09/10 Quiver Thread

phillycore

Skis / Bindings

02/03 Head Monster iM70 / Tyrolia SLD 12 - This ski doesn't get much snow time. It's too soft for me.

04/05 K2 Apache Crossfire / Marker Piston M1 12.0 - Great for carving

08/09 Nordica Hot Rod Jet Fuel with XBI 3.12 system - New ski for me

Boots

05/06 Nordica Speedmachine 12

Poles

Some rentals I stole from Killington. Ok seriously, I have no idea, carbon something....

Have you gotten to ride the Unions at all? Like em? I'm really diggin the tech, and the write ups on them. Pretty sure they'll be my next bindings. Couldn't hurt to hear another review though.

I dig them.

I'm pretty good at destroying things, and that was holding especially true for bindings. The Unions have held up to my abuse very well, and I would definitely put them in the I would buy them again column.

I dig them.

I'm pretty good at destroying things, and that was holding especially true for bindings. The Unions have held up to my abuse very well, and I would definitely put them in the I would buy them again column.

Excellent... I think I'm pretty sold on them. Now I just need to figure out which model suites me the best.

I need an all mountain true twin, on the stiff side but not a 2x4 board. I also need it cheap. Anyone seeing anything interesting online?

http://www.brociety.com/ Has been dumping a ton of boards lately, and def a few of that variety. Not being online all the time makes it hard for you to capitalize on that, but keep your eye on it while at the library.

In order of ascending age & descending usage

Lib-Tech Dark 161 (MTX) with Salomon Relay-pro bindings

Ride Timeless 164 with Technine (Dominator?) bindings

M3 158.5 Discord with Ride EX bindings

Salomon F22 boots

I'm thinking it's time for something new, either something softer and lighter or a rocker / banana type thing.

Has anyone tried any of the new banana / camber combo boards? I'm interested in how the camber / rocker combination on the NS evo and Lib-Tech "power banana" work, from a theoretical perspective and from anyone's experience.

Has anyone tried any of the new banana / camber combo boards? I'm interested in how the camber / rocker combination on the NS evo and Lib-Tech "power banana" work, from a theoretical perspective and from anyone's experience.

My Neversummer has the combo camber deal. I never rode any of their older stuff so I can't really compare it there. I only really ride that board out west in the deep stuff. For that it was amazing. There were several times when my friends were getting stuck and I just floated on by with a dumb grin on my face.

My other two boards both have the banana deal. They tend to be a little chatty when just cruising around, but for jumping/jibbing the rocker is money.

My Neversummer has the combo camber deal. I never rode any of their older stuff so I can't really compare it there. I only really ride that board out west in the deep stuff. For that it was amazing. There were several times when my friends were getting stuck and I just floated on by with a dumb grin on my face.

My other two boards both have the banana deal. They tend to be a little chatty when just cruising around, but for jumping/jibbing the rocker is money.

What NS board are you riding? If you don't mind me asking... what size board are you on and how much do you weigh. Sorry to get all personal on you, but I'm thinking about a NS and trying to decide what size I want. I'm on a 156 Burton Custom now at 160lbs. It is a great fit for an all around board for me. I'm hoping stay around the same length as any longer is going to not be as fun to dick around on in the park or kickers. I also love to be in the trees, so I want something I can easily throw around, but still has some float-ability for dump days.

Edited by nick malozzi

What NS board are you riding? If you don't mind me asking... what size board are you on and how much do you weigh. Sorry to get all personal on you, but I'm thinking about a NS and trying to decide what size I want. I'm on a 156 Burton Custom now at 160lbs. It is a great fit for an all around board for me. I'm hoping stay around the same length as any longer is going to not be as fun to dick around on in the park or kickers. I also love to be in the trees, so I want something I can easily throw around, but still has some float-ability for dump days.

161 Neversummer SL-R. I weigh around 170. I like the board a lot. Its a little stiff for everyday riding for me, but for pow it slays.

I only have like 10-13 days on it. The first week was in CO last year. It was like 60ish degrees out for a week, and then I showed up and it dumped like 2 feet. Your welcome.

Second week was in Tahoe, we got like 1-2ft each of the first 3 days. Good times.

I'm hoping my luck continues this year. I've only been out west 3 times now, and everytime there has been insane amounts of pow.

Edited by ectobar

Sweet, thanks... I'm thinking about the Legacy-R or the SL-R. Probably in either a 156 or 159 (but leaning towards staying at a 156 since it seems pretty comfy for my riding style). I want to hit up a shop though so I can compare the "mid-wide" Legacy to my current board. I don't have huge feet (9.5 boot), so I don't need a wide but i think a little girth might be a good thing overall.

Thanks again man.

Nick, remember that rockered boards ride shorter and are more maneuverable. Go at least 159, you live in Colorado, not pa.

I was under the impression you could get away with a shorter board if it was rockered when talking powder. So it seemed to me like I could get a rockered 156, and get more float at the same length I'm already at. I'm aware I'm in CO. I rocked a 154 when I was in PA, haha. If I was looking for a pure pow board (a la open bowls) I'd certainly go 159 (if not slightly bigger), but I spend most of my time in the trees and I like to be able to tun hard quickly.

Is my thought process wrong here? I'm certainly open to suggestion... all this rocker business is all new to me. So the more I can take in the better.

Yes a rockered 156 is going to "Float" better then a cambered 156, but with rocker, you are going to be able turn easier and the board is going to ride 3-4cm shorter then it's cambered equivalent. So riding a rockered 160 is going to feel like a 156 and so forth. Try and demo some rockered stuff before buying. If you didn't live so damn far away, i'd be more then willing to let you ride what i have.

edit- because i suck at proof reading

Edited by Dan-

Yes a rockered 156 is going to "Float" better then a cambered 156, but with rocker, you are going to be able turn easier and the board is going to ride 3-4cm shorter then it's cambered equivalent. So riding a rockered 160 is going to feel like a 156 and so forth. Try and demo some rockered stuff before buying. If you didn't live so damn far away, i'd be more then willing to let you ride what i have.

edit- because i suck at proof reading

Word... it seems like riding a rockered board that is the same size is going to, for lack of better words, "exponentially" increases my turn-ability. Which is exactly what I'm going for. I do want to demo though for sure... I may not pull the trigger on anything until the end of the season, but I want to get a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for in the mean time.

As far as the rocker+camber boards go, I haven't really bought into that. While i was out in Utah last year, i talked to a guy who was riding the NS SL-R he had 2 of them one for regular days and one for pow days. He has the 58? i think thats what size it comes in, and he said it liked to dive into the snow unless you were hauling ass.

Other then that, i haven't ridden anything from Never Summer, from what i've heard they are bomber as fuck and can take some abuse.

I just feel that rocker+ camber in one board kind of takes away the point of having rocker to begin with. Since the board is rockered between the bindings once you stand on it, it's going to be flat, then you'll have the same 2 points of contact driving into the snow just like a regular cambered snowboard, The whole point of rocker was to get rid of that.

Nick also look at the different types or rocker since just about every company has there own "version" of rocker technology. Some companies believe in rocker that starts outside the bindings, while others believe in rocker in between the bindings.