Montage getting ready to blow

Wolverine21

The terrain between Boomer and White Lightning seems neat. Alot of skiers and riders hate traverses and slight uphill sections to get to the run. I think it's cool because it thins out the herd. It's amazing how much extra powder/ quality turns by just getting a little more exercise.

Ya last year, I was on Upper and lower fastrack with all powder, not a single track, other then mine and our friends, Come back next morning ,same thing, and then two mornings later same thing. We were the only people to go on a powder covered slope for 3 days.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long haul is a pointless lift...mainly because they never have it running. That lift is hell on a cold day. I also like taking fastrack runs when it isn't running, completely empty. A lift from the bottom of pheobe to the top of whistler would interfere with iron horse wouldn't it? That would be an ideal place for a lift though... As for expansion, i'm pretty sure that i have heard that there are plans somewhere already drawn up for more trails off to the left of fastrack. Maybe in the first aid building? I'm not saying that there is plans for this to happen...more of a wish list i suppose. A run under pheobe would be awesome...all those little rock drops ending with that last cliff at the bottom. I don't think crowding would be a problem with two lifts at the bottom of north face, everyone that wants to get on iron horse uses the quad anyway. With two lifts i can only imagine that it would help by deviding the pheobe line into two different lifts.

As for the expansion to the fast tracks, It would never happen. It gets to much sun light, they barely get the fast tracks open, so they wouldnt be willing to cut more tails and not get them open. But, A trail between WL and Boomer would be nice, last year a kid i know did it and he said it was nuts. But seriously Montage has so many good spots, that can be cut and made into a great trail.

Taking a spill on that run would be real embarrassing. I usually take my worst falls in the parking lot or the cafeteria.

haha true...but i was just using that as a little scale. Just have yourself a picnic at the bottom of the steps leading to the lodge at montage and you will have yourself some nice chuckles. Skiers really should learn how to take on steps :rofl

No, Upper Runaway is is just an incredibly wide, sunny slope. It's the antithesis of what you usually find in this area (no protection for snow from sun or wind). There is a steep headwall above this, so you can rip down it, but this stretch is flat.

The next slope over to skier's right is Upper and then Lower Fast Track, which is a blast to scream down. There's one point, as you go under the lift, that the bottom drops out and you can easily catch as much air as you want, like some spots at Okemo.

The fast tracks/ runaways are some of the most fun trails I've ever been on. You can ride that trail all day and not see a single soul. On that note, everyone forget what you've read in this thread. I want to keep these trails to myself! :P

Taking a spill on that run would be real embarrassing. I usually take my worst falls in the parking lot or the cafeteria.

No taking a spill on the flat part of Burma Road at blue is embarassing. It happened to me, for what ever reason my right ski just stopped dead in its tracts and the left kept on going forward. Needless to say I fell over and felt like an idiot.

The fast tracks/ runaways are some of the most fun trails I've ever been on. You can ride that trail all day and not see a single soul. On that note, everyone forget what you've read in this thread. I want to keep these trails to myself! :P

Absolutely, Schif...I don't know what the heck I was thinking giving ski4food a hard time when he said his newbie GF didn't even find any challenge in WL. It's okay to harsh on Montage...and those freeeaaaking slow-ass lifts!

(Well, anyone from this MB is always welcome.)

O ya forgot one thing, THEY HAVE THE LIGHTS ON RIGHT NOW, AND IM NOT SURE BUT LOOKS LIKE SNOWMAKING IS GOING ON. Well i will definetly find out if it is just the lights on or snow being made tommrowo morning. I was taking my dogs out and looked up in the sky and saw a orange light over my neighbors house, and was like holy shit the lights are on, and went acroos the road, and what do i see. I wouldnt see why not they would have the guns going so hopefully.

I will be back in 5 minutes, gonna go get a better view.

And it has started, they are making snow right now. I took out some Binoculars and im 75% sure they are making snow on Mainline, and the top of cannonball, and bunny.

Edited by montageskier

Here I spicened up your picture. Yellow means new lifts, and pink is new trails.http://tinypic.com/fz87eg.jpg

great job, and i mostly agree with your plans, and that area past easy street would be great. i seriously doubt management would develop so much just jutting out there, but again, we can wish. i was hoping i could upload a higher resolution picture to the pasr gallery, and if needed, ill use photobucket.

great job, and i mostly agree with your plans, and that area past easy street would be great. i seriously doubt management would develop so much just jutting out there, but again, we can wish. i was hoping i could upload a higher resolution picture to the pasr gallery, and if needed, ill use photobucket.

Last season we hiked back there. It was good, but a little to many rocks and tree stumps. When they had debris from cutting other trails, they just through them in the woods. But, It is kinda steep maybe a little less than Lower fast track, but there are some little cliffs back there to, maybe the biggest one was 7 feet big.