Hunter 11-19

DMC

Jeez, DMC, it's REALLY super that warm city temps kept peoples mind's off skiing/riding Hunter AND Belleayre this weekend. Really, it's a GREAT thing. And I imagine KMart and the Bush were empty today, as well. If you feel that changes our experiences on past opening days where absolute butthead *ssholes have crashed into my kids while catching blind air, then go right ahead.

You are the one that said how much you can't wait for the Poconos and MC to open to be rid of the crowds.

You are welcome to have your glowing opinion of Hunter. It's your opinion. My opinion comes from my own experience with some truly dangerous situations.

I don't troll over to your Hunter MB and bash Hunter. But I freely express and share my experiences of Hunter here among my PA friends.

Do you really have a problem with that? Is it mandatory to you that everyone love Hunter? I've worked there, had my oldest in three Thanksgiving race camps there, and still have friends that ski there regularly.

It's cool to see your pics. Leaving out repetitive negativity would have made them cooler.

I'm just busting your chops... Thought you could take it... I guess I was wrong.. But I think you deserve it based upon you own negativity and the gross exagerations you freely made but never took back in spite of first hand repsorts and photographic evidence.....

I got you reaction... I made my statment... I proved that what you had foretold was a load of crap... Been waiting to prove you wrong since you made those exagerations...

I'm done now... But I woild like to add that if anyone ever blasted Montage on my website - I'd probably challenge them as well.... Cause I like the joint..

Have a nice winter everyone!!! Come on up to Hunter! Enjoy the mountain... We're supposed to get a bunch of snow Tuesday - Wednesday should be sweeet!!

Probably going to hit Camelback at some point this season.... maybe I'll see some of you there..

Jeez, DMC, it's REALLY super that warm city temps kept peoples mind's off skiing/riding Hunter AND Belleayre this weekend. Really, it's a GREAT thing. And I imagine KMart and the Bush were empty today, as well. If you feel that changes our experiences on past opening days where absolute butthead *ssholes have crashed into my kids while catching blind air, then go right ahead.

JimG and i were talking about your reaction to my post and foretold thats exactly what you'd say...

Cause like I once said... You the type of person that can NEVER be wrong.. And just to prove you wrong again... Killington was an absolute madhouse this weekend...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i love how hunters ski patrol lets u set anything up as long as u got bamboo sticks and ask permission they almost always let you hit something if you are out of the way. i had a good time.

Hunter ski patrol is cool... Jay - the guy who runs it was talking last night about how everyone was really cool with the kickers...

Thanks them next time - or write a letter and let the management know!

Edited by DMC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You spent how many hours waiting, worrying, plotting, discussing, and photographing today for my benefit? You even took the time to carefully compose a picture of your watch in front of the slopes for me? That is TOOOOO funny! I feel soooo special!

Okay, DMC, Hunter is an empty and friendly place. And you don't have a strange obsession with disproving the FACT that Hunter is typically overrun by NYC gapers?

Your very thread could have been a beautiful depiction of opening weekend, but you decided to waste it on some weird revenge?

Thanks for thinking of me all weekend long. I feel a little guilty that you wasted one of the few days of the season that Hunter isn't packed wall-to-wall with the Manhattan masses worrying about me.

Sure makes me want to head back to Hunter! Gotta love the happy go lucky, friendly locals!

You spent how many hours waiting, worrying, plotting, discussing, and photographing today for my benefit? You even took the time to carefully compose a picture of your watch in front of the slopes for me? That is TOOOOO funny! I feel soooo special!

Okay, DMC, Hunter is an empty and friendly place. And you don't have a strange obsession with disproving the FACT that Hunter is typically overrun by NYC gapers?

Your very thread could have been a beautiful depiction of opening weekend, but you decided to waste it on some weird revenge?

Thanks for thinking of me all weekend long. I feel a little guilty that you wasted one of the few days of the season that Hunter isn't packed wall-to-wall with the Manhattan masses worrying about me.

Sure makes me want to head back to Hunter! Gotta love the happy go lucky, friendly locals!

you pissed me off so much with what you said about cigarette buts and bottle caps that yes - I did plan on proving you wrong.. So what...?? Don't flatter yourself - I spent maybe one minture thinking about what you said and how I'd address it and set the facts straight... And the only picture I took for you was the one with the watch...

But seriously... Excellent reaction! Exactly what I expected with all the blasts about Manhattanites..

Anybody that knows me, knoews that I am indeed a freindly local... Except to people that grossly exagerate negative things about where I live...

