Stone grind

Stevo

When exactly is it time to get it stone ground? I never did this to my boards but none of them are real old either. Also anyone know a good shop that can take some bevel off my freestlye board. I plan on getting a new board and like to go about -2 on my base bevel for rails and such, I did this to myself to my old board but don't want to mess up a new board.

A few of the very good people at CB have seemed to disappear...Mark blew out his ACL and did something to his wrist in a race, so he had to get an operation, and was out for the season.

And Tom wanted to "see his kid more" What a loser ;)

Will is a nice guy, and would probably be my next choice.

They also have a pretty good stone grinder at CB..however I think there closed for the season.

As far as when it is time to get your skis ground, if they base is not flat (excluding atomics) then you should have them ground. One of my volkls is base high and edge high at the same time, the other is just a little base high as I recall...That is something I can tell just by looking at them. However if you have a truebar you should be able to hold it to your ski and see if its flat.

Atomics are a little convex (or is it concave?) (edge high) at the tips of them, and I think that the warenty is void if you have them stoneground, so I wouldn't try to remove it...

I'm with Atomic on this one. Don't get it done if you don't absolutley have to. It takes forever to get skis running well afterwards.

Yeech, I disliked every tuning job I've had done at CB since Mark left. Agree their equipment is outdated, and overautomated. I much prefer the live-in tuning system.

Atomics are a little convex (or is it concave?) (edge high) at the tips of them, and I think that the warenty is void if you have them stoneground, so I wouldn't try to remove it...

they're concave, cause when you pressure them, it bends back to flat. Because the torque one puts on a flat race ski, will cause it to be concave. So atomic makes their bases convex, so when they're pressured, they become flat :)

but like skimom said, after a stone grind, there is countless days of waxing and brushing, to get them running fast again :)

Jeff thats not completly true.  They are convex because the way the channels go in the ski, its just the way they are made.

yea i know, because of the channels, but that's one of the reasons, for the channels, to be able to withstand the great torque that is applied to the ski....which is aided by the curved ski :)

Haha I tune myself too, but when you have a base thats not flat, thats not gonna be good to race on

Dude - you should check out BC's machine..... From what I have learned so far - it is one of the best. Andy really listens and takes his time, probably more than Mark would like him too! :nono