice so that i can take the outer shell off if i need to. Mittens are definitely out of the question, and I'd prefer Gore-Tex in the gloves and a leather palm since I'd be rappelling with them. Also since MCW is a Rescue team as well as a mountaineering company, I need to be able to use any equipment quickly and easily. Any suggestions would be nice, since I really have no experience buying gloves for something like this and when I ski I'm more of a mitten person anyway.

I've got some pow's which I think were specifically made to knock off hestra. I like them, and I can afford them, unlike hestra. If I had more money I would buy hestra.

All that being said, I think glove fit is going to be important. You are going to want to try these guys on before you buy. Not sure who caries hestra at all. I've only seen them online and on the hill.

Hestra's measuring system works pretty well and is pretty true.

The Seth Morrison glove is very dexterous and it feels pretty damn warm from how lightweight it is. I also have the Army leather short XCR glove which is a bit warmer then the Morrison, but still dexterous enough to do basic tasks. As for being waterproof, get nikwax or the hestra leather balm. Rub it into the gloves every now and then and your hands will be dry all day. The gloves will also be a bit tight at first, just wear them and rub the leather balm into them. They'll stretch and fit perfect.

Edit- I'm assuming you need these by this winter, but i know BCoutlet.com did a huge hestra blowout back in the early summer. Some of them were up to 80% off which is damn good. They were all the off colors that no one liked, but i ended up picking up the seths for around 40 bucks they retails for 150.. Give BCoutlet a look, they might have some stuff left over.

Edit2- Here's a link

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/search.html?mv_session_id=kb8WJkXh&q=hestra&x=0&y=0

Edited by Dan-

Thanks for all the input, I was looking at Hestras before, but I was finding mixed reviews about them. Seems like everyone here likes them though. I think I'm gonna go with the either the Army Leather XCR, or the Seth's. Any advice on which I should get between those two? And any suggestions for liners to use with them?

Thanks for all the input, I was looking at Hestras before, but I was finding mixed reviews about them. Seems like everyone here likes them though. I think I'm gonna go with the either the Army Leather XCR, or the Seth's. Any advice on which I should get between those two? And any suggestions for liners to use with them?

I don't think you'll actually need a liner with the Army XCR, but I picked up some lightweight ultra thin liners at Campmor for $7 anyway.

i'll vouch for the hestras as well. i used my bro's once or twice last winter and for how thin they are, they're super warm and waterproof, so i copped a pair of the seths. everything dan said is spot on. use leather waterproofer of your choice and they'll hold up super well. i also had a pair of level leather gloves that i liked a lot, but hestras just seem to be made a little bit better.