I'm done with this... I think I have sufficiently proven my point and set the record straight... :)

Enjoy! You may now have the last word! :)

(moderators may now ban me if they think I'm a troll...)

DMC: Hunter is a quiet, inexpensive, friendly, empty, clean place. A group of kids did NOT steal 14 stubby gates and ruin a Thanksgiving race camp. I have NOT witnessed people flick lit cigarettes from lifts at my classes dozens of times. I haven't witnessed a half-dozen fights. My kids have NOT been nearly decapitated by kids hitting blind jumps.

You worked so hard this weekend on my behalf that I'll take it all back. Hunter rules!

EDIT: PS, I'm sorry I made you stew over this for so long. I'm truly sorry my opinion and experiences had this much effect on you.

Edited by ski999

QUOTE(OutCold @ Nov 20 2005, 05:07 PM) good question...why are you riding the lift down the mountain?Cause I didn't want to ride on a trail with 2000 people and cigarette buts raning down on me... The mountain was open to the bottom today... We actually poached it yesterday - it was totally ridable - they just had to fill in some water bars..

Hey man I've never said a word about hunter. I was actually planning on heading up there on friday, dont be so hateful.

But really, why were you riding the lift down?

They only had the top 1/2 of the mountain open, and were blowing on the bottom half. Since they were blowing, and didn't have enough cover, they didn't want people to ski down. So you had to download. downloading usually only happens very early or very late in the season, or out at Mt. Hood.

Thought you could take it... I guess I was wrong..

Cause like I once said... You the type of person that can NEVER be wrong.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He has that, aforementioned effect on bazillions of posters at various message boards. No worries, no biggies!! Future reference..... 999 is a very personable, friendly and helpful, albeit he seems a bit aloof on the slopes the 2 times I have met him. I think he is one of those real sensitive types who likes to appear to be a big tough guy :)

EDIT: PS, I'm sorry I made you stew over this for so long. I'm truly sorry my opinion and experiences had this much effect on you.

You do have your ways ... :yes;)

im deffenltly headed up to belleayre on saterday. and so is ske freek!! and possibly gurp.

Strong possibility we will be there for the rail jam on Saturday. I heard some whispers of places south of us opening. I need to check it out.

Edited by Papasteeze

I've either worked, volunteered, or been part-owner of four ski areas. I have written a ski column for the largest newspaper chain in the world, in which I reviewed ski areas in the Northeast. I do NOT claim to be a great skier, especially since I'm often surrounded by people who are just flat out better than me---like yesterday, for instance. On the one hand, I'm humbled by great skiers--especially great racers--; and, on the other, I get the most enjoyment out of watching them.

As with most people, I could live anywhere I want. This is America, after all. And I chose to live in the Poconos, where I can find enough steep headwalls, some empty weekday and night slopes, and be close enough to some surfable waves when a lower pressure system wanders by.

But I really can't be bullied into liking someplace that is filled with bullies, rude people, and drunks. Sure, I've only been to Hunter 150 days or so, with most of it spent on greens and blues trying to earn $5 tips, but my opinion of the place is something I freely share with anyone that asks. I don't feel compelled to lie about Hunter to protect the bars and restaurants from lost business. If Hunter wants to morph into a family destination, then I suggest they crack down on the drunks instead of trying to shut up people with honest opinions.

Lastly, I love skiing the Catskills. Before buying property in Wyoming, we seriously considered a farm house not far from Ski Plattekill, outside Roxbury.

Here's the lead review of Hunter on Epinions.com...

"I?ll admit it, I?m not a city boy even though I live in Boston. I grew up in the Catskills, went to college in northeastern Vermont and lived in Maine for two years before I started living outside of Boston. I hate crowded areas and places that remind me of cities. I prefer a quiet and laid-back resort and vacation destination.

Hunter is everything I don?t like in a resort. Because of its proximity to NYC and the rest of the metro-region, it is always packed on weekends. Most of the people at Hunter Mountain are from the city, Long Island or New Jersey. Nothing against any of these people, but when you take them all out of the city and stick them all on a mountain, it?s like being in the city again, just on the slopes.

The trails can be incredibly crowded to the point of not even wanting to bother skiing or snowboarding because you?re more likely to hit someone than get down the trail and have a good time.

There are a lot of people with a lot of attitude on this mountain. I go to a mountain to ski, not to get into a fight or a dispute with someone.

Drinking and partying are as much a part of the ?Hunter Scene? as skiing is. At night, Hunter Mountain and the village of Hunter turn into a big party. We used to joke growing up nearby that it was just a bunch of drunk and coked out folks out there every Saturday night. It was so bad at times that just driving through the village of Hunter was a challenge, drunk and high people wandering the streets and running in front of cars.

