Camera man dude

steezy

Hey guys,

My brother and I have had this crazy wicked idea to make about movie about skiing, not just skiing but the lifestyle. Since neither of us are experenced in fliming or photograpy I figured I would ask you characters. They way that I had this laid out in my head was that we would get 2 or 3 kids with cameras and they would be our flim team. Then have a kid with a nice camera(digital) and he would be our photographer. I would like have as many people in this movie as possible. I was planning on being in the movie as well as my brother(snowboarder) and alot of our friends. Since we manily ride at cb I figured I would post it here. I think that if we had 3 sections, freeride,park, and racing we could cover the whole skiing lifestyle. Not forgetting the unforgetable nights and the unforgetable friends. Post here or pm me

Why exactly do you need a photographer? I'm just not sure I understand the benefit of having both a videographer (or three) as well as a photographer. Perhaps I'm just completely naieve when it comes to this stuff.

nah I just threw it in there for fun....... my brother thought it might be a good idea, i personally dont see the need

... it worked for Warren Miller.

I'd hardly call WM films "reality." Also, WM videos are filmed at the best locations in the best conditions with some of the best skiers and snowboarders in the world. Warren has been making films for 50+ years and has a ridiculous budget. These are a few of the reasons why people watch his videos.

I had a long paragraph about the amount of work that goes into the type of project that VFS is talking about, but I'll keep it (somewhat) short.

EASY

HARD

Finding someone to film you for a day

Finding three people to film you all season for free

Finding a camera

Finding 3 GOOD cameras for free

Finding someone who can edit

Finding someone who is GOOD at editing for free

Making the Poconos interesting

Affording hundreds of hours worth of miniDV tapes

Finding somebody who actually wants to watch a movie about you and your friends

What you are proposing is not a bad idea. Unfortunately, it requires hundreds of hours of work and strong dedication. Mabye some day there will be a reality show based on a ski town and it's inhabitants, but trying to make one yourself would be insanely difficult. Also, I don't mean to be a dick, but it seems a bit egotistical that you are trying to find all these people to work so they can film you, your brother, and your friends. Camelback really isn't all that interesting :/ But hey, prove me wrong. If you are serious about this, put a ton of effort into it and make your video and it will be, at the least, entertaining. I'd love to see a thread here about your finished video a few months from now, but just know that the road to that finished product is a very long, hard, and expensive one. Good luck.

Edited by DHarrisburg

I'd hardly call WM films "reality." Also, WM videos are filmed at the best locations in the best conditions with some of the best skiers and snowboarders in the world. Warren has been making films for 50+ years and has a ridiculous budget.

When he started, he had none of those thing, he was sleeping in his car at a resort. BUT, at the time there were not hundreds of existing movies about exactly the same things.

I would have to agree that this is going to be very, very difficult, and the chances of making it to (successful)completion would be almost nil.

If you are going to do it, you should be looking to showcase some of the obvious talent of some of the local riders, and be prepared to do more than just CB, making CB look good for more than a few shots is going to take some artistic talent.

I'd hardly call WM films "reality." Also, WM videos are filmed at the best locations in the best conditions with some of the best skiers and snowboarders in the world. Warren has been making films for 50+ years and has a ridiculous budget. These are a few of the reasons why people watch his videos.

I had a long paragraph about the amount of work that goes into the type of project that VFS is talking about, but I'll keep it (somewhat) short.

EASY

HARD

Finding someone to film you for a day

Finding three people to film you all season for free

Finding a camera

Finding 3 GOOD cameras for free

Finding someone who can edit

Finding someone who is GOOD at editing for free

Making the Poconos interesting

Affording hundreds of hours worth of miniDV tapes

Finding somebody who actually wants to watch a movie about you and your friends

What you are proposing is not a bad idea. Unfortunately, it requires hundreds of hours of work and strong dedication. Mabye some day there will be a reality show based on a ski town and it's inhabitants, but trying to make one yourself would be insanely difficult. Also, I don't mean to be a dick, but it seems a bit egotistical that you are trying to find all these people to work so they can film you, your brother, and your friends. Camelback really isn't all that interesting :/ But hey, prove me wrong. If you are serious about this, put a ton of effort into it and make your video and it will be, at the least, entertaining. I'd love to see a thread here about your finished video a few months from now, but just know that the road to that finished product is a very long, hard, and expensive one. Good luck.

Not just me and my brother and my friends but you and your friends and everyone that wants to me in the movie

I'd hardly call WM films "reality."

WM highlights both the sking/snowboarding, and the lifestyle of many of the skiers/riders. It's certainly not reality tv, but its far more than just footage of sking/riding.

... don't you have a website highlighting you and your friends riding? Don't you include lots of non-riding info on the site just to provide some level of personality to the "team" or whatever it is.

They may not make money on this venture, no one may end up liking it in the long run. Who cares man, it will be a blast to make, and if other people dig it, even better.

I used to do photo essays once a week, or so, for the newspapers I worked for. You don't have to live in Jackson Hole to produce something amazing that has a regional or national interest; you have to just produce something amazing looking. Of course you'll be shooting for a niche audience, but make every shot unique, whether it's angle, light, or whatever. Zaldon's helmet cam is a good starting point. And the secret to WM has always been the humor.

Every skier has seen tons of footage of the Wasatch or wherever. But footage that has personality can be shot anywhere.

I spent six months in the ER at Hunterdon Medical Center (in NJ) doing an essay on an ER doctor. It took six months because I had to wait that long for him to dramatically save someone's life. A dozen people a night are brought back to life at Denver General, but I sat around on overnight shifts waiting for just one, month after month.

My point is that anything is possible and you aren't limited by the Poconos at all.

It could be done especially with the help from the members of this board.

not really. look at any warner miller film how much do you see then riding shitty icy conditions? more so if you want to have a free style section, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Terrence Breen made a film last year and he put in a lot of effort and the tricks were mostly on, but the land, the rails the trails were nothing. who cares if you 270 onto a 3 foot long box, it's not interesting. 7 inches of snow doesn't not translate well into "pow".

I mean i'm all for it, but at the end you just don't have very much.

That completely misses the point. Look at, for example, something as simple as Camelback's brochure if you happen to have one laying around and check the page called "Feels Like Freedom". I'm not terribly interested in arguing the point, but I'm telling you an awesome movie 'could' be done anywhere.

Saying that everything done locally has sucked isn't a measure of what is possible. We made a video at Big Boulder almost 10 years ago with a camera strapped to my boot top. I was just screwing around with my GF at the time.

I did a photo essay at a small place called Mt. Tom and got some greats shot with a fisheye lens in the trough of a mogul, shooting up at guys catching air.

look at any warner miller film how much do you see then riding shitty icy conditions?

I know it's not what you meant, but one of the classic Warren Miller segments was done on an icy bunny hill, btw.