INFO ON FREE RIDE

beachiegirl2ski

is steven not doing the free ride tommorow? i was thinking baout singing up for it.

Yeah however, he will be hovering around between races - I am not formally signing him this weekend. We get there at 7:30 am -- he has a 50 second race in the morning and one 50 second race int he afternoon. out of 480 minutes he will be on the race course at least 2 of those minutes. the rest of the time will be spent with chilling in the park some practice turns and course inpsections..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"so, you're not trying to be a dick?"

Actually, Justo, Toast called them Gods...I was just goofing. I don't believe in Gods. So your problem really seems to come down to being jealous? It's cool that you admit it. And the general public gets p*ssed that slopes are sometimes closed? Oh, well, tough sh*t. People get p*ssed when parks are closed for youth soccer and little league baseball games. Some people are just selfish *ssholes and want to begrudge kids sports. I hear gripes every summer how some guy can't let his dog run around and poop because of the d*mn soccer players.

And Blue coaches take the race kids through the terrain park? Why not? Is it closed? Just throw a shovel at the littlest ones and make 'em build the lips back up.

And you've overheard a lot of racers wishing they could be freeriders? Sounds like a mutiny is brewing, eh? Might be the end of Blue's race team.

Think of it this way: if you have a little kid that can barely ski, which kind of program is going to build his all-around skills better? C'mon, be honest. Little devo kids aren't learning gates, they are learning to carve arced turns.

Hate and jealousy won't do any good, Justo. Just bow down and try to get along with them.

Edited by ski999

Hate and jealousy won't do any good, Justo. Just bow down and try to get along with them.

bow down and try to get along with them? they are the ones that have a problem getting along with us. i have no problem with them until they start talking behind our backs again. last weekend we were in the liftline with hoodies on that said" Blue Mountain Darkside Freeride Team. the coaches were all saying "Darkside? what the hell kind of program is that? who would put their kids in there? they probably stole that name from us. those wannabes." honestly, what 40+ year old mature man would say that? none. they need to grow up and deal with the fact that they arent the only "team" on the mountain anymore and that times have changes since the 1970s. putting people down behind their backs is not the way to earn respect from them. and as for not believing many of the racers want to ski park... then why do they all walk in every morning with a pair of race skis and a pair of twintips for when the race is over? not to mention that some of the kids on the team were once in the race program and left because they would rather do Freeriders.

Edited by toast21602

bow down and try to get along with them? they are the ones that have a problem getting along with us. i have no problem with them until they start talking behind our backs again. last weekend we were in the liftline with hoodies on that said" Blue Mountain Darkside Freeride Team. the coaches were all saying "Darkside? what the hell kind of program is that? who would put their kids in there? they probably stole that name from us. those wannabes." honestly, what 40+ year old mature man would say that? none. they need to grow up and deal with the fact that they arent the only "team" on the mountain anymore and that times have changes since the 1970s. putting people down behind their backs is not the way to earn respect from them. and as for not believing many of the racers want to ski park... then why do they all walk in every morning with a pair of race skis and a pair of twintips for when the race is over? not to mention that some of the kids on the team were once in the race program and left because they would rather do Freeriders.

Man, you and Justo have no sense of humor about this. Bow down as in to the Gods.

Toast, they are talking behind your backs AND wishing they were one of you? IDK, it just sounds like the same old crap that's been going on at summer camps, too. Racers, jibbers, boarders? What's new? It's soccer vs. football and baseball vs lacrosse and wrestling vs. basketball...no different.

If kids on one of my teams were trash talking other teams or other guys in a different sport, I'd slap it out of them. It's a waste of time and you only end up looking like an *sshole.

And if you have 70 kids on a team, I guarantee you'll have 10 kids wishing they were playing some other sport and another 5 that would be complaining about any team they were on. If Blue can build another program and offer a whole new alternative to racing, then GREAT. But don't take being given a hard time and being dissed by race coaches too personally; right or wrong, every new program has to earn respect. Six won't do it. One year won't do it. Blue needs to build it and demand respect----asking for respect is weak.

The gate setters at Blue are called the darkside racers or something like that and they were pissed about the free ride team stealing their name so one day a coach told their kidz to go ruin the park. That coach should be fired.

Yeah, that worthy of being fired. That's a pretty dumbass thing to do.

The gate setters at Blue are called the darkside racers or something like that and they were pissed about the free ride team stealing their name so one day a coach told their kidz to go ruin the park. That coach should be fired. What a horrible example.

that is one of the main reasons why there is so much hostility between both programs... especially since there was nothign done to him about how crude and tasteless his actions were.

I agree, I think being an all mountain skier/rider is so important..If you can handle all different types of conditions and terrain it just makes the sport even better. Tpday the racers were slicing and dicing through the park and going off the sides of all the jumps and railz...They were like locustz. :devil::banghead

yeah it was great that they were using the features the incorrect way and not the way that they are intended to be used.

First off, everyone just relax.

