Ski Racks

lastduchess113

I'm trying to put ski racks on my car, cause it's starting to get really annoying to have to fold down my back seat every time I want to ski. My brother got me these sortof ghetto racks for Christmas (at least he tried) and when we put them on, they whistled till we hit about 55 mph, and then after that the noise from the wind resistance was absolutely deafening. Anybody have any suggestions on anything that I can get that isn't going to cost me a fortune?

so youre cruising down the highway on the way to an exciting day at the mountains. the details differ, but the punchline is your setup releases off the beloved roof rack and, of course, gets smacked by traffic and destroyed.

Edited by skitzo

For a full thule setup on about any car you're looking at 200 bucks. The doors are probably what is causing the whistling. If you don't feel like dropping the cash for a thule set, you can hope that eventually the rack and your doors will settle together and set closer to flush.

I feel your pain on this... I just got my rack for christmas, and its a much better situation. I was getting sick of having to drive my plastered friends home from the bar with one of them sitting on top of my skis since they sat where one of my seats was.

ps- also try getting a wind guard that goes from your windshield up to the front of your rack... that takes away from some of the wind noise

Edited by Metz the Jersey boy

I'm trying to put ski racks on my car, cause it's starting to get really annoying to have to fold down my back seat every time I want to ski. My brother got me these sortof ghetto racks for Christmas (at least he tried) and when we put them on, they whistled till we hit about 55 mph, and then after that the noise from the wind resistance was absolutely deafening. Anybody have any suggestions on anything that I can get that isn't going to cost me a fortune?

What make and model car? Does it have factory racks?

ya i own a volvo s60 my dad gave it to me for my 1st car soo i got these factory racks from volvo that says it will fit 4 boards so i went the 1st time with 4 people and te put 4 boards on fine and then then next time i think it was about 10 degrees colder and i put the boards on and b4 i put presure on the sun roof so i was just doing it like i did last time and i ended up breaking the glass on the sunroof... it really sucked i took the car to volvo and they took 7 hours cleaning out the glass (it didnt get in my car because i had the sun glare thing up) it went down the rafters so in encluding my glass it was 1000 to get fixed... i was very pissed that day. so i wish they made it a little higher so i can fit 4 boards with out breking the damn glass !!!

It's a 2001 Saturn L200. Not exactly the prime target for skiers, so they don't waste their time with factory racks. Be a lot cheaper if they did though.

Go with Thule, I'm sure they have a good set up for all the saturns. Since they are pretty common cars. I bought a pair back in the 90's and they lasted about 8 years, and were used on 5 different SUV's. I should have replaced some of the parts. Because I didin't I had to break them off of my last SUV.

if you are going for a full rack setup, get a yakima. they are easier to set up than thule stuff is. also, since the roofline of your car is curved, and yakima uses a round bar, your front ski rack wont be at a different angle than the back ski rack, as it would with a thule system. prices for the two are just about the same. if you plan on carrying snowboards or have skis that have lifters under the bindings, get the yakima lift ticket 6. it has a lift built into it so you dont encounter the same sunroof incident that was mentioned above.

on my moms suburban we ahve the yakima bars that go across the roof and and very sturdy the we ahve a thule ski rack on of the things that is like a coffin

and can fit like 2 boards, 2 adult skis, and 1 little kids set, a snow skate , ski poles , carappy plastic board and a suit case

the yakima is very study

you can adust the bars by sliding the left or right and the whole thing forward and back and basiclaly clamps on to ur stock rack tha runns parralell wit the length of the car

• 7 months later...

i need help putting mine on. but nestors and genysis are closed. so i cant get help. id like to do it tonight

i have this rack

http://www.tramdock.com/tramdock/THU0045/T...-Foot-Pack.html

and i have rain gutts. i popped the gutter cover off and theres nothing to hook it to.

so how do i hook up my rack? its a 2dr hatchback.

Edited by Shadows

I used to have a mad steezy Thule Rack for my old Jetta..I never even took it off in the spring because it sucked to install...keep in mind that a ski rack cuts into your gas mileage...not a ton..but definitely a noticeable amount.

Yeah, i'm getting a thule for my jetta. It was made for my car specifically, so i'm getting it. I never really thought about gas mileage.......fuck

its kinda ghetto, but either sportrack or barrecrafters makes a window mount ski rack that will hold 2 pairs, you roll your window down, put the clamp part over the top of the window, roll them up, and then suction cup the bottom part on, and then their are rubber straps that hold the skis on. not nearly as secure as a roof mount though.