Results from Elk's J4/5????

Ski

Chance was consistent and looked great. I believe his scores should move him to first in his world cups point score. I believe Chance made it through the Derbies last year and onto the next level, so watch for some continued great races from him, post season!! Chance has 2 older brothers? Does anyone know?

Ridge placed 20th. I heard a cb coach later tell him that he needs to make slalom turns not GS turns. Ridge said no one ever told him that <_< . On sunday the Cat team trained Slalom. Question: While I think it is great that they trained slalom yesterday, (for Ridges sake) why wouldn't the J4's work on GS in preparation for the GS race at BLue next weekend.

they trained SL b.c the J1/2s have a SL next weekend that is a PA cup race. they didn't have enough coaches to run two sets of gates and he could have trained GS on Nastar most likely

Oh ok.. that sort of makes sense.. Great for Ridge who can really use some focused training in SL....

BTW - don't let it be known too much that Nastar can be used for GS training at the USSA level.... shhhhhhh there are certain zealots here that degrade the Nastar program. shhhhhhhhh ;)

Question: While I think it is great that they trained slalom yesterday, (for Ridges sake) why wouldn't the J4's work on GS in preparation for the GS race at BLue next weekend.

If you look at a Slalom turn, and a GS turn, they are technically skied the same. Slalom turns everything must happen quicker, thats all.

I often question why we are training SL or GS when we have a race coming up that is the oposite. The problem is there is only so many resorces...Trail space, gates, coaches.

Also IMO more of a focus is put on GS racing, with more early season training being GS oriented. Hes not oging ot learn how to ski for a race the weekend before it, but over his whole career.

BTW - don't let it be known too much that Nastar can be used for GS training at the USSA level.... shhhhhhh there are certain zealots here that degrade the Nastar program. shhhhhhhhh ;)

Nastar will help my GS racing just as much as free skiing, bumps or glade skiing will. It all helps, and its good if you can ski it all. But the way Nastar courses are set is so everyone can ski them. The way USSA courses are set up is that you must know what your doing to be able to get a good time on them.

Ridge said no one ever told him that dry.gif

Uhh are you/is he for real? or was that sarcastic? Cause if he actully ment that, then I'm going to beat him (as I have told him like 293 times that he needs to work on SL turns)

If you look at a Slalom turn, and a GS turn, they are technically skied the same.

Uhh are you/is he for real? or was that sarcastic? Cause if he actully ment that, then I'm going to beat him (as I have told him like 293 times that he needs to work on SL turns)

So which is it..

I tend to concur with Keith and Ridge - First Keith is right SL turns are different and second, John, who is Ridges Primary coach, that Ridge hadn't heard what Keith told him before.

No biggie, I am learning every week and if a kid needs to work on something specific, then you need specific training. We will get some of that in Breck :yes

I often question why we are training SL or GS when we have a race coming up that is the oposite. The problem is there is only so many resorces...Trail space, gates, coaches.

I understand and I am considerate of that, unlike some brainwashed racing zealots who don't don't think you should ever question anyone and who are stuck in mediocrity..

If you look at a Slalom turn, and a GS turn, they are technically skied the same. Slalom turns everything must happen quicker, thats all.

That's exactly right, 'Dude.

I understand and I am considerate of that, unlike some brainwashed racing zealots who don't don't think you should ever question anyone and who are stuck in mediocrity..

I suppose your balls are too small to actually say who you mean. You know next to ZERO about ski racing and yet you trash people like that?

Chance was consistent and looked great. I believe his scores should move him to first in his world cups point score. I believe Chance made it through the Derbies last year and onto the next level, so watch for some continued great races from him, post season!! Chance has 2 older brothers? Does anyone know?

Chance has two older brothers who were on the team when Siblet was. They were definitely among the top scorers on the team while she was there, despite a lack of discipline, etc. Mike still seems to be racing this year and doing fairly well. I have not seen race results for BJ this year. Mike and BJ are both active in other sports and I think skiing was not their main focus.

Football was the #1 sport for both. And they'd come into the ski season beaten all to h*ll because of it---both were linebackers. Mike, in fact, had a near-crippling broken leg his senior year and missed most of the football season. And I'm pretty sure they were at football camps rather than summer race camps...both are just superb all-around athletes.

I suppose your balls are too small to actually say who you mean. You know next to ZERO about ski racing and yet you trash people like that?

Unlike you, I won't stoop to a personal level like that. My comment was a generality (a stereotype)- just like your comment, (perfect example) that it is full of negativity, non communication, and elitest upper echelon, "you are not allowed in here" that I am consistently subjected to as feeling unwelcomed.

I am consistently subjected to as feeling unwelcomed.

I have gone out of my way to offer volumes of helpful information to you, not as an expert, but as a parent who has been through it, only to have you discard it and attack me and the USSA coaches. Then you always stop and cry.

Boo hoo.

only to have you discard it and attack me and the USSA coaches.

