Presidents Powder Day at Blue

trackbiker

Since GSS was absent for a Blue powder day, :blink: I'll try to fill in. Don't worry, I'll do a Reader's Digest version. ;)

Woke up to about 1.5" of wet snow. Roads were just wet up to where RT.145 narrows down to one lane where there was some slush on the road. Got behind a plow truck so it was slow going for a little bit. Started snowing again on Blue Mt. Drive. Snow didn't look too impressive on the way up. Pulled into the lower lot at 7:45. Parked second in near the lodge. Men's room, booted up, bought ticket, and skied right onto the lift a chair or two behind 3 patrollers. Must have just missed toast.

Was surprised to find 4" to 6" of light fluffy snow at the top. More like 6" at the top of Razors. First run was down Razors. I was 4th or 5th down. Blasted right thru any tracks like they weren't there. Was suprised how quickly my 105/65/93 groomers began to float. Took a turn or two to get the powder feel back. Stopped to take the photo below before the last drop-off. Didn't take too many pics because powder doesn't last long at Blue.

Next run was Nightmare/Deamweaver. I was 5th down then 4th when I passed the guy who was 4th on Dreamweaver. :nana Great powder run. Then it was over to Challenge which had some tracks but plenty of fresh. Again the snow was light so it was like the tracks weren't there. Challenge was so much fun I did it again. Then back to Razors and Nightmare/Dreamweaver. 6 legit powder runs in the first hour.

Then it was over to Switchback which still had some fresh on the sides and wide in the turns. Then onto Widow Maker/Midway because the little hike from the lift keeps the traffic light. The trails on the west side had been groomed before it stopped snowing so there was only about 2" of fresh on top. Could still get some float though. Next was Widow Maker/Chute. Chute wasn't groomed and had some fresh on the side. By then everything was pretty chopped up and I just lapped everthing except Burma Road and Vista. Switchback was getting a little scraped in spots. It must have been bullet proof this past weekend because it was groomer tracked boiler plate under there. Didn't do any woods because they looked pretty icy just below the snow. Skied 'till 12:25 on my morning ticket. No lift lines. They started the Quad when the 6-pack line started to build around 10:00am. $49.00 was worth it today. :)

4d62d5159ebd6.jpg

4d630189d9d21.jpg

Nice TR. I wouldn't believe you without the pictures, but wow! is that Blue?

I wouldn't believe it either. I took the picture so tomorrow I would know I wasn't dreaming. :lol:

The second run on Nightmare/Dreamweaver looked like I was out west. Was having too much fun and going too fast to stop and take a pic.

Totally legit...65 underfoot...really???

They're actually not bad if you keep your speed up and they turn nice in the pow. I've skied several powder days on them and I love them on the groomers. Dropped 'em off at Pelican for a sharpen and wax on the way home. They got a little beat up at Magic MLK weekend.

Last year I rented AC30's in Utah. They got right up in the powder but I hated them on the few groomed trails. Kept banging the damn things together and I wasn't trying to ski 70's style with the skis together either.

I wouldn't believe it either. I took the picture so tomorrow I would know I wasn't dreaming. :lol:

The second run on Nightmare/Dreamweaver looked like I was out west. Was having too much fun and going too fast to stop and take a pic.

They're actually not bad if you keep your speed up and they turn nice in the pow. I've skied several powder days on them and I love them on the groomers. Dropped 'em off at Pelican for a sharpen and wax on the way home. They got a little beat up at Magic MLK weekend.

Last year I rented AC30's in Utah. They got right up in the powder but I hated them on the few groomed trails. Kept banging the damn things together and I wasn't trying to ski 70's style with the skis together either.

I have a bit of the old school style as AJ can attest to, definitely ski with my feet kind of close together but it works. Honestly though make the switch the wide platform is so so much better in the deep and if you can carve a 60 you can carve a 110.

Sad I couldn't do the morning but even the night session was fun, between the push piles and mini moguls had to get the proper wiggle down. Little bit of leg burn which is new for blue, serious fun.

I have a bit of the old school style as AJ can attest to, definitely ski with my feet kind of close together but it works. Honestly though make the switch the wide platform is so so much better in the deep and if you can carve a 60 you can carve a 110.

Sad I couldn't do the morning but even the night session was fun, between the push piles and mini moguls had to get the proper wiggle down. Little bit of leg burn which is new for blue, serious fun.

My legs were shot by 12:30 after things got chopped up so I'm glad I only did a half day. 4.5 hrs was enough.

I'll be out in Tahoe end of March and Utah in April. Will be renting skis so I'll try some different wide boards. Loved the AC30's in the pow but I might try something different. Couldn't justify buying new skis when I love mine on the groomers which is 95% of east coast skiing. Plus 2 kids in college and I'll be spending alot of dough on the spring break trip. They tried to sell the AC30's to me at a really, really good end of season price last year. But I just didn't like them on the groomers. I hear you though, and I'll try some different wide skis.

that's because you rented AC30s. regardless of what ski magazine may say in their gear review, i don't find that ski to be fun whatsoever. something like the dynastar 4x4 might be more appealing to you. i don't think it's quite as wide as the AC30, but it's basically a wide-ish carving ski, and once you get used to the wider stance, it rips.

Powder days in the poconos makes the price of admission worth while. Nice pics....no pictures of food???? :rofl

That was the Reader's Digest version of the report. I could do the GSS version and tell you what I gnashed on on the way up and what music I rocked out to. (Hint:It wasn't nachos from Sheetz or rap.) I even had pictures and my report was shorter. :lol:

Just bustin on ya Douglas from A-Town. I actually find your reports amusing.