offficial opening day

rummy

Elk might be nice but Vermont did get snow while we got freezing rain, so um... But seriously Im so pumped for opening, should get up there for Friday. Hopefully they should have more open then just Susq and Tioga, I knew they were looking at Upper and Lower Tunk last week but with the 2 ice/rain events the last few days who knows now.

Didnt see their new picture of the day, wow that looks nice.

Edited by jdrob2ski

Well Moe, it doesnt seem like you really give a shit about traveling, so I would probably make the trip to VT... However, if you wanted a little break from traveling, then Elk and Sno would be a possible break... If you want terrain though, go to VT...

dont understand these wednesday openings with the rain we had and marginal snowmaking temps between now and then :confused

Elk has a 100 day season guarantee for season pass holders, to the point that they will refund a fraction of the money spent if they dont get to 100. (Happens once in a while with bad years, they only get to 96 so they refund 4/100 of the pass price) Because they usually close on a Sat in March, a Wednesday to Sat schedule lets them close on a March Sat with right at (or over) 100 days. They have opened during the week for as long as I can remember.

Edit: Ok so I cant count... if they open Wednesday 100 days will take them to march 25, not a Saturday. The previous Sat (the 20th) would be 95 days. To make sure they have 100 days and close on a Sat would be March 27, 102 days. So technically they could have opened Friday. Who knows, although as I said they always seem to like to open up mid-week no matter what.

Edited by jdrob2ski

Well Moe, it doesnt seem like you really give a shit about traveling, so I would probably make the trip to VT... However, if you wanted a little break from traveling, then Elk and Sno would be a possible break... If you want terrain though, go to VT...

that's the dilemna, I'm not up for a long haul again. I'll do Sno and Elk's opening day and see how I feel then. I might still head up.

I would definitely skip Greek Peak... They could have made substantial upgrades since I was there 6 years ago, but I was not at all impressed... If Elk has the Quad open you should have plenty of good snow... Looked like they were blowing on that side of the mountain, but a local needs to give us the definitive yes... They could have a ton of trails open if they didn't have highways for trails...

Thats the one problem with Elk getting trails open early season, Im pretty sure if you took the width of Susquehanna and Tunkhannock and combined them you would get 5 normal trails... I still cant for the life of me figure out why they widened Susquehanna 10 feet. Between those 2 and Slalom you could have a nice sized area, haha

Also it looks from the pictures that they were blowing on upper and lower Tunk as well as the Lack Spur, hopefully they will be open Wednesday. (Although with the rain prob not until the weekend) Dont know for sure though.

that's the dilemna, I'm not up for a long haul again. I'll do Sno and Elk's opening day and see how I feel then. I might still head up.

Go to VT if you can. I skied Okemo Fri., Sat., and Sun. They had some snow that turned to r@!n last night but have plenty of snow. It was below freezing this morning when I left and should groom out nicely. They opened some trails on natural only Sunday and it was thin but nice and soft. No rocks. Should have some snowmaking temps this week and open more trails. No crowds.

Which days you looking at? You could try the Skillz for a day and then work your way south again...

I'm heading to Elk early tomorrow for opening, no point going to Sno for 2 hours and then sleeping in a car. Waste of $ and my bed is nice n warm. I'll figure out where to go from there or just hang at Elk. That's the final non-plan plan.

I'll probably be back up at Hunter again this Friday if your going to be in the area... Holla at me if your not off to the MRV...

I haven't ruled out Hunter. It'll come down to 1) Conditions @ Elk and 2) Am I up for a long drive, and how long? Good thing is, I'll have a shorter drive north from Elk vs. here.