09/10 Quiver Thread

phillycore

Thats just crazy talk. Lacing your boots in the cold sucks, having the ability to quickly tighten up your boots is money. I can understand maybe not liking some of the first gen quick lace stuff, but the double boa is legit, and the Salomon system isn't really any different than normal lacing, just quicker.

I've been rocking the F-20's for a couple years now. The smaller footprint took some getting used to when dealing with bindings, but aside from that things have been great.

Boa is ok as long as it doesn't break on the hill then your fucked, as well as any other quick lace system which is a big reason i don't like them. It doesn't take long to tie boots to begin with, and I never have to re tighten my boots on the hill, so thats not a problem for me.

Only thing I'm digging this year is the Boa Conda that K2 is using. Best heel hold i've seen out of any boot ever. I'm getting the K2 T1's this year, and even they are still lace boots just with the boa conda.

Boa is ok as long as it doesn't break on the hill then your fucked, as well as any other quick lace system which is a big reason i don't like them. It doesn't take long to tie boots to begin with, and I never have to re tighten my boots on the hill, so thats not a problem for me.

Only thing I'm digging this year is the Boa Conda that K2 is using. Best heel hold i've seen out of any boot ever. I'm getting the K2 T1's this year, and even they are still lace boots just with the boa conda.

Breakage could be a serious issue. I imagine it might be a hassle to get a boa replaced, but they have been around for a couple years now so I hope shops are set up to accommodate that issue. The salomon though are essentially just normal laces tied together at the end with a handle. If they break you can put some normal laces in there and it pry wouldn't be a problem. Never had to do that, but I did take the handle apart to get a peek and its just a lace with a knot to hold it in the handle.

I know what salomon's system is. I've tried on everything from f20, f22's, dialougue, they all just fit me bad. Shops are set up to fix boa, I've had to fix quiet a few of them, and sometimes they can be a complete pain in the ass.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Dialogues feel great and fit well. Went to get my pass yesterday, and picked up a twice used 09 Riders Choice BTX for $210. I still want to pick up some new bindings, but I need to curb my spending a bit for now. So maybe a midseason purchase, or if a good clean snipe deal comes along. So my quiver this year:

09 GNU Rider's Choice/05 Burton Custom Bindings/09 Solomon Dialogue Boots.

So the Dialogues feel great and fit well. Went to get my pass yesterday, and picked up a twice used 09 Riders Choice BTX for $210. I still want to pick up some new bindings, but I need to curb my spending a bit for now. So maybe a midseason purchase, or if a good clean snipe deal comes along. So my quiver this year:

09 GNU Rider's Choice/05 Burton Custom Bindings/09 Solomon Dialogue Boots.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the BTX given that you seem to be not park oriented and something of a traditionalist (maybe a bit overstated, but I meant to say that you don't seem to be driven by having to have the latest "thing").

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the BTX given that you seem to be not park oriented and something of a traditionalist (maybe a bit overstated, but I meant to say that you don't seem to be driven by having to have the latest "thing").

Yea, I used to spend a lot of time in the parks back in PA because I found overall that the rest of the mountain was not as fun (not to say I didn't ride all over the mountain, but had more fun in the parks since all the runs were so short). When I moved out here I sold my park board to get something more Freestyle/Freeride. I picked up a Burton Custom, and have to say overall it was a great board, but last season the nose and tell started getting a lot softer then then middle of the board. It gave it a squirllier ride that I wasn't stoked on. That and a nice core shot at Keystone made me think it was time to retire it. The Custom wasn't floating in the pow as much as I wanted, although it certainly wasn't bad. I toyed with the classic knowledge of going bigger/wider and picking up a pow board, but didn't like the fact that I'd lose the playfulness of a freestyle board. So reading the zero camber and rocker reviews it sounded like it would fit me well. I went a sized up from my Custom on the Rider's Choice in order to gain float that way in addition to the added float of the banana. Overall the flex is softer then my Custom, but it is more consistent tip to tail. I wanted something a touch softer though since I've ridden with a few people out here that just ride everything on the mountain like it was the terrain park, and that really appealed to me as I used to skateboard. So I wanted something I could dick around with more. So I got a softer board, and softer boots. We'll see how it all works out. As far as the Magne Traction goes, I'm still not totally sold on it, but I figured for the price I got the board for it was worth a try. Either way, I can't wait to get on the thing. I had to put in in the garage, cause I kept staring at it sitting in my dinning room. Stoked!

Edited by nick malozzi

Nick until you get a table, it's just the open space when you walk in the front door. When we talked on FB I didn't even realize what board it was. Now I definitely want to give it a try.

You speak the truth sir. Right now it is the "Glenn's Pile of Miscellaneous Debris Room" if anything. You'll def get your chance on it, cause I want to see if I'm metal enough to ride a Nitro.

Edited by nick malozzi

Honestly, i think Magne-traction is a load of shit. Road it all last season, and didn't really notice an advantage in edge hold in harder conditions. The board overall is a great board though, super fun and is good for just about anything.

Honestly, i think Magne-traction is a load of shit. Road it all last season, and didn't really notice an advantage in edge hold in harder conditions. The board overall is a great board though, super fun and is good for just about anything.

I have an MTX 161 dark series (magne traction but no banana) and I have to say that the only tine I really noticed it last year was on really crusty days at camelback when they had not been able to groom stuff out and left a chunky frozen surface, it seemed to get through that better than my other board (164 ride timeless), maybe the characteristics of the board were just better, who knows. It seems everyone has come up with their own version of it though, marketing can be a wonderfult thing.

Don't you tune constantly anyways? It's not going to help you.

Agreed

The comments across the interwebs talking about how the magne traction allows you to tune less and still keep an edge were what peaked my interest since I tune my board once a year. However, like I said... i'm not sold on it yet.

After much debate, looks like I'm going to go with Volkl Mantra's for something that'll rip in most any conditions (133/96/116 @ 22.5m in the 184cm length). Pretty stiff ski so they should rip in the east, and provide some better float in the pow then my PEs (which will return as my daily skis this year).

Uh what the fuck are you talking about. I've never sharpened edges once.

Edit- Only time i've ever taken a file to my board is to deburr and smooth out the edge after rock shots to the edge.

Edited by Dan-

Just ordered a 158 Never Summer Evo R (white one) and a pair of Black Union Forces. Pretty stoked on the setup and the Smith I/O goggles I got from Saurus seem pretty sick.

Nice man. I've been wanting to get on a NS board for awhile, but still haven't had the change.

Nice man. I've been wanting to get on a NS board for awhile, but still haven't had the change.

I use to ride an Evo a few years ago and liked it a lot. It was just a little stiff for the park. Now it has the rocker and camber I think it should be a lot of fun to ride. Stable at speed but still easy to press and butter cause of the rocker, can not wait to get on it.

Thinking about trying a Bataleon board. I tried reverse camber last year and wasn't so sure of it. It was awesome on jibs but not necessarily on jumps. I don't know, I want the next best gimmick this year. Although TBT has been on Bataleon boards since their inception and it is on everyboard they make.

Thinking about trying a Bataleon board. I tried reverse camber last year and wasn't so sure of it. It was awesome on jibs but not necessarily on jumps. I don't know, I want the next best gimmick this year. Although TBT has been on Bataleon boards since their inception and it is on everyboard they make.

Those boards do look interesting and seems like a good concept. What reverse camber board did you ride? The reason I went with the Never Summer is because it has reverse camber in the middle of the board but regular camber towards the tips so you get added stability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...