NextSnow National Competition

Papasteeze

he was 46th out of 155 made the cut and got to compete in the final 5 events for a total score of 9 events. It's awesome how well they treated these kids. It's really interesting that nearly all the finalists were skiers. watch some of those names at the top, you'll likely see them again in the future. Berkley Wilcox, Walter Woods and Cameron Schuster were standouts in my mind. Great personalities and unbelievably talented skiers.

isnt the pool of skier applicants larger? dont you think moguls and slalom favor skiers?

NOOOO!! at mountain creek qualifier for example, steven was one skier of 34 snowboarders. The ratio at the other 3 events was 4 or more riders to 1 skier. Peter Pape of Big Boulder PA scored a slalom time of 3 tenths a second behind steven on a board. He was scored accordingly. Each discipline was rated separately. for example the judges recognized that a 5 on a board is relatively equal to a seven on skis.

This event was judged entirely different than other competitions. There were a total of 9 scores added to gether for the finalists. Falls and sloppy landings didn't necesarily count against you. The comp wasn't that regimented. a sloppy corked seven was better than a steezy 5 with a grab for example. They were looking for all around snow experts. For example in stevens score, you'll notice that he was weak in the super pipe and the big mountain exhibition. (experience)

BTW - Billy Keil of Big Boulder who qualified at Shawnee because Nipples decided to represent whitetail instead made it to the 25th position and subsequently onto the NextSnow team. So while Steven was chosen over Billy in the qualifier, the judges at the nationals ranked him over steven.

a tragic truth of most contests

Yeah but in this contest they made it clear on how they were being judged, unlike other competitions

I'd like to know as well...

I really don't read this forum, but when I saw sib post, i knew it had to be good :rofl

The NextSnow all stars was a show for last years Nextsnow team (25) and this years super-qualifier winners (there were 3 of them with 4 winners each) to produce a one hour NBC TV show to be broadcasted before the opening of the Olympics. The nextsnow competition that steven was in is the regular annual competition.

On the sheet it had something about Vermont up there on the logo. Was this a regional competition?

I am not sure what sheet you are referring to - there were 3 superqualifiers for the Keystone event, I don't remember the 3 locations, one was in the west , mid west and one here in the east.. The annual NextSnow National competition was in Killington March 2-5th to name the 2006 team.

what was the wording? "stylish acrobats need not apply"?

yeah.. spinners and one footed sliders only!

It was a great competition. Take time to look at all the categories they were judged in. Steven did well in moguls, slopestyle, big air, slalom - so so in Big Mountain, Half-Pipe and carving..

those kids are going freakin huge... they are all like 10-12, seriously?

Most of them in that video are 12 and 13 - steven is 12 - he is no stranger to spinning at 50'

post-258-1142479622_thumb.jpgI metioned a pic of the nextsnow team - notice all the battle wounds and goggle tans. These guys and gal are the future..

Billy Keil of Big boulder is at the bottom right hand side. First time a PA kid has made the team

Trying to find another pic...

post-258-1142480009.jpg

Edited by Papasteeze

post-258-1142479622_thumb.jpgI metioned a pic of the nextsnow team - notice all the battle wounds and goggle tans. These guys and gal are the future..

Billy Keil of Big boulder is at the bottom right hand side. First time a PA kid has made the team

they all need haircuts.

freakin ruffians :rofl

• 3 weeks later...