Camelback Rangers

Papasteeze

Anyone know what their minimum attendance is, with the volunteer progam?

29446[/snapback]

As I recall (Big Zeke on the CB board is a ranger and can confirm), you need to commit to three shifts a week. The days need to be consistent - At least one needs to be a weekend day [maybe two]). You also need to pass a ski test, but you would pass it with no problem.

The issue I see is that you are such a compulsaholic about your kids development. If you were a ranger you would have to do weekends, and couldn't control where they placed you. The mountain is divided into three areas for ranger patrol - East, west and the midportion. If they assigned you to the middle, you couldn't cruise over to the racecourse, etc.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Addendum: They restrict what rangers can say about CB on messageboards. This has proven to be a problem with CB rangers in the past since CB is sensitive about the image their employees portray.

29462[/snapback]

If they want to restrict what I can say then it won't be a place I will donate my time, energy or effort to. I think I have way more to offer them than they have to offer me.. But that is just my humble opinion.. :lol

I don't think the Rangers or Staff at CB are currently necessarily displaying a real positive image comparitively to other mountains. I hear they are working to improve that. It may be I think that because CB gets more attention here than other places. I have my own first impression stories I could tell, but I don't, since it was more of a first impression than a lasting one.

Edit: Third thought.. regardless of what their current regimen is. Their refusal to have someones genuine offer to exclusively ranger the park would give me a really good indication of......

Edited by Papasteeze

To reiterate what Glenn said, Adam and I were skiing on the Asp, he went flying down, ranger behind him, me behind the ranger.  The ranger was far enough ahead of me that he stopped, turned to look at me, I shaped my turn so that the apex of my turn was a few feet from him going mach 10.  I was hoping he'd whistle at me, but nothing. I was mad.  But of course my SECOND time at Camelback I get pulled over for merging from Asp to meadows (there were just lolipops) and at blue mtn most lolipops say Expert Only / Obstacle.  There are some nice rangers out there, and some dicks.  Ski patrol at camelback is great though... :)  :D  :yes

29081[/snapback]

And out west all they say is cliff :rofl

Without reading the rest of this thread im just gonna say you might as well be a ranger, for the reasons you listed, and just so you know....if you ever try and punch my pass.... :rocks

• 2 months later...

i have had many experiences with ranger over my 17 yrs riding at camelback. the best had to be when i landed on dave (head ranger) coming down the double diamond(which i cant remeber the name right now) on a powder.

Most experiences have been very good. they do their job to the best of their ability. But ya gotta admit sometimes they just stick their nose where it doesnt belong(i.e. riders shaping the jumps bc the park crew is too stoned to understand)

i like blue mountain's policy of not having any at all. i havent been to CB in a long time, i guess blue's ski patrol does the job of the rangers and first aid at CD? if thats the case, the same things happen at blue. my friend's six year old sister almost lost her lift ticket for skiing in the ruts on the side of the trail. another incident happened when my brother and i were hiking blue's c rail. a patroller came through the park with his son, both his the lip of the c rail as if it were a jump, then stopped right on the landing to stand around and watch. needless to say, they got ripped apart by us. but on the other hand, there are some ski patrol who are cool with the terrain park scene and actually listen to what we have to say and try and "police" the park better so that we dont have to worry about hitting kids on landings and stuff like that. i admire what you are trying to do, but agree with ben in that your conscious effort to make things better might just encourage others to overexert their power in ways we wouldnt really like.

i have had many experiences with ranger over my 17 yrs riding at camelback.  the best had to be when i landed on dave (head ranger) coming down the double diamond(which i cant remeber the name right now) on a powder. 

34803[/snapback]

When was that?

Rob, please be a ranger.  Camelback needs more rational, non-crazy Rangers.

The actual reason why TRCB was started, was because Camelback locked a thread that Greg had started at the the RideCB board, that dealt with rangers.  We have come so far  :D

34810[/snapback]

Rob can't cause he has to be able to drive the lil runts around all the time...Not be able to work every saturday morning....

1996, flowing the pow

34851[/snapback]

Hmm I don't think hes there anymore. I believe the new head of the rangers (or even not so new) is named Fred....Least thats what I thought....But then again, if you hit any of the rangers, your pretty much screwed :unsure: