Windham 2/13 & 2/14

RootDKJ

Date(s) Skied: 2/13 - 2/14

Resort or Ski Area: Windham Mountain

Conditions: Packed powder, crowded.

Trip Report: Great two days at Windham. Lift lines were long, but manageable. Trails were not too crowded if you stayed off Wraparound & Wanderer. Wiseacers was the ROTD both days. Why Not was an absolute blast, but there was one headwall that was complete boilerplate. Saturday was colder (20F), but less windy and sunny. Sunday was around 30F, cloudy and a light flurry was falling all day. Winds were fierce at times, causing some wind holds on G lift.

I took my first legit wipeout of the season on Sunday coming off Wedgie. I was hitting the little pow stashes off the sides of the trails when I hit something under the snow. I double ejected, did a front flip and landed on my back in two feet of blown in powder and some shrubbery. I was laughing pretty hard, but everyone kept asking me if I was hurt.

Mrs Root skied pretty good. She hit the blues pretty hard and even took a run through the park. She's also starting to ski a little faster. There's lots of bump runs there. I took some pics for everyone since I don't think Windham gets a fair shake sometimes.

Windham really expanded their patio area. Could make for a really fun springtime party scene. We stayed at the Bavarian Manor in Purling, NY. Fun place. Lots of German beers (and people too)!

Saturday 2/13

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Wedgie

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

Mrs Root

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

Crazy Liftline

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

Packed!

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Sunday 2/14

Mrs Root on Whistler

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

More crazy lines

IMG_0634.jpg

Whistler Chute

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

Why Not

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

The beer menu

IMG_0658.jpg

Bump Stoke

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Groomer Stoke

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Thanks for the report and pics. I've been planning on doing a Windham/Plattekill trip but Plattekill needs some more snow. Never been to Windham but friends tell me I would like it better than Bellayre where I have been. Were the crazy lines worse because of the wind hold on the HSQ? In your one pic the lift looks empty. Have you ever been to Plattekill? Great place but not much snowmaking.

Your reports are always so much better due to the nice pics. Thanks for making the effort to take the shots. My camera and cell phone batteries always seem to die in the cold.

Those are some good German beers they had on the menu! :beer:

Thanks for the report and pics. I've been planning on doing a Windham/Plattekill trip but Plattekill needs some more snow. Never been to Windham but friends tell me I would like it better than Bellayre where I have been. Were the crazy lines worse because of the wind hold on the HSQ? In your one pic the lift looks empty. Have you ever been to Plattekill? Great place but not much snowmaking.

Your reports are always so much better due to the nice pics. Thanks for making the effort to take the shots. My camera and cell phone batteries always seem to die in the cold.

Those are some good German beers they had on the menu! :beer:

I've never been to Plattekill. The lines were crazy because it's a holiday weekend. Only G lift was getting wind holds, the main HSQ was not.

Edited by RootDKJ

I'll actually disagree with the "greatness" of Windham... I went there for the first time about a month ago... There was plenty of snow on the natural trails and the mountain was 100% open, but the mountain is in my opinion very boring. The trail layout look good on the trail map, but most of the trails are generic and not at all interesting... Fairly flat, not challenging, and expensive food... It wasn't bad for a one day every other year kinda mountain, but I wouldn't want it to be my home mountain... I have been to Belleayre 3-4 times, and I love every minute of being at that mountain... Decent cruisers for its size with a laid back anything goes kind of atmosphere... I'm not trying to bash on Windham, but given my choice, I would take Belleayre every time...

• Like 2

If the 'skills get dumped on the place to be is Plattekill. Only 1100' vert. but lots of steep trails and old school narrow winding trails. Ski anywhere policy when there is snow in the woods. They have mountain biking in the summer so there are plenty of woods lines on the mb trails. Old school type place. No high speed lifts. Great old lodge with a pool table up stairs. Never any crowds. Great place to go on a holiday weekend if there is natural snow. Bellayre has some steeps but they all seem the same and the vertical is just on the upper mountain. Still want to check out Windham sometime but on a weekday.

• Like 1

If the 'skills get dumped on the place to be is Plattekill. Only 1100' vert. but lots of steep trails and old school narrow winding trails. Ski anywhere policy when there is snow in the woods. They have mountain biking in the summer so there are plenty of woods lines on the mb trails. Old school type place. No high speed lifts. Great old lodge with a pool table up stairs. Never any crowds. Great place to go on a holiday weekend if there is natural snow. Bellayre has some steeps but they all seem the same and the vertical is just on the upper mountain. Still want to check out Windham sometime but on a weekday.

x2

Windham going to be alot more crowded than Plattekill....any of them are better than Huntah