2011-2012 season...

burton71

Probably the same one. But like I said you can't just tumble in. You have to hike into them and climb around like these dumb kids were doing. Its not like you are just walking along and all of a sudden you slip into a 100ft hole or anything.

Sorry brotha, but these can you can tumble in. Not every mine is a horizontal shaft, the ones at Bear are closer to what's called 'slope mine shafts' meaning they cut into the mountain at 45 degrees (or anything between 0 and 90. So yes, you can tumble in. It wasn't coal that was mined but likely Iron. Here's the article. and yeah, didn't appear to be boy scouts...

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=267840

Sorry brotha, but these can you can tumble in. Not every mine is a horizontal shaft, the ones at Bear are closer to what's called 'slope mine shafts' meaning they cut into the mountain at 45 degrees (or anything between 0 and 90. So yes, you can tumble in. It wasn't coal that was mined but likely Iron. Here's the article. and yeah, didn't appear to be boy scouts...

http://readingeagle.....aspx?id=267840

I've been in them. You aren't going to accidentally ski or tumble into them. You have to hike into them. Once inside, sure you could fall...but at that point you know the risks.

Edited by burton71

SNO is a joke. I think BC will open before them.

Ya think? Dunno, they had the best man made snow during the lean times the last few years. I'd put their snow making up against anyones in the eastern Pa area. They have some other issues, but as far as snow making goes, they aint all that bad!

Ya think? Dunno, they had the best man made snow during the lean times the last few years. I'd put their snow making up against anyones in the eastern Pa area. They have some other issues, but as far as snow making goes, they aint all that bad!

Yeah cause of their temps maybe. Bear has enough guns to open fully in like two days haha. Who the heck wants to ski while looking at Scranton anyway???? I always hated montage, such a boring layout to that mountain. Course I haven't been in like a decade or so. If I'm drivin that far up I'm going to Elk.

• Like 1

Yeah cause of their temps maybe. Bear has enough guns to open fully in like two days haha. Who the heck wants to ski while looking at Scranton anyway???? I always hated montage, such a boring layout to that mountain. Course I haven't been in like a decade or so. If I'm drivin that far up I'm going to Elk.

Bear opened nearly 100% last year within 3 days though the cover was awful thin and then they got in a bit of trouble when the resevoir dropped real low and a warm spell hit for a week. But yeh, it can be done there. Sno didn't change much and yeah it is an unusual layout. Some love it, other don't.

Bear opened nearly 100% last year within 3 days though the cover was awful thin and then they got in a bit of trouble when the resevoir dropped real low and a warm spell hit for a week. But yeh, it can be done there. Sno didn't change much and yeah it is an unusual layout. Some love it, other don't.

HAHA Bear had an awful thin cover all last year. They must measure bases right in front of the snow gun. "Oh 36-48 inch base huh???? Then why am I drilling into dirt with a 12" drill bit when setting fences??"

It's almost expected to inflate a snowfall report, but padding your base number is pretty low IMO.

I bet we open before spring mountain haha.

HAHA Bear had an awful thin cover all last year. They must measure bases right in front of the snow gun. "Oh 36-48 inch base huh???? Then why am I drilling into dirt with a 12" drill bit when setting fences??"

It's almost expected to inflate a snowfall report, but padding your base number is pretty low IMO.

I bet we open before spring mountain haha.

yeah there was no way in hell that bear opened with the base they said they did last year.

• Like 1

So, what are the chances of them actually doing this hike park that got mentioned? Temps look like they should be cold enough to blow at night from tonight or tomorrow onward...having something Saturday or Sunday would be awesome.

where did you see a hike park mentioned?? I know they were planning one for the party last weekend but that didn't happen.

yeah there was no way in hell that bear opened with the base they said they did last year.

Every ski area embellishes the base depth, but Bear took it to a new level last year. Blue's manager(s) supposedly was really pissed but who can really enforce it? Thank goodness government hasn't decided to come in a regulate base depth statistics ;-)

• Like 1

Every ski area embellishes the base depth, but Bear took it to a new level last year. Blue's manager(s) supposedly was really pissed but who can really enforce it? Thank goodness government hasn't decided to come in a regulate base depth statistics ;-)

i mean every mountain is going to embellish their base depth but bear did blow it out of the water last year. a couple inches here and there is fine but they were overshooting by a foot and some change.

i mean every mountain is going to embellish their base depth but bear did blow it out of the water last year. a couple inches here and there is fine but they were overshooting by a foot and some change.

I try not to pay much attention to those aspen-wanna-be's down there but what were the numbers they were claiming the first day last year?

where did you see a hike park mentioned?? I know they were planning one for the party last weekend but that didn't happen.

You're right, people were talking about the hike park on the 3rd and hopeful opening on the 10th. It looks like I skimmed the paragraphs a little too quickly.

Regardless, couldn't they potentially get something together for this weekend?

You're right, people were talking about the hike park on the 3rd and hopeful opening on the 10th. It looks like I skimmed the paragraphs a little too quickly.

Regardless, couldn't they potentially get something together for this weekend?

I'm sure they could, I doubt they will though.

It looks like we're going to turn the guns on tomorrow night and see what comes out. Accuweather is saying 23 for a low but with 50 degree water temps who knows what the snow is going to be like. Not sure about a hike park though. We'll have to see what kind of production we get this weekend.

It looks like we're going to turn the guns on tomorrow night and see what comes out. Accuweather is saying 23 for a low but with 50 degree water temps who knows what the snow is going to be like. Not sure about a hike park though. We'll have to see what kind of production we get this weekend.

*Might turn on the guns tomorrow.