Whiteface 1/30-1/31

mbike-ski

damn cold but a great weekend. -14d when we left my cousins farm in silver lake lake saturday morning. on the hill by 9:15 to follow the sun aroun little whiteface then up to the summit before breaking around 11:30. run of the morning was upper skyward on the first wave of the summit chair opening. after lunch lapped the lookout mountain chair a few times on wilmington - not quite sure what the ice warning was all about? firm but edgable like every where else.

sunday was a bit warmer, gotta love 20's with sun and snow showers all day. serious fun in the man made po on mountain run before hitting parrons and lookout mt to cover as much of the hill as we could. bumped into face4me from nschat - its always cool in a semi weird cyber way to stop for a breather and have someone ski up to you and ask if you post on line! a great trip, can't wait to get back when thers a little more snow. gotta love the greek peak discount - 2 tix for 60 beans woo hoo. i pussed out on the pix exept for a few obligatory tourist shots here:

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z112/mbike-ski/Whiteface%2010/?albumview=slideshow

Edited by mbike-ski

• 4 weeks later...

sweet, might have to hit it again in march

We'll be skiing WF on the 10th and 11th...just in case you're there. For anyone who is planning on heading up to WF. Wednesday lift tickets are only $38 if you bring a Coke product to the ticket window.

BTW I just saw on their site that they opened Cloudspin :rock . If the weather keeps going the way it is, the slides may be open for the next few weeks in addition to all of glades. I would love to at least attempt the mighty slides. Speaking of the Slides...I found this stoke inducing thread over on ski ADK posted by "frashdog"...

http://forums.skiadk.com/about2668.html

"They were open for the first time this year, thursday the 25th, yesterday afternoon.

Snow pits were dug and filed through out the season by professional certified avalanche ski patrollers.

Obviously the favorable pits were dug wednesday.

Around 50 people got to "help pack down the snow"during this seasons grand opening celebratory pow celebration, waist deep i might add in some spots, thus making way for the long anticipated opening of the mighty slides.

To be aware this land is of no joke... there are rocks lurking below the surface like mines waiting to explode your skis off above several frozen waterfall/cliffs up to 15'+. Even though the highly trained mountain ski patrollers are completely able to navigate a rescue sled over back country/ungroomed conditions among the rocks, trees and cliffs; rescue for an injured person is not as simple as on a " ski trail". Snow plowing, rental skis, small children, pregnant women, if you may be suffering from a heart condition or panic and urinate uncontrollably you should not attempt the slides. To be frank these are badazz double black diamond baby, maybe triple? Those who might know, some one please tell me of a place on the east coast with lift serve (for the most part) with extreme alpine open bowl terrain that even compares to the slides."