Belleayr Ski area

skibum5100

I have skied all over the east coast for many years, from Mt Tremblant CA to Timerline WV. I tend to like places like Mad Rivers Glenn, Jay Peak, and Belleayre where its more about the skiing than the "Grand Hotel scene". That being said I rented a place in the Catskills for the winter hoping to find some quite quality ski time away from work this winter (committed to this back in July) only to find out on opening day there my not be any quality skiing at Belleayre this year (the state cut 34% of the full time workers) and may be no more ski area after this year. I know not every one likes the State of NY involved in the ski industry but this is the way its been since 1949 (some one correct me if I'm wrong on the year). I'm asking any one who agrees with me to sign this petition (link below). The area has some of the nicest people I've met and you don't even have to lock your door. I don't want to start a great debate here just asking any one who likes to ski Belleayre to support the Mountain so we don't end up with another lost ski area.

Belleayre Petition

Bell+peaks fangun treatment/park investment=teh sex. I love belleayre. maybe peaks would incorporate highmount, interconnect the two, and make highmount the all park area like carinthia at snow is. i can dream right?

but seriously. Bell is not going anywhere. best place in the catskills.

• Like 1

Bell is losing alot of money every year.....their expenses are greater than their revenue...but I agree especially how I see how well peaks is runnign JF/BB..let the state continue to own the land but hire a ski resort company to make improvements that are efficient as well..more like a consultent..

I wanna see Belleayre succeed...alot of years they are the closest place open in April..

Your fucking high so please stop slobbering on Peaks balls. Running one small ass hill in PA in a non-retarded way does not make them some kind of skiing white knight.

Bell will be fine as long as the state of ny stops pissing away money.

Bell is losing alot of money every year.....their expenses are greater than their revenue.

How do you know this? You have some references, or are you just talking out of your ass as per usual?

BTW: Bellayre is totally the tits. What are your personal pros and cons of the mountain closing in your opinion?

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but as per the official information, they HAD too many jobs. No area in the Catskills needs a dozen maintenance staff and ten mechanics. That's more than a mechanic and maintenance guy per chairlift/lodge.

And what the hell do two full-time Ski Patrollers do in summer? Secondly, they aren't cutting jobs. They turned them into seasonal jobs, still with benefits (from my understanding), which is STILL better than what any private resort does with the majority of their staff.

Edited by millerm277

and Belleayre where its more about the skiing than the "Grand Hotel scene".

Bell is NOT closing.. And once they put all the development in - your little "Grand Hotel scene" will be over...

Belleayre does not loose money they make money for the record read the petition ! I asked not to debate this, just if you agree just sign the petition!

That petition sucks... It makes NO mention of whats being offered to the employees - what are their options? It's all emotion and sky is falling BS.. I can't sign it..

Sorry - but this is a debate for us NY'rs that feed that place with our tax money to support 3 typists with year round govt jobs... Just BS...

Ski areas are seasonal work... Everywhere! If those people don't want those jobs there will be a line of folks from that valley waiting to take them.

How do you know this? You have some references, or are you just talking out of your ass as per usual?

BTW: Bellayre is totally the tits. What are your personal pros and cons of the mountain closing in your opinion?

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Blizzard-of-free-state-ski-lift-tickets-buries-867330.php

According to Belleayre records, Belleayre gave away nearly 16,000 free tickets last year, out of about 169,000 skier visits, and posted a $1 million operating loss. The year before, Belleayre gave away about 16,700 free tickets out of 154,700 skier visits and posted a $76,000 operating loss.

Thanks DMC...good article. $1million operating loss? I'm sure state lawmakers know how to tighten up the budget realllll quick.

According to Belleayre records, Belleayre gave away nearly 16,000 free tickets last year, out of about 169,000 skier visits, and posted a $1 million operating loss. The year before, Belleayre gave away about 16,700 free tickets out of 154,700 skier visits and posted a $76,000 operating loss.

Thanks DMC...good article. $1million operating loss? I'm sure state lawmakers know how to tighten up the budget realllll quick.

thing is - that doesn't even include payroll, benefits and insurance and all the other stuff Belleayre doesn't pay for because they are State run..

they squandered our(NY) $$$$$$ all on their own...