Feasibility of an Elk Pass

OutCold

elks terrain is really fun. some really long and interesting trails, but for me to get a season pass there, they need to open up some woods. i know its beating a dead horse, but seriously. if they get so much more snow than other PA resorts, show that off and open some damn woods.

Then the "like skiing in Vermont" slogan would somewhat apply.

I think Elk is definetely worth the extra drive. Camelback and Blue have high speed lifts but they get skied off by 10:00am on weekends. You can ski Elk all day on good conditions most weekends unless there's a thaw/freeze cycle. The trails are long and there is a lot of variety. You'll likely get to the top faster even on their fixed grip lifts because you won't be waiting in line as long as at CB or Blue. They have the best bump run in PA in Tunkhannock. They do have the best grooming in PA. I think their secret is they wait until they have just enough time to groom before they open. Usually they're still grooming if you get there for opening. Blue starts grooming when they close. Thus the frozen cordoroy. If you're into parks it's not the place for you. I agree that they should add some tree runs. I'm sure they're getting the pressure and this may happen in the future.

In lieu of a season pass you may just want to buy a bunch vouchers from your local recreation department. Last year was $50.00 for weekends and weekdays $39.00 IIRC. If you're going to ski there less than 13 days that may be the way to go.

Have fun and give us lots of reports and photos this season!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know what is in the Elk Big & Friendly book? I have a friend who's interested in skiing a lot this winter, but not really season pass worthy. It seems like an expensive coupon book, I figured it must have some decent discounts but I can't imagine it could be worth it for $500

• 1 month later...

I decided to forego the Elk pass this season. I think I'm going to go passless this year. Especially if Ride Delaware gets his condo up at Sugarbush. It'll give me the flexibility to go up there and mooch off of his accommodations if I want to. :wiggle

This way I can mix things up a bit and hit Blue and CB as well as Elk. Financially if I get as many days in as I'd like, it may end up costing me a bit more than an Elk pass, but I think I'll enjoy the flexibility.

• 3 weeks later...