Looking to go somewhere in the poconos

tak

Ok, so march 17,18, and 19 my family is looking for a small ski trip to take somewhere and because we've been the to poconos before we decided it would be a good place to go back to (out west trip is next year :D). So anyways what are your guys' recommendations as far as the best mountains to go to? I would love to go to booter just so i can hang with doug and jeff but what other resorts will have decent skiing for the late season? Gimmie some input. excuse any sp mistakes

That sounds like a good time to ski at Elk.

i really wanna snowboard some somewhat backcountry terrain also(i realize im not gonna get 3 feet of powder), i know they have alot of trees in the poconos so are there many glade trails with a steep slope? :D

Edited by tak

As far as I'm aware the only place with "glades" is Jack Frost. I seriously doubt they would be open though. Elk is great for off piste skiing, but of course you can only get in there after some natural, which I seriously doubt you'll have late season. The odds of late season tree skiing are probobly not in your favor, but the snow on the trails will probobly still be pretty good.

there realy aren't many glades in the poconos but at elk if there is enough snow you can get imbetween doem nice tree areas between trails but i don't know how much snow would be in the trees in mid march but u never know with the winter we are having. Most of the glades are up north

i don't know if many ski areas in NY have any tree runs

but ur best vt feeling resort is elk mtn

blue blows alot of snow which i very nice

camelback gets extremly croeded on weekends but is a nice place overall for terrain

i know hunter doesn't have any not even little side trails

Hmm, well elk is sounding like a good choice right now but i'm not 100% sure yet. I'll be sure to let you guys know which of them i'm going to so if you want we can meet up.

if you are actually making plans for a ski trip in late march, i would not do it in the poconos. there's no guarantee that anything will be open that late - especially this year. new england would be much safer if you're making plans with your family. it's not as convenient, but it's less risky.

Ok, so march 17,18, and 19 my family is looking for a small ski trip to take somewhere and because we've been the to poconos before we decided it would be a good place to go back to (out west trip is next year :D). So anyways what are your guys' recommendations as far as the best mountains to go to? I would love to go to booter just so i can hang with doug and jeff but what other resorts will have decent skiing for the late season? Gimmie some input. excuse any sp mistakes

Umm if ur looking for a good park boulder pretty good but for freeriding its kinda suxs

You won't find anything like that in the poconos. The way this year is turning out, We'll be lucky to still be riding by then. Blue closed last year on March 26 or something like that, and last year was a cold winter. This winter has been terrible, So i wouldn't expect to much that late in the season.

Im going to Stowe, VT in 2 weeks, and they are only about 65% open because of this warm winter.. Im kinda bummed. Last year in VT, it snowed 4.5 feet the week i went. This year ill be riding ice, and slush. Anyway...

Elk is a really nice place, if the winter cooperates, Id say the best place in Pa.

i know hunter doesn't have any not even little side trails

yeah they do. you just have to know were to go. pm DMC on hear. he's a hunter local you can meat up with him and hill show you were to go.

and your best bet would be greek peak some cheep loging and i hear its a nice moutian. you can pm ski4food for more information.

Elk is the way to go if you want anything close to VT riding, but they don't have high speed quads and the lift lines get pretty long on the weekends :banghead . I would say go to Jack Frost, it's not just the mountain, but the whole Lake Harmony / Big Bass area has more to do and probably better for a vacation since it is more of a resort area then the others mentioned. don't go to Spring Mountain, not especially if you are talking about "glades" or steeps....

I love Blue though... :devil:

actually a guy at my the ski shop i work at was a hunter local all is life and talked about how a few days after a big storm when the powder was gone on the mountain they would hike to a brush fire tower? thing, and apparently there was some great like backcountry style skiing around it. i'm not sure, but there is some up there

OMG! looks like i'm actually going next weekend :D. my mom wants to go to wisp.... but i wanna go to the poconos. i'm going to try and talk her into one of these mountains. i'll be sure to let you guys know which i end up going to.

Im going to Stowe, VT in 2 weeks, and they are only about 65% open because of this warm winter

Nope :nono I am going to Stowe the same weekend as you and called this afternoon why most of the double diamonds and good shit was closed. The girl said because of the extremely high winds this week, everything got very wind swept and hard ice pack. She said they are grooming all trails possible, and told me within 2 weeks everything should be in good condition as long as the weather stays the way it is forecasted. So hopefully they get a couple of storms before then for top conditions, but who cares we will be in Vermont.

Nope :nono I am going to Stowe the same weekend as you and called this afternoon why most of the double diamonds and good shit was closed. The girl said because of the extremely high winds this week, everything got very wind swept and hard ice pack. She said they are grooming all trails possible, and told me within 2 weeks everything should be in good condition as long as the weather stays the way it is forecasted. So hopefully they get a couple of storms before then for top conditions, but who cares we will be in Vermont.

Aiight, Thats cool. Hopefully it dumps the week we go. I want some good tree riding :banghead