Camelback Superbowl Sunday

Mess

Arrived at camelback around 8:45 and it was crowded.  I was expecting lighter crowds because of Super Bowl.  Jumped on the Sullivan Express and after a 5 minute wait.  Made a mistake and started down Julius Caesar trail and had to cross country ski until we got on Near east to Pocono Raceway.  End up taking the Raceway lift up to take a second run on Poc raceway since the snow was so good.  These were the best conditions I have been on this year.  Snow was soft yet still pretty fast.  We then took Bactrian trail to the Stevenson Express which seemed like a big mistake.  We must have had a 10-15 minute wait to get on the lift due to huge crowd and the race team and lessons getting to the front of the line.  I talked my wife into taking a run down Nile Mile even though we would have to wait in the long lift line again.  It was worth the wait.  My son and wife really enjoyed Nile Mile.  Really nice long run.  We then went to The Cameltop Lodge. It is so much better than the best lodge.  Very relaxing and laid back.  After our break we took a run down Big Pocono, It was a fun run and pretty challenging for my 7 year old. We then took the Bailey Express lift.  Although it was slower we didn't have to stand in the lines.  We took 2 runs down King Tut.  The first run down Tut was the family run of the day.  Some soft bumps started to form skiers left.  The second run my wife had her first fall of the year after watching two people collide.  Luckily no one was injured.  That ended my son and wife's day.  When they went to get changed I got to take my run of the day which was Hump.  Great snow and fun.

I was surprised how accommodating the lifties were at Camelback.  They genuinely seemed to care about helping the young kids get on the lift safely and even were putting the bar down before going up the mountain which was a nice touch.  I have seen some lift attendants act like jerks at Jack Frost going up D-Lift when a kid ventured down Ridge runner.

I also was wondering the difference between Blue and Camelback.  I know many on this site dislike Camelback.  My experience is they are very similar.  They are the 2 big mountains in Poconos.  They both seem to get very crowded and have long lift lines on weekends.  

Nice report. I never understand why people think ski areas would be less crowded due to the Super Bowl. I think alot of people think that way and it ends up being equally crowded or more crowded. The Super Bowl isn't till 630PM anyway.

I would say the main difference between blue mountain and camelback is that Blue mountain has a longer sustained pitch and longer runs and less merges..camelback has more lodges, après ski options, is a little more polished and more lifts.