If that is how you feel - I am sorry. But please, show me one string where you offered helpful advice and I did dismissed it as bull - just one.

And while you are trying to find that advice, tell me who I should believe. The CAT team coach who says Ridge is using GS turns in Slalom OR here where the concensus seems to be that SL and GS turns are the same but tighter?

So which is it..

I tend to concur with Keith and Ridge - First Keith is right SL turns are different and second, John, who is Ridges Primary coach, that Ridge hadn't heard what Keith told him before.

Look at a picture of a SL turn and a GS turn. They are skied the same way technically, but one is faster. Which means if you can make sweet GS turns it DOES NOT mean you can just instantly make the speed faster, and make sweet SL turns. You still need to work at it.

Now I don't want to miss quote a head coach at Camelback (or a number of other coaches there) but they said something along the lines of 'sl and gs turns are the same, but in sl everything happenes quicker...'

Rob you are a complete fool if you think I never question Gus. Saturday morning when I rolled in at 730 I was questioning why we were training GS insted of SL, I question all the coaches on why we do certain drills if I cannot see the meaning of them. On sunday I was in what seemed like a shouting match with Gus on the bottom of raceway when I thought he did something wrong. (too bad I was wrong) :no

Do not call me a blind USSA Natzi or a brainwashed racing zealot, or anything like that ever again, until you know what really goes on. I have been at Camelback for the last 4 years, and I went from finishing almost every race in the last few places to Finishing in the top 1/3. I would call that improvment, which I got from training, and being coached from the coaches at Camelback, who have PROVEN that they know what they are doing.

If that is how you feel - I am sorry. But please, show me one string where you offered helpful advice and I did dismissed it as bull - just one.

And while you are trying to find that advice, tell me who I should believe. The CAT team coach who says Ridge is using GS turns in Slalom OR here where the concensus seems to be that SL and GS turns are the same but tighter?

Rob, I'm no USSA coach, but the fact of the matter is, slalom turns, in modern slalom racing ARE mini-gs turns...

The slalom ski tracks that we see today indicate to us that we have entered into a new era of ski racing. Slalom skiing has changed forever! The extensive side cut of short slalom skis produces tracks that look like small giant slalom tracks. The improved carving and balance benefits both ski racer and recreational skier alike. Skiers will most likely feel the greatest improvement on steep groomed slopes where even high caliber racers have difficulty avoiding skidded turns. These new skis will also give the gifted giant slalom skier who has difficulties with slalom a chance to improve in that event.

Taken from http://www.youcanski.com/en/coaching/short_story.htm

I think the austrians know how to do it :)

Rob, I'm no USSA coach, but the fact of the matter is, slalom turns, in modern slalom racing ARE mini-gs turns...

Taken from http://www.youcanski.com/en/coaching/short_story.htm

I think the austrians know how to do it :)

So hear I am ..... The general concensus is that I should be listening to the Camelback coaches, yet you guys preach something different.... So should I ignore you or the camelback caoches, because the information is contradictory.

So hear I am ..... The general concensus is that I should be listening to the Camelback coaches, yet you guys preach something different.... So should I ignore you or the camelback caoches, because the information is contradictory.

I think what the CB coaches are saying is correct, if I'm hearing it right. GS and SL turns are the same, but different. They both have the same mechanics, but the SL turn has to occur much quicker, and much faster edge to edge. Watch dude on his SL stix then on his GS stix. If you see his ruts int he snow, they edge presure on both, and the intiation is very similar, but the SL is much tigher, and much less time is spent having the ski flat. One can learn alot just by watching dude....

I think what the CB coaches are saying is correct, if I'm hearing it right. GS and SL turns are the same, but different. They both have the same mechanics, but the SL turn has to occur much quicker, and much faster edge to edge. Watch dude on his SL stix then on his GS stix. If you see his ruts int he snow, they edge presure on both, and the intiation is very similar, but the SL is much tigher, and much less time is spent having the ski flat. One can learn alot just by watching dude....

Ah yep.... one can learn that Skidude is very good at Gs and OK at SL

So you know --- no one has yet touched on the difference between a GS and a SL turn :nana:wiggle

It just really bums me out to read 'Dude feeling like he's gotta defend his skiing. Aside from Johnny, only recently has anyone on this MB even had a glimpse of being on the same planet as 'Dude. I know results mean everything to Adam, but his abilities have already surpassed all the top CAT racer guys that I used to see race every weekend. He also has class and character, which count a great deal and have always made him very easy to root for.

Ah yep.... one can learn that Skidude is very good at Gs and OK at SL

So you know --- no one has yet touched on the difference between a GS and a SL turn :nana:wiggle

Rob, you start to cross the line when you start putting down Adam. I take offense to that. Who are you to say he's OK at slalom? I'd like to see Ridge be as good as Adam when he's Adam's age. MOST kids are much better at GS then they are SL, it's just a fact. I only know a few kids that prefer SL to GS.