12/26/17...snowmaking, empty..runaway ski!!!

GrilledSteezeSandwich

4 hours ago, eaf said:

How's it empty though? I check the webcams from time to time, and there seem to be plenty of people all over the place. Only now it's clearing out.

I'm actually considering to abandon my night skiing plans at BM on Thursday and go to JF instead... Because there the eastern side is literally empty. Not a soul.

I skied 7 runs in the first 56 minutes and then another 7 or so runs by 10:10am despite the ski snafu..I had maybe two runs total where people preventing me from skiing as fast as I wanted and didn't wait in any lines.  That's empty to me. Should be more of the same tomorrow AM. Holiday crowds show up much later especially the day after Christmas when everybody is hungover from the holidays. People were spilling in at 1030-11..a nice Asian family in a van got Atomic jeffs spot. 

I can attest that Atomic jeffs skis are stable as fuck and solid high speed carvers if you're a fast skier...my mantras were pretty much perfect this morning and they are also 184s and 96 underfoot.  Slalom skis would have been fine his morning it's just they have a speed limit on them.  As for the binding brake issue about three years ago the same thing happened and it was resolved with a screw driver..and after skiing Atomic Jeff made sure both of my pairs of skis bindings were fine and I'll have him put his famous 3 degree glove ripping bevel on them both soon..anyway not the first time I've had a couple of screws loose.  

Eaf you should just buy a season pass to blue.  All the night passes you buy must be adding up and also buy some midfats for the sugar blue is famous for.  Once they stop blowing snow it will make a comeback. 

I had a birds-eye view of Jeff's disintegration, as I was riding up the Main Street lift just clearing Midway when I saw it happen.
I was wondering what was left up the hill, as it was too small to be goggles.

Luckily that little kid coming down Midway had enough speed to cross the slide.

Good to hear Jeff's ok!

Snow was superb all over the mountain, save the bumps, which were ok first thing, but went right down to the icebergs after a few runs.
Lazy in the afternoon was ridiculous crowded.  It was a weave and bob the entire run, bordering on the danger zone with the number of people on it.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I had a birds-eye view of Jeff's disintegration, as I was riding up the Main Street lift just clearing Midway when I saw it happen.
I was wondering what was left up the hill, as it was too small to be goggles.

Luckily that little kid coming down Midway had enough speed to cross the slide.

Good to hear Jeff's ok!

Snow was superb all over the mountain, save the bumps, which were ok first thing, but went right down to the icebergs after a few runs.
Lazy in the afternoon was ridiculous crowded.  It was a weave and bob the entire run, bordering on the danger zone with the number of people on it.

Jeff was even saying he didn't see indiggio at all and I said the bumpers sometimes ride the Main Street chair and I was right lol. 

• Like 1

Got to Blue just a bit after 7 pm and parked in the Upper lot for convenience in case Pops wanted to visit his mug up at the Last Run Lounge before heading out. Booted up inside for the same reason and on the snow by 730ish. 

Had a nice run down Burma and skied though the Yeti bypass to see what they put in there. A small flush to the snow box and a second one sticking up just a bit with a tiny ride on ramp were in there. Snow was nice, a bit scraped off in the corners but not nearly as bad as one could expect during hour 12 of operation during a holiday week. Took it down to the valley and up the 6 for a run down Paradise.

Another enjoyable run, spent most of it on the edges of the trail where there was plenty of loose snow to be had and minimal scraped areas. Sixer back up and over to Lazy. Had some gullets and humps formed at the top of the trail, I guess from people cutting in from both sides, but nothing that couldn't be handled easily and the trail cleaned up immediately and was in great shape, even on the hard right at the bottom. Over and down the Falls and I think that's when we took our one quad ride. They had a couple of cats pushing out Razors, so looks like that one's just a matter of days. 

Guns were blazing on NightWeaver and they were getting awesome production. Hopped off the quad and took a run down Sidewinder. Lots of fun and really looking forward to getting some more runs on it this year as a ski trail. Enjoyed the run but was definitely the most scraped run we found all night; Challenge and Chute looked like they were  probably scraped more bare, but we didn't hit those. After a second trip over the Falls we stopped for the first waffle of the season before going back up the six to hit Main St.

Found plenty of loose snow coating Main st and easy to read wear patterns that made it a cinch to stay off the smooth surfaces. Upper Main was great and Lower Main had minimal chop, but got a little spicy for me as my goggles iced up right in the area where the upcoming trail fills my field of vision, coupled with going through a dark spot skier's right that made the small chop tough to read (through icy gogs.)

Took the double back up and noticed they had a single gun pointed into each of the glades. Looks like their really aggressively taking advantage of these cold temps this week. There was a ton of base being pushed out on Razors, and some nice whales sitting on Widowmaker, although with the micro-micro-climate and waist deep powder that trail always has, they probably don't need it and I wonder why it's not open yet.

Come around over to Burma, and jumped on the double again. Talked about cutting out, but decided conditions on Main were so good we wanted to get another run. Patrol was doing a sideslipping drill on the right side, but plenty of room for a last fast, fun run back to the double. Well, Last if you don't count Easy Out and .5Vista back to the lodge. As hard as I had to work to skate through all the fresh man-made at the top of the double, I'm counting it, lol, for 8 runs and got back in the lodge just after 9. Decided against hitting the bar and just headed out.

Run of the day was Main St followed by Burma. Likely back on the snow Thursday night.

• Like 4