Free lift tic from MC with $25. donation

mtnbiker99x

See e-mail I got this morning from Intrawest/Mountain Creek:

Dear Friend,

Unprecedented tragedy requires unprecedented actions. We at Mountain Creek are deeply saddened by the devastating losses caused by Hurricane Katrina. Like many of you, we've felt helpless to combat the massive destruction and despair, yet wondered what we can do to help. So we hope you will forgive this intrusion, and join with us in helping to make a difference in the lives of the thousands of victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Mountain Creek will offer a free 2005-2006 lift ticket to anyone who donates $25 or more to the Red Cross Disaster Relief fund through the resort by Friday, September 16, 2005.

In order to take part in this fundraiser, you are asked to bring checks, payable to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Effort, to the resort's Human Resources office (located in the Cobblestone Village adjacent to the main parking lot at Vernon Base) during regular business hours Monday - Friday, or mail a check to Shannon McSweeney, Mountain Creek, 200 Route 94, Vernon, NJ 07462, and the free lift ticket vouchers will be sent via return mail. If you are unable to make a donation of $25, but would like to contribute to the cause please call the Red Cross directly at 1-800-HELP-NOW.

Thank you,

Your friends at Mountain Creek

Genius.  For every person who donates $25, MC writes $60 (or however much a adult weekend/holiday pass is) off their taxes.  Not saying you shouldn't take advantage of this, but it's a nice little loophole MC is capitalizing on.

32029[/snapback]

The check is made out directly to the Red Cross so its not like it comes from MC's bank account. You write the check on your bank account and they forward the check to the Red Cross. Even if they are able to write it off what they give away they still have to make up costs to turn a profit at end of year or end up with a loss. Its one less ticket they would sell during the season.

I am donating $25. to Red Cross through MC and then the rest of what I am giving through my Union at work.

Its one less ticket they would sell during the season.

32032[/snapback]

Exactly. It's a write-off.

Also, they still stand to make a fair bit of money when people get food in the food court, rent skis, etc etc.

Don't get me confused, this is awesome and I love seeing stuff like this, it's going to get people to donate to the Red Cross AND get a free pass, but it's also marketing genius on MC's part.

Let's hope the other ski resorts do this as well.

It's true that companies can deduct the costs but still, it's the thought that counts and it's a fabulous idea.

32042[/snapback]

absolutely!!! I really don't care who makes what and who deducts that.. It's all about keeping cost's down to go skiing!! $25 lift tickets!! :woot

MC just went up in my opinion. Who cares if it is a tax loop hole - more power to them.

Iceman and I were just discussing giving a donation to the Red Cross v. United Way. Anyone know about the voucher limitations? Is it an anytime day ticket? Or one that can only be used on alternate Thursdays? I'd have my whole family give through them if we can get usable passes.

MC just went up in my opinion.  Who cares if it is a tax loop hole - more power to them.

Iceman and I were just discussing giving a donation to the Red Cross v. United Way. Anyone know about the voucher limitations?  Is it an anytime day ticket?  Or one that can only be used on alternate Thursdays?  I'd have my whole family give through them if we can get usable passes.

32065[/snapback]

Just do $25 at a time, each under a different name. Thats what we have decided to do!!

I usually get a free pass in the mail from Intrawest every year and it does not have restrictions. Usually Mountain Creek stuff has no restrictions.

They have a link on their website now.

http://www.mountaincreek.com/hurricane.htm

It seems like a good deal, I was sending money anyway before I got the e-mail this morning. Hopefully more mountains will participate in something like this.

Their ASRA course is fun. Why not get a free ticket to a race I'd pay to go to. I also heard that their NASTAR is on the same course - at least sometimes - much steeper than the Pocono NASTARs.

Anyway, Atomic, you can fly us there in your jet. :naughty

Edited by skimom

Anyway, Atomic, you can fly us there in your jet.  :naughty

32096[/snapback]

i don't have one, my friend's dad is the CEO of a rather large medical company, and uses their jet.

If gas prices remain where they are at for winter it is going to be a slow season on the slopes this winter.

32098[/snapback]

Definatly. The cost of lift tickets + gas for a one day trip would be so much, especially those coming from philadelphia or new york (in camelbacks case)

I work for one of the mountains a couple days a week, and its looking like its not going to be worth it this winter. I pretty much work there for fun but the gas price is going to take any fun out of it.

Truck = 15 MPG

Gas = $3.25

Mileage 95 miles each way, total 190 each day.

= $41.00 or more just in gas for each day worked.

Edited by mtnbiker99x

Let's wait to see how much gas goes down after Labor day. 

Skiing will probably slow if the prices remain so high, but we could also get downscaled trips from people who would have gone out west or to New England.

32107[/snapback]

I don't think so, 'Mom. I bet this year will have the shortest lift lines since before snowboarding began.

Yeah...but just think about it. Pocono ski areas do some amazingly high percentage of their business during XMass week into New Years. I believe it's 60% of their entire annual revenue.

A lot of casual skiing/riding families are going to be making serious choices this holiday season.

Who gets hurt the most? Certainly Montage could suffer...and Tanglwood and Alpine. Montage's lift lines are short enough already. IDK---just have to see what happens.