Hunter has tried to clean up its image, but it is still more of a party place than a ski place. People go to Hunter to have a good time, a really good time and that includes the nightlife. Between Hunter and Tannersville, bars and pubs probably outnumber all of the other businesses combined (well that may be a slight exaggeration).

Hunter is not a family destination ? it?s for young people looking for some good skiing and some good times after the slopes. Looking for a family resort, head over to Ski Windham, which is much more of a family friendly ski resort in the Catskills. If you want a truly relaxing and enjoyable ski experience (for families, single skiers, or groups of friends), considering heading over to Bellayre Mountain, a state owned ski area further southwest in the Catskills.

Even though it?s only 20 minutes or so from my folks, I almost never ski at Hunter, unless I?m around during the week when the crowds are smaller and the attitude is significantly tuned down."

nice!!! another crapy intermediate blasting a hill he can't ski on E-opinions....

Thank god.... Keeps them off the expert terrain... :)

Ski999.... I've said all I need to say - I've disproved your gross missguided accusations and proven my point with pictures and others first hand opinions... From you very own following...

I really don't want you to waste anymore of your time trying to prove me wrong - I'm sure your a very busy person... Cause - you can't dsipute the evidence...

:)

The fact is... Hunter is changing from the days when you worked there... And people like you were probably the catylist of change... So I thank you...

he was talking about jim g

Hey, how did I become part of this?

I've either worked, volunteered, or been part-owner of four ski areas. I have written a ski column for the largest newspaper chain in the world, in which I reviewed ski areas in the Northeast. I do NOT claim to be a great skier, especially since I'm often surrounded by people who are just flat out better than me---like yesterday, for instance. On the one hand, I'm humbled by great skiers--especially great racers--; and, on the other, I get the most enjoyment out of watching them.

As with most people, I could live anywhere I want. This is America, after all. And I chose to live in the Poconos, where I can find enough steep headwalls, some empty weekday and night slopes, and be close enough to some surfable waves when a lower pressure system wanders by.

But I really can't be bullied into liking someplace that is filled with bullies, rude people, and drunks. Sure, I've only been to Hunter 150 days or so, with most of it spent on greens and blues trying to earn $5 tips, but my opinion of the place is something I freely share with anyone that asks. I don't feel compelled to lie about Hunter to protect the bars and restaurants from lost business. If Hunter wants to morph into a family destination, then I suggest they crack down on the drunks instead of trying to shut up people with honest opinions.

Lastly, I love skiing the Catskills. Before buying property in Wyoming, we seriously considered a farm house not far from Ski Plattekill, outside Roxbury.

Here's the lead review of Hunter on Epinions.com...

"I?ll admit it, I?m not a city boy even though I live in Boston. I grew up in the Catskills, went to college in northeastern Vermont and lived in Maine for two years before I started living outside of Boston. I hate crowded areas and places that remind me of cities. I prefer a quiet and laid-back resort and vacation destination.

Hunter is everything I don?t like in a resort. Because of its proximity to NYC and the rest of the metro-region, it is always packed on weekends. Most of the people at Hunter Mountain are from the city, Long Island or New Jersey. Nothing against any of these people, but when you take them all out of the city and stick them all on a mountain, it?s like being in the city again, just on the slopes.

The trails can be incredibly crowded to the point of not even wanting to bother skiing or snowboarding because you?re more likely to hit someone than get down the trail and have a good time.

There are a lot of people with a lot of attitude on this mountain. I go to a mountain to ski, not to get into a fight or a dispute with someone.

Drinking and partying are as much a part of the ?Hunter Scene? as skiing is. At night, Hunter Mountain and the village of Hunter turn into a big party. We used to joke growing up nearby that it was just a bunch of drunk and coked out folks out there every Saturday night. It was so bad at times that just driving through the village of Hunter was a challenge, drunk and high people wandering the streets and running in front of cars.

Hunter has tried to clean up its image, but it is still more of a party place than a ski place. People go to Hunter to have a good time, a really good time and that includes the nightlife. Between Hunter and Tannersville, bars and pubs probably outnumber all of the other businesses combined (well that may be a slight exaggeration).

Hunter is not a family destination ? it?s for young people looking for some good skiing and some good times after the slopes. Looking for a family resort, head over to Ski Windham, which is much more of a family friendly ski resort in the Catskills. If you want a truly relaxing and enjoyable ski experience (for families, single skiers, or groups of friends), considering heading over to Bellayre Mountain, a state owned ski area further southwest in the Catskills.

