Skiing East vs West: It's not just ice vs powder

sexkitten

By BRETT MARTEL, Associated Press Writer Brett Martel, Associated Press Writer

Mon Dec 28, 5:33 pm ET

Long before settling amid the soaring peaks of southwestern Colorado, where she helped create a ski experience unlike any other in North America, Jen Brill learned to carve turns on blue ice at some of the better known ski resorts in the East.

"I remember seeing sheets of ice for hundreds of feet and just trying to hold on," Brill recalled.

No longer does Brill concern herself with what Eastern skiers sometimes refer to with a bit of humor and hyperbole as "bullet proof" ice.

At Silverton

The snow in Corbetts is rarely deep or forgiving...as most people sideslip the entrance..and it's not a 2 story drop..I wonder if the author even visited all these places..

Is it more than 2-stories?

Have you done it?

From the vids on Youtube and such, it almost looks like it can vary depending on the snowpack. I donno.

Not according to Dennis Bamford. :banghead

Thats what happens when you go to keystone everyday

I wouldn't drive out there to just ride park everyday. To each their own though.

Edited by Dan-

There are just other places in Colorado that I'd rather be.

Keystone kills it with Park but terrain wise they are lacking compared to others.

for what it's worth, several people i know who have moved there and come back to PA left because of the scene/people, and not because they didn't like the terrain better. for some people, there's more to life than getting drunk/high after riding every single day, which it seems that nick and glenn have figured out by actually having jobs out there. its the kids that move out for school that just get burned out on it all it seems.

• Like 3

for what it's worth, several people i know who have moved there and come back to PA left because of the scene/people, and not because they didn't like the terrain better. for some people, there's more to life than getting drunk/high after riding every single day, which it seems that nick and glenn have figured out by actually having jobs out there. its the kids that move out for school that just get burned out on it all it seems.

It's living in summit county thats wack. All everyone really does is get fucked up every night and ski the next day, it's sort of like being in isolation. Living in tourist trapping ski towns sucks. Everything is expensive, nothings open late, and there's nothing to do besides party and ski. It's fun for a while, but having a normal city type life is almost impossible...you get burned out, quick. Either that or run out of money. It's a shitty place to be as a young kid in a fucked economy, but people still do it.

For a while I wanted to live in the mountains full-time and take a break from school, but I'd still miss denver. School really keeps me in check plus there's tons of shit to do in denver all the time, having that plus 60 miles to keystone is a pretty awesome thing...

• Like 1

It's living in summit county thats wack. All everyone really does is get fucked up every night and ski the next day, it's sort of like being in isolation. Living in tourist trapping ski towns sucks. Everything is expensive, nothings open late, and there's nothing to do besides party and ski. It's fun for a while, but having a normal city type life is almost impossible...you get burned out, quick. Either that or run out of money. It's a shitty place to be as a young kid in a fucked economy, but people still do it.

For a while I wanted to live in the mountains full-time and take a break from school, but I'd still miss denver. School really keeps me in check plus there's tons of shit to do in denver all the time, having that plus 60 miles to keystone is a pretty awesome thing...

exactly why if/when i move out west, i want it to be either SLC or seattle. having lived in philly for over 6 years now, it'd be tough for me to be somewhere that doesn't have the conveniences i'm used to open at dumb hours of the night. hungry after a long night at the bar? no problem, chubby's is open til like 4am. you're spot on about the ski town thing. when kev and i were out in utah last year, we were out in PC for a night, and the only things open past like 7pm were the bars. seems like living in a city that's relatively close to good skiing and still being able to have a steady job is my preferred way to attack it, should the opportunity present itself.

• Like 1

I've ridin in Austria a couple of times(Kitzbuhel)...It's a totally different vibe(not in a bad way).The Alps are fuckin awesome,plus the town is like 900 some years old.You could ski/ride to a different town for lunch,then ride back.They had a great bus/shuttle system.The scenery,old world towns,and awesome food were a plus to the riding.Language was never a problem.The party started as soon as the lift opened.I took a run down the famed Hahnenkamm world cup course which was way cool.

It's all give and take... I ride less days then I did on the east coast, but when I ride I'm on better terrain and having way more fun then I did back home. The bonus for me out here is I'm also a climber and kayaker, and I have great access to that as well. This area really favors people like me who like to be a "jack of all trades". I'm not sick at any of my hobbies, because I don't have enough time to devote myself fully to any of them, but I'm cool with that. I like the variety, and I love beer. So this is the spot for me, and it's why I'm in the market to buy a house. I miss my family a lot, but in all honesty there was no way in hell I was going to stay in the Lehigh Valley and be happy. I would have ended up going north... so in the long run I wouldn't get to see them all that more often then I do now. I always encourage anyone to make the trek if they think it is what is right for them. It was a lot of work, and took a lot of money and effort to get where I am today... but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Every time I feel my board floating through some pow, I'm topping out a climb, or setting up for something in my kayak I just think how lucky I am to be out here doing what I love to do as often as I see fit. It certainly isn't for everyone, I have friends who came out before and after me, and I'm now watching a handful of them pack up and head back. Other's are planning wedding, or like me buying homes. I also have friends back home that talked a big game (and still are talking) in terms of moving west, and they are still sitting back home with their thumbs up their asses telling me how they wish they could. Never realizing that they can at any point, but don't have the balls. Moral of the story, if you think it is for you... just get off your ass and make it happen. The worst thing that can happen is you turn around and head back after a few months/years. At least if that's the case you come back with some great stories and the knowledge that you tried.

• Like 6

Is it more than 2-stories?

Have you done it?

From the vids on Youtube and such, it almost looks like it can vary depending on the snowpack. I donno.

When I did Corbett's 2 years ago it was not a 2 story drop and that was not an epic snow year. It was not a soft pillow landing either.