John and Justin, be glad. Be glad that you get to do your favorite thing at the mountain for free (less the cost of the season pass). You get to ride the park for free. Ski999 and I have to pay, and pay big just to do what we love. We have to pay $40-$45 for two stinkin race runs down little Tanglwood. Imagine if you had to pay $5 for two runs through the park, or $15 for unlimited everyday, like us racers do for NASTAR. Just be glad.

I'll agree, a lot of racers have a god complex, especially at blue, but then I get in front of them, and show them how it's done :P For ever now, they HAVE ruled the mountain, they can skip lines, they get their own trail, etc. Ski999 is right, you can't except respect after one year. One way to get respect is to have coaches that get respected. No offense to Skier150, but who is he? Really? I don't remember seeing him win any freestyle events, or compete in the Xgames. Look at Camelback's race team. One of Adam's coaches, Randy, who I met at Blue on day, came in 2nd at the race at CB against the best 15-19 year olds in the state. That's someone who I can respect. I can't respect a coach that I never see running the gates, because how do I know how good he is? You need credentials. Justin, your brother is someone I would respect as a coach, cause he wins stuff.

Though I think some of you park guys are a little sensative. I would be too, when you sit around for 5 minutes just to do one little trick, that must suck. I hate waiting 5 seconds for someone to get off the headwall. But you know what, the trail is open to EVERYONE. Why? Because it's free. If you want a closed trail, pay for it, racers do. Maybe when the DSFT gets to be as big as the race team, maybe you can close off sidewinder on weekend mornings, but for now, you can't expect anything, really. Just until a few years, all blue's team got was RACEWAY. Stinkin raceway. They built Razors Edge, specifcally for racing, and it was a much needed addition to the mountain for the race team. They now have the premier place to train and race eastern PA, at least.

I got yelled at one day by those p-rats, cause i flew threw the park like a racer, thinking i would destroy the park, but I can keep it steezier then most people that go tooling through the park. :)

First off, everyone just relax.

John and Justin, be glad. Be glad that you get to do your favorite thing at the mountain for free (less the cost of the season pass). You get to ride the park for free. Ski999 and I have to pay, and pay big just to do what we love. We have to pay $40-$45 for two stinkin race runs down little Tanglwood. Imagine if you had to pay $5 for two runs through the park, or $15 for unlimited everyday, like us racers do for NASTAR. Just be glad.

actually... competitions cost money too. USASA costs over $50 to join and then a cost for each individual event. Going to a different comp every week at different mountains and getting lift tickets at each place adds up too. its not just the racers that have to pay to enter stuff... but i see what you meant. you have to pay to ski gates. there arent gates set-up all over Blue like there are jumps and rails for us.

I can't respect a coach that I never see running the gates, because how do I know how good he is? You need credentials.

Dude - one of the most common sayings is those who cant, teach.... After all look at Ski999 :nana

Hey, but really, to beat on anyone who dedicates their time to teaching or coaching is.... I dunno, it's rude to that individual. These people are doing it for the love of the sport not for the money. Sure there are good coaches, bad coaches, great coaches.. I respect that you won't respect a coach who can't do the stuff they are teaching. That is your choice, but it seems to me that you think everyone should have that opinion.

and skier150 knows what he is doing. dont hate. dont turn into those racer guys that hate on the freeriders. like papasteeze said, some people are good teachers and might no be the best "doers". Chris is better than 90% of the people in the terrain park and knows what the hell he is doing. not to mention he is one of the most respectable instructors at Blue for dedicating his entire summer to getting this program started.

and skier150 knows what he is doing. dont hate. dont turn into those racer guys that hate on the freeriders. like papasteeze said, some people are good teachers and might no be the best "doers". Chris is better than 90% of the people in the terrain park and knows what the hell he is doing. not to mention he is one of the most respectable instructors at Blue for dedicating his entire summer to getting this program started.

No, I'm not hating on him, he's a nice guy. BUT, if he is a good coach, which i'm sure he is, who has he taught in previous years that has had success? To make the program REALLY legitimate, and get respected at Blue Mountain, the freeride team needs some serious talent, to say "i'm on the freeride team". Like if KT and Justin, and Ryan Miller were officially on the team, that would add some serious legitamcy to the program, to say those three are products of the program. Like when Ridge is a J1 and he's #1 in the universe, someone can say he's a product of the CB race team, which adds legitimacy to CB's program. This is such a new thing though, and it's hard, since no mountain around here it seems has attempted such a program, and I applaud Chris for that. But when there are 20+ members, then it starts to have some pull around the mountain. I never forsee the freeride team outsizing the race team, but i mean, it could happen.

Dude - one of the most common sayings is those who cant, teach.... After all look at Ski999

Actually, the best coaches are the one's that have raced or played whatever sport they end up coaching. It's just that so few do it and some of the superstars screw up as coaches because of their egos. Having true empathy for a kid that's about to push out onto a course is a coaching tool.

