Camelback Sun. 3/18/12

Rambo

Made it to Camelback, down in Pa. Took advantage of their "Alien Invasion" where seasons passholders form other areas get 1 free lift ticket. According to their website they would be open Sun. 3/18 from 8:30 am till 7:00 pm and this was their last day of the season. I got there at noon and went to guest services and got my complimentary lift ticket and asked them if they were indeed open to 7:00 pm and they said yes. I also asked the lift attendants and they said the closing time was 7:00 pm. The attendance was good - a lot of cars in the parking lots and skiers / boarders out on the mountain.

The Sullivan High Speed Quad that goes up the front main face was not working (was told it was an electrical problem). So you had to ride up a double lift to the top of the front face trails. The double takes about 7 minutes and the High speed 3 minutes. Camelback is 800 feet vertical. The east side of the mountain was open and the Stevenson High Speed Quad was running. I skied hard from 12:30 till 3 pm. and got in a lot of runs. Mainly on Marjies, Cliffhanger and Nine Mile. The machine made snow base was deep and coverage still very good on quite a few trails.

At 3:00 pm I was about to go in the door of the cafeteria to eat lunch when I heard an anouncement on the loud speaker that Camelback was closing at 4:00 pm. I grabbed my skis and headed back to the High speed quad and got in 7 more runs.

The skiing was really good and only a little mushy/slushy. Took a few pics:

102.jpg

105.jpg

014-2.jpg

027-1.jpg

more pics:

042-1.jpg

084.jpg

058.jpg

035-1.jpg

051.jpg

079.jpg

few more pics:

061.jpg

092.jpg

076.jpg

I was there too with my wife and friend. It was pretty darn good all things considered. Nile mile was melting out quick, but coverage was pretty good elsewhere. Sullivan not running was a bummer.

They could probably keep the park open a little longer if they wanted to, coverage was decent on it and they still have some features set up pretty well.