Even though it?s only 20 minutes or so from my folks, I almost never ski at Hunter, unless I?m around during the week when the crowds are smaller and the attitude is significantly tuned down."

Oh, now I remember how I got involved. Sorry you had some bad experiences at Hunter; I've been a regular there for over 20 years and I've never had any of the bad experiences you have had, at least not more so than at any other ski resort. I've got 3 kids who ski there, and I'm perfectly comfortable letting them ski where they want to.

I don't remember discussing you more than a minute with dmc on Saturday, but you have to admit that the pics pretty much destroy the image you gave of a resort that's too crowded.

I'm often surrounded by people who are just flat out better than me---like yesterday, for instance. On the one hand, I'm humbled by great skiers--especially great racers--; and, on the other, I get the most enjoyment out of watching them.

HEY!!! THATS my job!!! I am number one gaper!!! - I get more enjoyment watching others than you do! :rock

First impressions are lasting ones. My first day at Hunter end of season last year, I had a run in with a boarder jumping out on slope in front of me. Call it coincidence, but I have skied alot of places and had a lot of close calls, but I have never ever been "called out" quite like that.

I would like to see Hunter again... but that whole image of a guy on his knees screaming expletives because he didn't look up the hill before entering out on it is burned into my memory of that day makes me think twice.

nice!!! another crapy intermediate blasting a hill he can't ski on E-opinions....

Thank god.... Keeps them off the expert terrain... :)

Ski999.... I've said all I need to say - I've disproved your gross missguided accusations and proven my point with pictures and others first hand opinions... From you very own following...

I really don't want you to waste anymore of your time trying to prove me wrong - I'm sure your a very busy person... Cause - you can't dsipute the evidence...

:)

The fact is... Hunter is changing from the days when you worked there... And people like you were probably the catylist of change... So I thank you...

People that don't like Hunter are crappy skiers, eh? Yeah, you're probably right. I sure can't imagine ever reaching your level of skiing. I've seen you arc some pretty gnarly turns.

EDIT: I almost forgot...any chance you'll be at KMart 4/1 for the BMMC?

Edited by ski999

EDIT: I almost forgot...any chance you'll be at KMart 4/1 for the BMMC?

Why - do you want to beat me up? ;)

Seriously... Thats a primo Tuckerman Ravine weekend...

But my Hunter friends will be there...

I dont believe he wants to fight you, cuz a reason he hates Hunter is the fights. So i would guess that he wouldnt want to throw rights with you.

Your funny... Cuz I put a wink icon next to that statement and preceeded the next statement with the word seriously..

Why - do you want to beat me up? ;)

Seriously... Thats a primo Tuckerman Ravine weekend...

But my Hunter friends will be there...

It would never have even crossed my mind to fight you...I don't even get if that was really a joke...fighting over what? Papasteeze and I disagree over just about everything, but I still get hugs from his kids.

No, it's just that as a crappy intermediate I thought maybe it'd be fun to go head to head with you at the BMMC.

I was just looking for something fun that the PASR kids might get a kick out of and I'm an old, rusty bumper.

Isn't 4/1 a little early for Tuckermans? I'm thinking of hitting Tuckermans and Huntington in May.

I start hitting Tuckermans in March - been there in February before...

I use a splitboard to get to the ravine and have avalanche skills and equipment ...

It would never have even crossed my mind to fight you...I don't even get if that was really a joke...fighting over what? Papasteeze and I disagree over just about everything, but I still get hugs from his kids.

No, it's just that as a crappy intermediate I thought maybe it'd be fun to go head to head with you at the BMMC.

I was just looking for something fun that the PASR kids might get a kick out of and I'm an old, rusty bumper.

I was seriously joking...

I have no interest in proving my skillz against yours... I'd personally rather be at Tuckerman Ravine that weekend testing my skillz against a mountain...

I have no interest in proving my skillz against yours... I'd personally rather be at Tuckerman Ravine that weekend testing my skillz against a mountain...

Yeah, I know you just like to call out teenagers. Well, if you change your mind, ASRA is coming to Hunter Jan. 29th. Racing's not my forte (I'm just a gatekeeper/aspiring learner), but it sure would be fun to try and slap you down on a GS course in your backyard...

But nevermind...I'm not a 15 year old kid.... ;)

Good luck in your mission of hunting down people on the internet that don't like Hunter :rock

I start hitting Tuckermans in March - been there in February before...

I use a splitboard to get to the ravine and have avalanche skills and equipment ...

I was seriously joking...

Well then stop trying to prove your point. As you have seen your not gonna win the fight with 999. I am with him on this one, but if you want to save yourself some time , just quit.