Wolf Creek, CO

train36

I read an article about Wolf Creek not too long ago and the place seemed interesting. They get a lot of snow, have cheap lift tickets and from what I read it doesn't look like it ever gets crowded. It looks like it is mostly trees and some bowls with not many groomers. I checked out the website yesterday and as of right now they are 100% open. I couldn't believe it but check it out : Wolf Creek . It looks like it may be tough to get to with not many options for lodging that are close. I would probably fly into Denver and rent something with four wheel drive. I am considering this place for a trip this year as it looks like a cool place to go. If anyone has any information about it please let me know.

Good snow, cheap, low crowds but pretty flat when compared to its neighbors.

When it really dumps it is so flat that you have a tough time keeping forward momentum. They tend to get a little more snow than others so its not all that surprising that their open.....plus they don't really have anything super steep and boney that needs time to fill in.

If your in the area definitely spend a day there, hopefully it snows and you'll have an epic day meadow skipping. That said I wouldn't want to be there for multiple days as there isn't enough interesting terrain.

Do a little CO tour, fly into Denver and hit up WP as its one of the closest to Denver, drive a few hours to Vail and ski, ride down 24 towards Salida and hit up Crested Butte, then go further south to Wolf Creek which would put you in perfect position to hit up Telluride which is a 1000 times more impressive than Wolf Creek, last leg would be a loop up to A$$pen .

Some of those drives would be a little long (4 or 5 hours) but you would get to see alot of very cool state and get alot of different skiing in.

johnny hit the nail on the head. Wold Creek actually gets the most snow of any ski area in Colorado by a significant margin, but their terrain is lacking.

Another suggestion, if you do Johnny's little tour he suggested, and go down towards Salida and Crested Butte. Another area that also does very well on snow, but with has some amazing terrain is Monarch. Mirkwood is some of the best terrain I have skied and it takes forever to get tracked out, due to an obscene amount of people unwilling to do the 10 minute hike to get there.

but with has some amazing terrain is Monarch. Mirkwood is some of the best terrain I have skied and it takes forever to get tracked out, due to an obscene amount of people unwilling to do the 10 minute hike to get there.

I forgot about Monarch & Mirkwood...excellent suggestion....god damn it now I really want to go to CO and do a little tour of the state.

I skiied there 3 yeawrs ago and it was awesome. With a little hiking there is sick terrain and the left side of the mountain is basically one big glade with random cliffs everywhere. It hadnt snowed in 4 days when I went and there was still powder everywhere. The tickets were cheap and there were no lines, but it was a little flat. That was avoidable I think. It has no park but that does not really matter. Wolf Creek is definitely worth going to. I went to taos and winter park and got snow both times. Wolf creek was more fun than both. My avatar is from there.

Edited by paolo

That excursion does sound like fun, thanks for all the information. That would be like what I did in Utah but with a lot more travel time in between mountains. When in Utah I hit Snowbird, The Canyons , Park City, Brighton and Snowbasin and it was cool to seee a variety of mountains. I would definitely be down to do something like that in Colorado.