Elk Trip Reports???

vinnyv11

Maine huh?? goin to ride the Rivah? I've heard ya can't get there from here, or so says bert.

2nd most terrain in the East currently, and loving every minute of it... Its been a rough start, but it would be even rougher if I were still in Delaware...

A friend was there Wed (opening day?). What I remember he said: Seemed like spring conditions, good grooming, mostly good coverage, some brown was showing through in a few spots, the usual two trails open top-to-bottom, Tioga and Susquehanna.

Just checks out their webcam and they are blowing some serious snow around... I think they were able to blow all day, and in typical Elk fashion, they kept the guns off open terrain even though they probably could have used the extra snow... Hopefully they started on some new stuff to work toward having the quad for Christmas week... Before closing I could see from the webcam that they had a gun on Hiawatha, so thats promising...

junior and i used our elk vouchers from stoketoberfest this morning. rolled in right at 8:30 to a crisp 13d. susquhanna and tioga were open edge to edge with squeaky man made chord. i think there were more patrollers and instructors on the mountain than customers - about a third of the chairs were empty at any given time until we rolled out a little after 11 to get back for my daughters christmas concert. with so little traffic the snow held up great for the 15 or so runs we took, clear and sunny and 20d when we left. guns were running all around, was told on the way out they were grooming out tunchannock this afternoon to open tommorow. too bad i'm slammed this week to get ready for the holidays or i'd think about heading up again with the warren miller vouchers

• Like 1

Saturday: We started at 10:00, no crowds skied right up and onto lift all day. Susquehanna and Tioga from the top, East, West and Beginners too. Conditions Sat were truly variable. Heavy granular was the main surface condition. Susq was the better trail with some packed powder. East had some spots of churned up stones and ground.

LES most of the morning and the sun peaked through by around 1:00. Temps fell steadily throughout the day 29-26-22-20 by dusk. Snow guns all day on upper and lower Tunk, Lackawanna Spur, Tioga Spur, Hiawatha, and the Little Foot TP..

Beer was cold, no crowds, we were able to get our regular seats... However, beer prices went up $.25, it's now $3.00 a glass.

I'll give it a 4.5 outa 10

Sunday: We again started around 10:00, temp was 12 at dawn and warmed up to about 16 when we got to mtn. Sun was shining and no wind. A few more people were there, but still not crowded and no lines.

The BIG difference was in the snow conditions. The main condition on the entire mtn was PP. What a difference from Sat. No more churned up rock and ground on East just PP.

The guns were roaring all night and still blowing throughout the day on Sun. They'll have a few more trails open shortly.

On the last run of the day, I stopped at the Picnic Hut to check out the new remodeling. The floor is natural stained oak with fresh paint on all the walls and ceilings, even the fire pit chimney has a new coat of paint. Looks much better.

Beer was cold, our seats were available....

I'll give it a 7.5 outa 10.