2011-2012 season...

burton71

the earlier they open the earlier I have a second job haha. I'd be surprised if they open by the 10th, and I seriously doubt about that hike park. It wasn't sounding good from what I heard, maybe Tom will give us the final word this week sometime.

They still changing their mind at the last minute? Seems to be another trend with that place. Last year they were going to put in a permanent top to bottom skier cross course on the trail furthest to skiers left but axed that days before opening. Year before that, something about re-doing that old snack shack up top and building a new start building for the Nastar crew, axing both of those just before the season ends. I think they like to get people excited then drop em. That or someone in the offices hasn't a clue about the logistics of their pipe dreams. Oh, and then there is the A-netting that was supposed to be installed on skiers right of that same far left trail. A good friend of mine was forced off the slope by some some wingnut on a snowboard and skipped on the rocks a few times before coming to an abrupt halt via her knee cap. No need to elaborate!!

Edited by Winter

I never made it to Blue last year, or most other Pa mountains for that matter. It was one of those years I spent some quality time up North for a change. But year, a season long X course would be sweet. If not for the sheer fun, it really is a good teaching tool for anyone who runs it.

They still changing their mind at the last minute? Seems to be another trend with that place. Last year they were going to put in a permanent top to bottom skier cross course on the trail furthest to skiers left but axed that days before opening. Year before that, something about re-doing that old snack shack up top and building a new start building for the Nastar crew, axing both of those just before the season ends. I think they like to get people excited then drop em. That or someone in the offices hasn't a clue about the logistics of their pipe dreams. Oh, and then there is the A-netting that was supposed to be installed on skiers right of that same far left trail. A good friend of mine was forced off the slope by some some wingnut on a snowboard and skipped on the rocks a few times before coming to an abrupt halt via her knee cap. No need to elaborate!!

the website says weather permitting.

Easy buddy, don't grind that axe too hard haha. I've given up on the snack shack ever opening back up. I'd say they are concentrating on the base just like they have been for the last many many years. They might as well, it's their money maker, the snack shack sure isn't gonna draw people from maryland haha. I can remember when that trail was a dedicated X trail for quite some time but I think that was about 5 years ago. That usually just gets gapers in trouble though honestly, they think its a normal fun trail with some berms and small jumps and next thing ya know they are flying over a berm into the woods. Sorry to hear about your friend over there but I'm against dropping more fencing. Not pointing fingers but I've never been "forced" anywhere by another rider. Maybe your friend should have been on a friendlier trail. They've got enough fencing up there as it is IMO.

Id kill for an old boarder cross trail like they had way back when. That would be sweet

meh, I'd rather hit a jumpline than ride berms myself. Also, most runs there are hardly long enough to even make an interesting course. I think the most fun I had on it back then was lipping the end of the berm and taking it for some air.

Agh dude it was so sick! haha I still wish bear would push all the dirt in tubing on the last jump farther down so they could have 3 hits like 25 - 35 - 45. or 35- 45-55. etc. They could easily do that and not space out the jumps as far apart so you could use the speed from the one to clear the other.

Easy buddy, don't grind that axe too hard haha. I've given up on the snack shack ever opening back up. I'd say they are concentrating on the base just like they have been for the last many many years. They might as well, it's their money maker, the snack shack sure isn't gonna draw people from maryland haha. I can remember when that trail was a dedicated X trail for quite some time but I think that was about 5 years ago. That usually just gets gapers in trouble though honestly, they think its a normal fun trail with some berms and small jumps and next thing ya know they are flying over a berm into the woods. Sorry to hear about your friend over there but I'm against dropping more fencing. Not pointing fingers but I've never been "forced" anywhere by another rider. Maybe your friend should have been on a friendlier trail. They've got enough fencing up there as it is IMO.

LOL, no big axe to grind, i still ski there on occasion. The axe i had is the Elk racer kids from Philly area had a great arrangement with the mountain to train with the bear creek team on Thursday nights, because they can't make it all the way up to Elk on a school night obviously. The head coach treated them as well as his own racers and the mountain gave them a pretty good deal on tickets and training fees. We parents enjoyed a hell of a dinner and a beer or two... three maybe, in the grill while the kids were getting as good of a training session as can be expected from the terrain and coaching. But yeah, fairly reliable sources tell me that in a given year, the overall mountain profits from just snow-related activities is less than 25%, so stands to reason they don't go overboard with any expensive improvements. FWIW, there is no reason NOT to have fencing on that trail. It's a huge hazzard that is avoidable by putting a-netting up, much like blue does here and there. Either they do that or move some dirt over top of those river rocks. Every year, a dozen or more people are pulled off of the rocks with pretty bad injuries. I'm against clogging up trails with fencing and other safety things, but it's a simple fix imho. And sorry, but when boarders (or skiers alike) use the start gate with grab handles to barrel 4-wide down that slope, someone may easily be forced into the crud and not be able to turn out of it before dropping into the rocks. And that's exactly what happened.

