09/10 Quiver Thread

phillycore

As far as the rocker+camber boards go, I haven't really bought into that. While i was out in Utah last year, i talked to a guy who was riding the NS SL-R he had 2 of them one for regular days and one for pow days. He has the 58? i think thats what size it comes in, and he said it liked to dive into the snow unless you were hauling ass.

Other then that, i haven't ridden anything from Never Summer, from what i've heard they are bomber as fuck and can take some abuse.

I just feel that rocker+ camber in one board kind of takes away the point of having rocker to begin with. Since the board is rockered between the bindings once you stand on it, it's going to be flat, then you'll have the same 2 points of contact driving into the snow just like a regular cambered snowboard, The whole point of rocker was to get rid of that.

Nick also look at the different types or rocker since just about every company has there own "version" of rocker technology. Some companies believe in rocker that starts outside the bindings, while others believe in rocker in between the bindings.

so the rocker us underfoot, with camber in the nose and tail? that's the most asinine thing i've heard in a while. camber underfoot with rocker tip and tail would make more sense it seems. thats what a lot of ski companies are doing.

I may have said it backwards, to much thinking in class today

edit- nevermind i was right. NeverSummer has rocker between the bindings, then the tip and tail are cambered.

Lib has the same thing with there banana 2 camber or whatever they are calling it. Aswell as rome has it in a few boards like the Anthem SS but they also have regular rockered snowboards.

Hard to remember everything this year with every company doing something different

Edited by Dan-

All the different rocker variations are really confusing, it seems you can get everything from flat, to full rocker to rocker plus camber, to flat between the feet and some kick-up at each end, the combinations seem endless and there seems to be little objective information on line or in the mag's that helps. I thought it was interesting that the "inventers" of banana tech went to "c2" this year and put the camber back at the end of the boards, seems like maybe just responding to criticism that the boards were too "squirelly" at speed, this is the same that NS use on their "RC" technology.

I was all up for adding a rocker to my collection this year but now I can't decide what the hell I want.

I never really saw any of this squirrellyness at high speed on rocker boards.

edit- I pretty much ride rockered boards exclusively now, and i know many people who are doing the same. I work in a shop and me and another guy were kind of the guinea pigs last year as we were the only ones in the shop that got rockered stuff. Now just about everyone in the shop is buying rockered boards this year.

I'm not really sure where you are at and what mountains you shred, but if your ever at blue your welcome to take something i have for a ride.

Edited by Dan-

Been reading up a bunch on this stuff. Evo has a few FAQs that are put together nicely, all basic stuff but thought someone might learn from it:

http://www.evogear.com/info/helpcenter/494.aspx

Anybody, have any experience with the k2 rockers? The Turbo Dream sounds pretty sweet in my opinion:

http://k2snowboarding.com/boards/turbo-dream

Been reading up a bunch on this stuff. Evo has a few FAQs that are put together nicely, all basic stuff but thought someone might learn from it:

Anybody, have any experience with the k2 rockers? The Turbo Dream sounds pretty sweet in my opinion:

i snowboard maybe twice a year, so i've got no experience riding the board, nor would me riding it be any sort of credible opinion whatsoever, but everyone i've talked to who owns one absolutely loves it. a member here who now rides in the PNW has one and absolutely loves it, and one of the guys from nestors got one last year and said it was the best board he's ever ridden. seems like a happy medium of an all mountain board. not crazy rocker like on a straight up pow board, but a little more than the jib rocker a lot of companies are using, so it'd probably work pretty well as an everyday board.

I'll tell you in about a month when i slay big boulder on a 168 gyrator. Other then that i can only say what i've heard. And the two sources are both the ones that Justin mentioned.

:confused so you're basically telling me i should not listen to you when it comes to board advice?

Would you like to guess what the K2 REP was riding at boulder on opening day last year? He also exclusively rides it...

I haven't ridden it yet, so im anxious to get on it and see how it is. Do whatever you want as far as taking advice. I wouldn't judge people by what boards they ride and when just because you don't agree.

Edited by Dan-

Would you like to guess what the K2 REP was riding at boulder on opening day last year? He also exclusively rides it...