And, uh, Rob, pick a sport -ANY SPORT- and gather up a thousand bucks and let's go at it. How 'bout you go dig up that singlet at your mom's house. I bet I pin you in 12 seconds.

:D

Make that 8.

Okay, sorry, back on topic. Stupid racers...

its the first year for the program.. so there obviously arent products YET. why does everybody compare it to the success of the race program? i highly doubt that they started with 70 kids.

Blue will end up having so many kids that they'll have to turn them away. Word of mouth, or move it along faster and send a letter to the AD's of all the high schools and middle schools.

But you need a cheap alternative for the youngest kids, like the race programs development team. It sucks them into the program by giving them a "taste" of it...maybe 1/2 days on weekends. Just my 2 cents.

And, uh, Rob, pick a sport -ANY SPORT- and gather up a thousand bucks and let's go at it. How 'bout you go dig up that singlet at your mom's house. I bet I pin you in 12 seconds.

:D

you would have to go on a huge diet to get down to my weight class :wiggle or I would have to bulk up like a sumo wrestler to get into yours ;)

you would have to go on a huge diet to get down to my weight class :wiggle or I would have to bulk up like a sumo wrestler to get into yours ;)

So you insult people that are bigger and MUCH stronger than you, then wuss out 'cause you're a chainsmoking weakling?

You brought my name into this, Rob. Where are you headed? You know I don't like you, so why try and p*ss me off?

I know you've never heard this before, but listen: a big car does not equal big b*lls.

Out of respect for Greg, this is my final word on this, so flame away, Nicotine Boy.

can we try to keep on topic here and talk about Freeriders instead of who hates who? thanks.

YAY FOR FREERIDERS! The kids are learning quickly. its awesome

Ha, Toast, you mean it's back to the topic of how much you hate racers and their coaches? :D

Anyway...does Blue's website promote the program?

I saw that, but I meant if they did anything with daily pictures, or any 'what's new' sort of stuff. I don't see Blue's website very often. And even though that price is fair, I think it's prohibitive for trying to pull in newbies that will end up in the program for years. $420 (on top of a lift ticket) is a huge commitment into an unknown.

Dude - one of the most common sayings is those who cant, teach.... After all look at Ski999 :nana

So you insult people that are bigger and MUCH stronger than you, then wuss out 'cause you're a chainsmoking weakling?

the race team is just afraid, thats all. go talk to a bunch of race kids and ask them if they would rather race, or ride park, and a lot of them will say they would rather ride park, but their parents make them race.

Very true... I know...errr knew many kids on the race team who didn't like racing, but did it because there parents wanted them to. Now, all the older kids (14+ish) who race, mostly do it because they want to, and not because they 'have to'. With the younger kids most of them like it, but also want to be able to play around the mountain too.

And as much as you want to say that racing is stupid or w/e, as far as it sounds, everyone who did it at the BC PASR day last year had fun. I'm not saying everyone who had fun wanted to do it all day everyday, just like I think a run threw the park every now and then is fun, but I wouldn't want to do it all day everyday......

Skizo...you said something about being able to ski everything....thats also true. You are a great skier when you are able to ski all around (park, trails, bumps, race, glades, cliffs...)...Most races can do just about all of that, cept for maybe the park. Then again, I know a bunch of races who can throw down decent stuff in the park too.

I don't often see freestylers race, or even ski trails too much, but then again, I'm not really watching them, so I don't know whats going down.

bow down and try to get along with them? they are the ones that have a problem getting along with us. i have no problem with them until they start talking behind our backs again. last weekend we were in the liftline with hoodies on that said" Blue Mountain Darkside Freeride Team. the coaches were all saying "Darkside? what the hell kind of program is that? who would put their kids in there? they probably stole that name from us. those wannabes." honestly, what 40+ year old mature man would say that? none. they need to grow up and deal with the fact that they arent the only "team" on the mountain anymore and that times have changes since the 1970s. putting people down behind their backs is not the way to earn respect from them.

Are you hating on the coaches or the racers?

and as for not believing many of the racers want to ski park... then why do they all walk in every morning with a pair of race skis and a pair of twintips for when the race is over? not to mention that some of the kids on the team were once in the race program and left because they would rather do Freeriders.

Again I'll say that not every racer is against going in the park....Up at the PA cups lots of races took there warm up runs on twins, keeping there race skis tuned up ready for the race. I was even told by a coach at CB a few seasons ago that if I wanted to fun rock ski, go buy a pair of twin tips...That way you can go have fun and screw around on them.

If you have a team of 40 freestylers, and a team of 40 races, I bet you can find the same number of *ssholes on each...

i was hating 100% on the coaches. some of the coaches at Blue need to have respect for other people on the mountain and not think that it is only theirs and they can do waht they want. talking behind people's backs and telling your kids to go mess up the park on purpose is a little immature,arrogant, and rediculous in my opinion... and i think its time for them to grow up and realize that the race team is not the only thing going on at Blue anymore.