LOL, no big axe to grind, i still ski there on occasion. The axe i had is the Elk racer kids from Philly area had a great arrangement with the mountain to train with the bear creek team on Thursday nights, because they can't make it all the way up to Elk on a school night obviously. The head coach treated them as well as his own racers and the mountain gave them a pretty good deal on tickets and training fees. We parents enjoyed a hell of a dinner and a beer or two... three maybe, in the grill while the kids were getting as good of a training session as can be expected from the terrain and coaching. But yeah, fairly reliable sources tell me that in a given year, the overall mountain profits from just snow-related activities is less than 25%, so stands to reason they don't go overboard with any expensive improvements. FWIW, there is no reason NOT to have fencing on that trail. It's a huge hazzard that is avoidable by putting a-netting up, much like blue does here and there. Either they do that or move some dirt over top of those river rocks. Every year, a dozen or more people are pulled off of the rocks with pretty bad injuries. I'm against clogging up trails with fencing and other safety things, but it's a simple fix imho. And sorry, but when boarders (or skiers alike) use the start gate with grab handles to barrel 4-wide down that slope, someone may easily be forced into the crud and not be able to turn out of it before dropping into the rocks. And that's exactly what happened.

Yeah I've seen the story in the other thread. It does kinda stink that they let a good program go like that.

I'm just against most safety precautions. Hell my axe to grind with elk is that they don't open up their trees so I guess I'm just biased in the direction of ski it if you can. Your friends story sounds like something out of hot dog or ski patrol or some other cheesy 80s ski movie haha. I can understand how that could happen I guess, but I really don't think every hazard area should be fenced off. This is a dangerous sport after all.

ever since timberline was widened its way less fun. before that was the only time it would be suitable for a skier cross course. i know they still do the usasa one on it.

sean- i would love to see three jumps there, but i really dont think there is enough speed. especially with how slow the snow was last season. on occasion the bottom jump was clearable by dropping from upper cascade and pumping the knuckle of the first jump. and im pretty sure it barely hit 50 feet at any point last season. I would rather seee smaller well built jumps then one bigger jump thats not really tthat well built and not even hitable most of the time. like say one nice 30 and another nice floaty 40. what i think is key for bear is for them to play around with their options of where stuff can go and how big it can be. maybe build a drop in for speed for the tubing jumps and use fence to direct anyone thats not going to the top of the drop in to hit them down the other trail.

:[ I would start jumping more if they had a triple hit like the mountains out west. The only two things I really want this season are a mellow down rail with still a decent amount to hop on ( i don't like how every down rail set up is super steep) and that S rail to be out so i can rape it and make it my bischhhh

ever since timberline was widened its way less fun. before that was the only time it would be suitable for a skier cross course. i know they still do the usasa one on it.

sean- i would love to see three jumps there, but i really dont think there is enough speed. especially with how slow the snow was last season. on occasion the bottom jump was clearable by dropping from upper cascade and pumping the knuckle of the first jump. and im pretty sure it barely hit 50 feet at any point last season. I would rather seee smaller well built jumps then one bigger jump thats not really tthat well built and not even hitable most of the time. like say one nice 30 and another nice floaty 40. what i think is key for bear is for them to play around with their options of where stuff can go and how big it can be. maybe build a drop in for speed for the tubing jumps and use fence to direct anyone thats not going to the top of the drop in to hit them down the other trail.

ahhh speed issues, the bane of bear creek since as long as I can remember haha. We did put a little drop in there for the big air last year right??? along with fencing and all just like you're saying. Did that thing really help much????

Yeah I've seen the story in the other thread. It does kinda stink that they let a good program go like that.

I'm just against most safety precautions. Hell my axe to grind with elk is that they don't open up their trees so I guess I'm just biased in the direction of ski it if you can. Your friends story sounds like something out of hot dog or ski patrol or some other cheesy 80s ski movie haha. I can understand how that could happen I guess, but I really don't think every hazard area should be fenced off. This is a dangerous sport after all.

Elk is wierd in its own right, as they too seem to be all about the money , or at least not spending it. They proudly boast a great income to expense ratio not enjoyed by most mountains in the East. And i think they try to keep the crowds down a bit my not making some needed improvements, like putting a simple canvas top on those cattle cars!

Elk is wierd in its own right, as they too seem to be all about the money , or at least not spending it. They proudly boast a great income to expense ratio not enjoyed by most mountains in the East. And i think they try to keep the crowds down a bit my not making some needed improvements, like putting a simple canvas top on those cattle cars!

Its more for core skiers I guess, I mean do ya really need canvas tops for the 200 yard shuttle ride up to the base???? But woooaaaaahhhh don't step in the woods or they'll clip your ticket......BS. Although I got away with a courtesy run last year so that was nice, I thought they stopped that.

Canvas tops why???

Really? Have either of you ever used the cattle cars on a really cold or wet day? Nothing worse than heading back down the hill after a good day skiing (or having dried off in the lodge only to get soaked again on the way back to the car. No, not at all a big deal, but for the overall layout of $900 to equip the three shuttles, c'mon. I've never been on a cattle car anywhere else in this great country that wasn't at least partially covered. It prompted me to rent a house at the base of the mountain, as opposed to outside of the ski area. That and my beer fridge is accessable while i'm still in ski boots ;-)

Really? Have either of you ever used the cattle cars on a really cold or wet day? Nothing worse than heading back down the hill after a good day skiing (or having dried off in the lodge only to get soaked again on the way back to the car. No, not at all a big deal, but for the overall layout of $900 to equip the three shuttles, c'mon. I've never been on a cattle car anywhere else in this great country that wasn't at least partially covered. It prompted me to rent a house at the base of the mountain, as opposed to outside of the ski area. That and my beer fridge is accessable while i'm still in ski boots ;-)

oh please, the cattle car ride is literally 2 minutes tops. I just ski down to the car honestly though. I see your point though, and to bring this full circle, bear creeks are covered completely I think. The ride is just as short there too.