I haven't ridden it yet, so im anxious to get on it and see how it is. Do whatever you want as far as taking advice. I wouldn't judge people by what boards they ride and when just because you don't agree.

I'm guessing because its what he had and is used to riding. Seems like a waste of money to me though to rock a 168 pow board at a PA resort. How much do you weigh btw?

Oh, and Dan... I was just giving you shit. Don't get all TT on me now.

Edited by nick malozzi

If you show up at my resort on a non-powder day with big powder boards I will point and laugh and call you a gaper. I even live "out west" and mostly ride "pow stashes". You ride a big powder board in PA and you are either smoking crack or you need to move. Zaldon I'm talking to you.

I never really saw any of this squirrellyness at high speed on rocker boards.

edit- I pretty much ride rockered boards exclusively now, and i know many people who are doing the same. I work in a shop and me and another guy were kind of the guinea pigs last year as we were the only ones in the shop that got rockered stuff. Now just about everyone in the shop is buying rockered boards this year.

I'm not really sure where you are at and what mountains you shred, but if your ever at blue your welcome to take something i have for a ride.

Interesting to get a real opinion on the stability at speed. Unfortunately the chances of me getting to Blue this year have reduced considerably since I moved to California. Appreciate the offer though.

Now that everyone has rockers I'm going to look for an end of season bargain, last year no one had any BTX boards, I think this year there will be plenty of leftovers.

If you show up at my resort on a non-powder day with big powder boards I will point and laugh and call you a gaper. I even live "out west" and mostly ride "pow stashes". You ride a big powder board in PA and you are either smoking crack or you need to move. Zaldon I'm talking to you.

Your right about one thing, i do need to move.

I ski on a big powder skis at Blue and it's great because we have the big piles of mad sweet and low and they just plow right through them...

Right now I have the Elan S12s, Atomic LT11s, Rossi Vipers, Saloman XScream, Rossi Scratch BC sprayers and my Nordica blowers..I want some sort of midfat carver for this season..maybe similar to what Root just bought..in about a 180 length..

the only 'carver' you'll find in a 180ish is gonna be a gs ski. when you say midfat, are we talking traditional low to mid 70s midfat, or real midfat, like 80-90ish? something like the nordica helldiver in the lower 170 range would suit you well.

Frontside ski is still to be decided....I am between Kastle FX84, Nordica HR Pro (with either a Jester or new FKS) or Blizzard 8.7 IQ Max

East coast fat: NeverSummer prototype 102 w/ Jesters

West coast fat: K2 PBR Rocker w/ Jesters

Boots:

IL Moro T

Krypton Pro

Poles:

Goode 10.4

• Like 1

Frontside ski is still to be decided....I am between Kastle FX84, Nordica HR Pro (with either a Jester or new FKS) or Blizzard 8.7 IQ Max

East coast fat: NeverSummer prototype 102 w/ Jesters

West coast fat: K2 PBR Rocker w/ Jesters

Boots:

IL Moro T

Krypton Pro

Poles:

Goode 10.4

i'm kinda surprised you havent jumped into a pair of full tilts with all the flexon love you've got going on.

i'm kinda surprised you havent jumped into a pair of full tilts with all the flexon love you've got going on.

Granted I was in the same Flexon for 20 years (replaced the shells 4 times and the liners 3 times, but the same Flexons ;)), but the Krypton is a Flexon on steroids, IMHO it is a better boot, laterally it is stiffer. It is almost worth going to the Krypton so you don't have to deal with that antiquated bail system.

The snowboard company? This should be a good story.

Yeah the same, they make a damn sweet ski.

I'm also not a fan of any quick lace system.

Thats just crazy talk. Lacing your boots in the cold sucks, having the ability to quickly tighten up your boots is money. I can understand maybe not liking some of the first gen quick lace stuff, but the double boa is legit, and the Salomon system isn't really any different than normal lacing, just quicker.

I've been rocking the F-20's for a couple years now. The smaller footprint took some getting used to when dealing with bindings, but aside from that things have been great.