What size ski

Sno Mountain Skier

Help me pick a size  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Help me pick a size

it may feel like a lot of ski when you are cruising, but it should make up for that in the park with more pop! The 171 graphics are more subdued but are cutting edge too.

Steeze had no problems with a 4Frnt 147 and he is 4-9 @ 75lbs!! His AR3 140cm are well up to his forehead. It seems that all the serious park riders are on a much longer ski than you would normally see on a all mountain skier. Ask Gurp - I think he moving up to a TM 180 or something like that.

Im most likely getting 179cm fujis and im 5'8 145. Longer skis seems to give me more suport and stabily on landings and take offs. If you wanna steeze out ur park riding go with 176cm but if wanna just learn some new shit and not care about what it looks like go with a shorter ski. Some people may say differently but thats my opinion.

Im most likely getting 179cm fujis and im 5'8 145.

29863[/snapback]

Gurp - I saw them today, touched them, looked them over!! The bases have some slick graphics in them Very nice @ $300 Let me know before you buy and I'll see if I can get you a hookup.

Gurp - I saw them today, touched them, looked them over!!  The bases have some slick graphics in them Very nice @ $300  Let me know before you buy and I'll see if I can get you a hookup.

29866[/snapback]

How much can u get me hooked up for? Cause i might not get them till 1/2 way threw the season.

I am decieding between these two sizes and dont no which to pick. I am 5"8 give or take an inch, and weigh 145-155. Help me out.

29858[/snapback]

It depends very much on the ski itself. I'd consult with the ski shop guy. They usually have info from the manufacturer that tells them what to recommend.

I'm 5'8", 152 pounds and ski on 167's. I resisted going down to this size quite a bit as I'd made the progression from 193's (straight skis) to 187 to 184 and didn't think I should go below 175. Some skis that length were good, some shorter were too short. The pair I got was best for me in the 167 length. I am a great believer in demo'ing exactly the pair of skis you think you want to buy. Especially with shaped skis, different lengths can be totally different skis.

It depends very much on the ski itself.  I'd consult with the ski shop guy.  They usually have info from the manufacturer that tells them what to recommend. 

I'm 5'8", 152 pounds and ski on 167's.  I resisted going down to this size quite a bit as I'd made the progression from 193's (straight skis) to 187 to 184 and didn't think I should go below 175.  Some skis that length were good, some shorter were too short.  The pair I got was best for me in the 167 length.  I am a great believer in demo'ing exactly the pair of skis you think you want to buy.  Especially with shaped skis, different lengths can be totally different skis.

29890[/snapback]

I am not demoing these skis because i rode on pair of them a couple times last year. I asked the guy who runs the shop and he said a 176 would be best for , so i can grow into them.

I think what sib was getting at was even if you have ridden one size, you don't know what another is going to feel like. No one can pick the right size for you, not the us, the manufacturer, the ski shop employee, no one. It has to be the right ski for YOU. That is why demo'ing is important. Now you may want to keep in mind while demo'ing: it would be nice to have something a little bigger than I am fully comfortable with, but riding a pair is always going to beat some shop employees opinion, or even better yet a poll on a message board.

I think what sib was getting at was even if you have ridden one size, you don't know what another is going to feel like. No one can pick the right size for you, not the us, the manufacturer, the ski shop employee, no one. It has to be the right ski for YOU. That is why demo'ing is important. Now you may want to keep in mind while demo'ing: it would be nice to have something a little bigger than I am fully comfortable with, but riding a pair is always going to beat some shop employees opinion, or even better yet a poll on a message board.

29892[/snapback]

The major reason i am not demoing is because the company i am buying off of is out in New Hampshire. Another reason is because you have to pre order these skis because they sell out so fast.

What skis are you looking at? Armadas? The size of the ski really has to do with what your riding ability is, and the ski itself. I'm like 6'2" and I ride a 177. I'd say go with the longer, unless you have things to worry about like swing weight. If you do get the 176's, I would worry about them being a little too long. That may be a good size for an experienced newschooler on ns, but 2 inches over your head might be a little to much to handle. Center mounting it will make it feel shorter, and it will perform really well in the park with some minor adjustments in your style, but I've heard mixed feelings about centermounting outside of the park. I think coming from a 153 and going to a 176 may be too big of a leap. 176 may be good, but make sure you don't get too burly of a ski.

Yeah, I would lean towards the shorter pair myself. It's not like years ago, where longer skis were somehow proof of more advanced skills. Nowadays you are going to tailor the skis to your size, your strength, and your skiing preferences. Longer skis tend to be more stable at speed, shorter skis easier to turn. So, if you want to schuss down cruisers all the time, go with the longer skis. If you want to handle moguls, powder, trees and other tough terrain that requires a shorter ski arc, go with the shorter skis.

And just because you tried a pair last year doesn't mean you don't have to demo them in each size. Truly, you can try a ski at 167, try the SAME ski at 174, and it feels totally different!

I've got a pair of k2 axis xt's in 174. I was skeptical about getting them that long because of my weight being so light. I told the guy at the shop I would like to demo a pair first to see what size I would like to get. I went out and demoed the k2 axis xt in 167 and 174. The 167 was much easier to turn, but it didn't handle speed that well and I wasn't even skiing really fast. I didn't even try to ski in them my fastest because they just kept on chattering. The 174 was a little harder to turn but it didn't chatter like the 167 did. I picked up my speed on the 174 and it still didn't chatter, so I decided to buy the 174. After skiing on the 174 for a while the turning became easier just like the 167.

my personal experience with armada is that they ski a lot shorter than the size they list at. its definately a good solid park ski that you can still take anywhere else and have fun with too. but going for a 176 and mounting it up maybe one or two centimeters wouldnt be a bad call. the 176 is probably going to be about head high on you, but its a really forgiving ski too, so it shouldnt really be a problem. i'm 6' 165 lbs and on a pair of 180 4FRNTs and they really dont feel much longer than my 171 1080's just because it's a ski designed for the park, which is what the aramadas are too, meaning you can ski them a little longer than you would a normal ski. also, before you buy them online, check out nestor's ski mania sale august 19th - 21st, all the new stuff for this year at about 40% off.

my personal experience with armada is that they ski a lot shorter than the size they list at. its definately a good solid park ski that you can still take anywhere else and have fun with too. but going for a 176 and mounting it up maybe one or two centimeters wouldnt be a bad call. the 176 is probably going to be about head high on you, but its a really forgiving ski too, so it shouldnt really be a problem. i'm 6' 165 lbs and on a pair of 180 4FRNTs and they really dont feel much longer than my 171 1080's just because it's a ski designed for the park, which is what the aramadas are too, meaning you can ski them a little longer than you would a normal ski. also, before you buy them online, check out nestor's ski mania sale august 19th - 21st, all the new stuff for this year at about 40% off.

29945[/snapback]

I would do that but,i have a store credit of $399 where i am buying them at.