2011-2012 season...

burton71

oh please, the cattle car ride is literally 2 minutes tops. I just ski down to the car honestly though. I see your point though, and to bring this full circle, bear creeks are covered completely I think. The ride is just as short there too.

The ride is maybe 45 seconds, maybe 2 minutes sitting in the rails waiting for the thing to load. You dohave to think as an average skier/rider though. Not everyone wants to tolerate the weather on that ride, at least not before they are fully booted up and ready to ski. Anyway, yeah, Bear is a good example of a decent shuttle ride, like i said, it costs very little to ensure your customers are comfortable.

Why don't they also put canvas tops over the lifts? I didn't realize Elk skiers were so soft...

just the ones that boot up in the lodge, walk around the parking lot and you'll find a much different crowd haha. I watched a group of 6 or so older fellas grillin and drinking whisky last time I was there. After they were nice and tuned up they all headed to the mogul run right under the quad, it was quite hilarious. I wouldn't call those guys soft though haha.

I'd bet my last dollar they won't ever put a lift in. They'll allow tree skiing before they put a high speed in.

They haven't installed any new lifts since the quad, and I would guess they will ride those lifts until they die... When the double double setup dies, I'm guessing they will replace it with a normal 4 pack... Bold statement, but I never think we will see trees or high speed... They could surprise me with this one, but I doubt it... Just go midweek when there is snow and lap the woods to skiers left of quad... There's next to no patrollers and you could get away with it all day...

They haven't installed any new lifts since the quad, and I would guess they will ride those lifts until they die... When the double double setup dies, I'm guessing they will replace it with a normal 4 pack... Bold statement, but I never think we will see trees or high speed... They could surprise me with this one, but I doubt it... Just go midweek when there is snow and lap the woods to skiers left of quad... There's next to no patrollers and you could get away with it all day...

Those are the exact woods I got my ticket clipped for skiing. On a weekday. Got caught in there in the morning and warned, then went back in around 3 and they caught us again. I guess a yellow jacket isn't the best idea I ever had though. I've gotten away with more tree skiing at BC than at elk. I'd be surprised if they ever relaxed at all up there.

Those are the exact woods I got my ticket clipped for skiing. On a weekday. Got caught in there in the morning and warned, then went back in around 3 and they caught us again. I guess a yellow jacket isn't the best idea I ever had though. I've gotten away with more tree skiing at BC than at elk. I'd be surprised if they ever relaxed at all up there.

The only good tree skiing at Bear creek is on cross country skis and even then, you'd probably get a ticket pulled for that, lol

This thread is pure gold!!!!

C'mon duder, you're old enough to know better. Content and funny is what makes threads pure gold, not the local troll proclaiming it epic. Take your pointless interjections back to the blue forums please. I'd expect to find a post of that nature in NSG from some 12 year old.

• Like 3

I gotta plead the fifth on that one. big brother is watching.

Oh indeed they are. They are apparently pretty tweaked over my other thread in the Bear forums, lol

full avalanche gear is required. its also advised that you hire a guide. bears ski patrol is actually super chill. ive never been hassled by one. ive only received props.

That's the other thing, didn't some boy scouts venture out on the 'east face' and fall down into a mine pit and have to get rescued? Two summers ago i think. People have been trying to poach freshie tree runs since i can recal back to the 70's and every now and again, someone takes quite a plunge!

Oh indeed they are. They are apparently pretty tweaked over my other thread in the Bear forums, lol

That's the other thing, didn't some boy scouts venture out on the 'east face' and fall down into a mine pit and have to get rescued? Two summers ago i think. People have been trying to poach freshie tree runs since i can recal back to the 70's and every now and again, someone takes quite a plunge!

Yeah I didn't wanna mention what was back there, but anybody from the area knows. I never heard about a rescue though. I've never been back there personally.

Yeah I didn't wanna mention what was back there, but anybody from the area knows. I never heard about a rescue though. I've never been back there personally.

I dont work there, so I'll let ya know allthe 'interesting' things i know ;-) But yeah, it's a real issue with them. Doe had a chance back in the 70's to fill them in, dirt over and cut some more slopes but couldnt afford the 10's of thousands of $$$ it would have taken to make it right. Bear looked into it as well, when they first moved in and the priced moved into the 7 figure range most notably because our wonderful EPA and DEP had thoughts about how it should get done and of course that isn't as simple as filling it with dirt and capping with concrete. It's a bummer because they could really open up some good terrain (for the area anyway). In the meantime, i'm sure their insurance carrier isn't too happy about kids falling down those mine shafts every now and again. Thankfully no one has been killed, at least not that I recall.

The rescue was in 2010. Stupid kids exploring a mineshaft, probably drunk at like 2am.

Whatever, its not like you could ride into the mine shaft(s) or anything or acidentally fall in. You have to hike into them.

This is what happened as far as I remember, I really don't remember it having anything to do with skiing.

Sometimes the local ROTC or NG guys come rolling through BC in their full gear. Kind of strange to round the bend rolling into the lower lift and there are 30 dudes in the woods playing war or whatever.

The rescue was in 2010. Stupid kids exploring a mineshaft, probably drunk at like 2am.

Whatever, its not like you could ride into the mine shaft(s) or anything or acidentally fall in. You have to hike into them.

That might have been another one, but it was also that year i read in the paper it was boy scouts who were having a convention at the place and a few of 'em snuck out (bypassing the bar i'm pretty sure ;-) and tumbled down in.

That might have been another one, but it was also that year i read in the paper it was boy scouts who were having a convention at the place and a few of 'em snuck out (bypassing the bar i'm pretty sure ;-) and tumbled down in.

Probably the same one. But like I said you can't just tumble in. You have to hike into them and climb around like these dumb kids were doing. Its not like you are just walking along and all of a sudden you slip into a 100ft hole or anything.

That stinks I was hoping there were like trapped doors and skeet..what were they mining in dem hills?

i think coal. but i'm not sure. i know there were small silver deposits in the LV back when settlers were first here. But i guess it could possibly be limestone.

i think it would be cool to check out.... but not if it was super unsafe like they are saying.

ive mtb'd on the bc trails a bit - some of them are on the old mine switchbacks. some good gnar for the bike, lots of super tech rock features but nothing if ever seen made me say i gotta ski this really.

This is what happened as far as I remember, I really don't remember it having anything to do with skiing.

Sometimes the local ROTC or NG guys come rolling through BC in their full gear. Kind of strange to round the bend rolling into the lower lift and there are 30 dudes in the woods playing war or whatever.

lo i was riding at smb/lehigh one day and there were hundreds of rotcs in the woods on manuevers - pretty freaky, life during wartime