Montage getting ready to blow

Wolverine21

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went up to get my pass today and they were setting up all the snow machines and they already have them setup on mainline and highball so hopefully the weather stays cool and montager can get blowin

I just called, and they are only testing out the guns and lights tonight.

Edited by montageskier

They had pipe issues on the far left of the mountain that are part of $1 million of needed upgrades. I can't imagine they fixed it, but I don't know.

Also, White Lightning is one of the last slopes to get snowmaking. Despite it being their 'signature' slope---like Cliffhanger at CB---it's also the least trafficed slope.

And unless you're skiing with newbies, having Lower Fast Track, Lower Runaway, Cannonball, Smoke, Boomer, White Lightning, and Switch open is pretty much considered 100% open...

Part of the charm, Doug; it's like going to grandma's house where the toilet handle needs to be jiggled, it's too hot in one room and too cold in another, and the cat keeps yacking up hairballs and mice parts.

Maybe Montage will eventually get bought out by Intrawest or some big ski corporation. It will eventually happen with Blue mountain when the owner dies.

Hopefully someday. But the only upgrade i want at montage is a High speed quad right next to the Phoebe Snow lift and then bring it to the top of Whistler, that would be so nice to have, Continous long runs with a fast lift.

boo for montage the way it is.

no snow.

Ha!

Snow Time has shown interest, but not until the price and conditions drop. Snow Time owns Windham, Rountop, Liberty, and Whitetail. The first thing they'd do is upgrade to a high speed quad.

I would change nothing. :no

I believe there's a lot more acreage they could cut trails on. They could even add a dozen trails within the current bounaries. They could do something very Mad River Glen-like between WL and Boomer.

Replacing the Long Haul chair? Yeah, I guess. I mean, that's what would happen. But I like the novelty of how hard it is to even get to the far left of the mountain. The Long Haul hardly ever runs, which means you have to ski 50 yards uphill and around that lift to come down skiers right, which is an amazing, high speed cruising run.

But because there's work involved, it's always empty.

What about a base to summit high speed quad and an automated snowmaking system. Does Montage have more land to develop more ski runs?

Im not sure about out of bounds land, but they could put a nice trail under the Phoebe snow lift. And leave the cliff at the bottom and just blow snow all over it to make it great.

I believe there's a lot more acreage they could cut trails on. They could even add a dozen trails within the current bounaries. They could do something very Mad River Glen-like between WL and Boomer.

Replacing the Long Haul chair? Yeah, I guess. I mean, that's what would happen. But I like the novelty of how hard it is to even get to the far left of the mountain. The Long Haul hardly ever runs, which means you have to ski 50 yards uphill and around that lift to come down skiers right, which is an amazing, high speed cruising run.

But because there's work involved, it's always empty.

I think it would be smart to take out long haul, and then not put a lift right there. Put if right next to the Phoebe Snow. To do this you could take runs on the upper mtn , and then come down and decide to go up the Phoebe for runs on boomer and WL. It would work so well right there.

wasnt there a cliff on boomer before? i heard it was there before i moved to the area. i dont think it would work because of liability, but we can dream about a run under that lift, haha. that would be pretty amazing.

that bottom area would get pretty tight with all that area emptying into it, but i agree that would be great. we need someone to scoop that place up quickly after this season is over to put that lift in. i like moving between the north face and that far side, but its pretty inconvenient taking two slow lifts in a row. at least moving to the north face is far easier.

i think they could easily cut trails on the fat side of the far side. many people ride the woods out there, so its quite possible.

all the way on the right seems to drop off steeply. it would be nice, but i doubt they would do that because they like that place as a beginners area. plus, those trails would be very isolated from any trails of even moderate difficulty.

Long haul is a pointless lift...mainly because they never have it running. That lift is hell on a cold day. I also like taking fastrack runs when it isn't running, completely empty. A lift from the bottom of pheobe to the top of whistler would interfere with iron horse wouldn't it? That would be an ideal place for a lift though... As for expansion, i'm pretty sure that i have heard that there are plans somewhere already drawn up for more trails off to the left of fastrack. Maybe in the first aid building? I'm not saying that there is plans for this to happen...more of a wish list i suppose. A run under pheobe would be awesome...all those little rock drops ending with that last cliff at the bottom. I don't think crowding would be a problem with two lifts at the bottom of north face, everyone that wants to get on iron horse uses the quad anyway. With two lifts i can only imagine that it would help by deviding the pheobe line into two different lifts.

I think it would be smart to take out long haul, and then not put a lift right there. Put if right next to the Phoebe Snow. To do this you could take runs on the upper mtn , and then come down and decide to go up the Phoebe for runs on boomer and WL. It would work so well right there.

Yeah, the major problem is the grading at the summit. There's no central high point that allows you to get off the lift and choose any of the summit slopes. It's especially bad for boarders.

My little one loves doing laps on Highball, but we park next to Phoebe Snow and put our skis on there at the top of the lift. So you have to then have to choose your poison: ski down to Iron Horse, then skate uphill when you get to the summit, or ski down and skate around the lodge to Shuttle lift.

yes, left of fast track is what i was talking talking about n the woods.

thanks for the information on the cliff. i didnt know it was all that.

concerning going up hill and boarders, i can move wickedly for a rider, haha. however, i like to sit down to strap in so thats an equalizer of sorts. my high back has too much forward lean to stand and do it, but when i mount up with my new stiffer high backs, i can afford to ease off the lean. hopefully ill still get the same great response and be able to strap standing.

Edited by skitzo