309 E. JACKSON

MEDFORD (PA)

(541) 772-8047

BUCKMAN'S SKI SHOP

635 NORTH MAIN STREET

DOYLESTOWN (PA)

(215) 348-5624

http://www.buckmansskishops

Does anyone know of the closest one to scranton is.

26603[/snapback]

I'm gonna say either

NESTOR'S-QUAKERTOWN

99 N.WEST END BLVD.

QUAKERTOWN (PA)

(800) 439-2858

http://www.nestors.com

ROGUE SKI SHOP

309 E. JACKSON

MEDFORD (PA)

(541) 772-8047

First one is by allentown and not sure where the second one is, but the other 2 are farther than nestors...

two things...

first, wolverine, the numbers have nothing to do with warmth...the first number tells you waterproofness and anything under 5k sucks. the second number is breathablity. same rule applies. for good gear thats gonna keep you dry and breath well start at 10K. warmth is all up to how well you layer

second...

Just order it online, Don't see what the big deal is?
Edited by RomeOp

two things...

first, wolverine, the numbers have nothing to do with warmth...the first number tells you waterproofness and anything under 5k sucks.  the second number is breathablity.  same rule applies.  for good gear thats gonna keep you dry and breath well start at 10K.  warmth is all up to how well you layer

second...

ordering online is the best way to put your local ski shops out of business...support the guys that are there for you when you need a quick fix, not the online retailers where you never know what you are gonna get.  online retailers are the  :devil: for those of us that work in shops

26804[/snapback]

I'll continue to order online until Ski shops can compete in prices w/ Ebay. Ski999 bought a pair of brand spankin new Atomic SL:11's for around $200. What will $200 get you in a store? Maybe 1/4 of the price of Volkl 5stars? :confused Ebay rocks.

Yeah, I mean I'm all for supporting the local shops and all but why would you not buy them online if they are cheaper? Of course, nobody at my house will order them for me so I wind up buying my stuff at the shop.

26808[/snapback]

Find a favorite shop and a support it - it will pay off for you in the long run, remember refferals when working with a local shop. Online stuff is good for some bargains and you might even get some free socks along with a one of akind ski!! BTW I got boots for the grass skis for 99 cents ebay!! I guess I could have asked my shop and they might have given me a set of old rentals...

ordering online is the best way to put your local ski shops out of business...support the guys that are there for you when you need a quick fix, not the online retailers where you never know what you are gonna get.  online retailers are the  :devil: for those of us that work in shops

26804[/snapback]

I like to support local business in general, but I'm not sure the ski shops are the way to go. I know there are some good people in some of the shops (I take it you are a ski shop employee). I don't get the feeling though that most people in the shops really care about the sport, or care about anything for that matter. It takes a superior package to make me a customer. In this case, I can go online, deal with people who will deal with me professionally, and get high quality gear for cheap. I can get ANY brand, not just the 3 brands the shop has deals with. Now I don't know if these people care about the sport either but at least, I have had positive experiences with my online purchases, can't say the same thing about all my experiences in a ski shop. It's not just about the money, because I buy all my cds from an independent music store. It costs more than online, but its a great atmosphere shopping. I can listen to the cd before I buy, the people are very personable, and have a clue. As far as needing a quick fix, I do more and more of my own work as I go anyways. Assuming all the shops go out of business because of the mail order world, in the long run I would be better off buying another new piece of equipment, because it's cheaper for me to buy two brand new boards online than it is to buy one new board in a store and get it fixed (this thought is laughable, since the mail order shops are just real shops that got smart and started doing online business. Which btw why isn't your shop?).