quick question

nodaysoff

CB got about 14" of fresh today which is cool, even though I'm here at work thinking I should've called out. Anyways, while looking at the near forecast for CB, I notice there hi is 33 degrees with a lo of 14 overnight for about 4 consistent days. So my question is: why is sunday there last day for winter season? They have the overnight temps to keep it going, unlike Bear and Blue. Is it just a rational thing to do from a business standpoint? One would think with the demand for skiing/riding, and the fact that they'd be the only mountain open in PA after this weekend, the ball would still be rolling even if they have to switch the hours of operation. No? Not really sure how the politics of ski resorts work out, just curious.

I'm not trying to cause any controversy here, but I checked out there website, and I don't see anything that confirms that Sunday is their last day. They are offering discounted lift tickets, and most other mountains have already shut down or are shutting down on Sunday, but I don't see anything that confirms that. In the last 3 years they have really put alot of time into building their rep as one of the last places to run a lift for alpine (not just terrain park) terrain. Since I do not see anything that states Sunday is their last day, I wouldn't be surprised if they close Mon-Thurs and then open again next Fri-Sun. The temps should justify it, and knowing their affinity for blowing a deep base, they will probably have the snow to make it if they so choose. Once again, as stated above, there is a steep decline in skiers and riders the later into the season we go, even if the conditions are still stellar. So, they may just be waiting to make the call after they see the turnout this weekend. That being said, I wouldn't make any plans that assume they will be open next weekend, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they did...

They have the snow and anyone who skied there last weekend knows they had the people to stay open for sure.. With the other mountains closed (except Boulder which leaves CB to pretty much monopolize all the non park peeps), they would be pretty dumb not to cash in on at least one more weekend IMO

Money makes the lifts turn.

Thats it in a nutshell right there. since we have had some warmer days, most people are going to flower shows, car shows, tailgating at the local wal-mart....etc. there is definetly a much smaller audeince for skiing in march, then say January.

Even hardcore PA skiers usually quit at the end of March...just saying I don't see CB making much $ from here on out.

Thats it in a nutshell right there. since we have had some warmer days, most people are going to flower shows, car shows, tailgating at the local wal-mart....etc. there is definetly a much smaller audeince for skiing in march, then say January.

Thats tru, i guess areas like PA is not use to extended seasons (consistantly), so they switch modes both mentally and physically. New England is still in wintermode, out west, etc.

They have the snow and anyone who skied there last weekend knows they had the people to stay open for sure.. With the other mountains closed (except Boulder which leaves CB to pretty much monopolize all the non park peeps), they would be pretty dumb not to cash in on at least one more weekend IMO

agree

New England is still in wintermode, out west, etc.

naa, its the same story everywhere. Ski areas out here are already seeing huge declines in skier visits. Most ski areas out here close early to mid April, and close with their biggest base of the season. They have the snow to stay open through June or later. The upside is that there are enough hard core skiers to support a couple of smaller ski hills to stay open a little bit later.

I always found it insane the amount of effort ski areas put into opening an icy groomer as early as possible, but then close with the deepest base of the season. I guess their hands are forced by the public.