Bell or greek peak?

pcklein31

I've never been to Platt, but I've heard great things about the terrain for the vertical drop and also that it never seems to be crowded... I would try it out... Everywhere will have people, so why not give it a shot... I expect a report when you return...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did make the trip to Plattekill on Friday. It took me around 2.5 hrs to make the trip, there really is not a nice way to get there from Scranton. I took the direct route up through Hancock, NY. First I will say it was most likely not the best day for me to travel for boarding, but I had told myself for the last two week I was going and was keeping my promise. ha Got there around 9:30, booted up and got my lift ticket and ready to go by 10am. Two surprises, one the lift ticket was only 30, but second they made me get a leash for my snowboard. Ooops I have not used a leash in a few years and yes they were checking to make sure it was clipped and all.

Well after buying and attaching my leash I headed to the top mountain(skiers left) and proceeded to start off by just meandering down their green slope, Powder Puff, to get the legs warmed after the long drive. Snow was hardpack, not surprising after temps dropped into the negative the night before, but also nicely groomed. I went down all the trails on this side of mountain and a couple twice. But as I alluded to earlier I was in bed most of this past week with the flu and my legs were sadly getting tired already. I took a quick break to checkout the "lodge" and grabbed a slice of pizza and a Mt Dew, which ran me 6 dollars, so not horrible.

Then I headed out to the other side of the mountain to come down one of the DD's. I made it down, but my legs were not going to make many more runs. Ecspecially since there really are not any "easy" relaxing runs there. The diamonds and dd's are continuous pitch for the 11000ft vert, not the typical "step down" runs you see in PA. The blue are all only about a CAT track wide and "turny"(haha), so even those you can not loose focus or you are in the trees. So nothing that I felt that I could ride and not be fearful that I would injure myself in my state. So, with still 2.5 hours to drive home I decide to end my preview of Plattekill shortly after noon.

I really liked this mountain with it being a lot different than what I ride on a daily basis. I have always enjoyed the narrow force you to make turns style of trails and the top to bottom diamonds with basically zero run out are always nice too. I will be back a later date this season. And oh yes the crowds were nonexistent.

Thanks guys for the suggestion.

• Like 1