You know things are bad when...

Ski

It's the beginning of XMas week and you go to visit the web site and you get this message:

"skimontage.com

RENEW THIS DOMAIN

*Once a domain name has been renewed, it may take up to 48 hours to be reactivated.

This domain name expired on 12/17/2005 and is pending renewal or deletion."

It's the beginning of XMas week and you go to visit the web site and you get this message:

"skimontage.com

RENEW THIS DOMAIN

*Once a domain name has been renewed, it may take up to 48 hours to be reactivated.

This domain name expired on 12/17/2005 and is pending renewal or deletion."

Lackawana County is going further and further down the tubes financially. Can it be saved?

Montage seems destined for private ownership. The problem is that the county politicians are, well, politicians and their idea of a great marketing move is to spend tens of thousands of dollars to advertise the place for $5 million more than it's value...

It's such a great place...friendly people from the two main shuttle drivers to most of the lifties...but the idiots that run Lackawanna County could very well blow a chance for a good company to take it over.

Why not just hand the keys to Snow Time, Inc.? Look what they've done to Roundtop and Windham...freakin' Windham is an upscale, amazingly well run ski area with terrific managed growth. Lackawanna instead has chosen to be greedy and demand way too much in the short term, wherin Snow Time would create triple the current jobs and fix all the things that people have mentioned in prior posts.

Pfffftttt...

They must've renewed it, or got things back in order. It's working at 6:45 on 12/23 - Volklyokel

Still not up here...either you have a cached version, or it hasn't made it's way through all the servers.

Do you really think private ownership would help ski? The only improvements I would like to see would be more trails and a high speed quad. I really love Montage and the last thing I would like to see happen to it would to turn into something like Camelback.

I was reading an article about Catamount (on the NY/Mass border) where the old guy that owns it said they are installing it's first new quad next season, but they would only run it at low speed. They take pride in empty slopes and having to wait a little in a lift line.

If I trusted Lackawanna to keep Montage open and not just have it break down and eventually end up on the Lost Ski Area list, then status quo would be fine. But there's zero tolerance for money losing seasons and the politicians aren't bright enough to actually pull off a sale.

My first choice would be to keep everything exactly the same.

I may just be a little paranoid about them shutting down in the next couple of years, but I've been involved at least to some extent with three ski areas that are now gone: Belle Mountain, Hogback, and Mt. Tom.

aside from the website...montage is doing much better this year from our point of view. White lightning,smoke,and boomer are all open. The park is being stepped up and should be open for tomorrow. The jumps are twice the size of the ones last year.

Yeah, for sure there's no real complaints about opening date or terrain...they've always seemed to be in a little slow motion compared some Pocono areas, so that's no big deal. But I wonder what ever happened with the $1 million they needed to repair the pipes on the left side and to do needed upgrades/repairs on the lifts?

Oh, and btw, Schif, you asked about the snow? Here's the top of Phoebe at 11am today (actually, I'm guessing they'd just brought a groomer up and over toward WL, but it was funny to see the corduroy):

Edited by ski999

ya lighning is nice on the right side me and my friends were building up some mogules tonight and theres 2 little cliffs down kinda by the bottom to theres one in the open and theres one in the woods a little..but ya skitzo tomarrow will be crazy the park is opening and i must say the last table has a huge lip but its not very long..and the first jump is a connection jump so i can transfer but i doubt many people will be doing it and the rails and boxes are spead all ofer spike so spike is actually the whole park and not just like a little section of it.

its quite lame that the park wasnt open. i was very tempted to poach, but due to the lack of crowds, it would have been suicide. ill be there on monday with everyone who got new gear for christmas, and itll be a pretty big group. im pumped again.

today was great. we did laps on north face for 6 hours straight, a new best for me. conditions were great on smoke, boomer, lightning, and cannonball. we got some little basic footage, and im not sure when its going up. i saw nick and probably montage skier too, but i really dont know who montage skier is.

monday will be fantastic.

i saw nick and probably montage skier too, but i really dont know who montage skier is.

Ya I saw you to, I was with Nick. I had on the green jacket and pants. I was watching you go down Boomer and I really liked the way you turn.

I was also thinking about poaching the park, but then when we got to the top two guys in the john deere gator were drivning through the park. So we didnt do it. But the park looks really nice. might get the first on fixed and put them t

Also the flat box was recalled, so they are having a new one shipped out, and the guy said they might get the first on fixed and put them together and it will be 48" long. But the park looks like it has a great flow going on, because park crew was hitting all of the shit today and seeing what they needed to fix and what not.

Edited by montageskier

alright nice, maybe ill see you up there on monday, and thank you, man, haha.

my friends werent keen on getting clipped on the second run of the day so we didnt do it either. then, we hit the north face and never looked back. spike being closed made switch like a black hole. you need to make that turn just so to make the double transverse to cannonball.

the park looked so nice and, of course, closed. what a tease...