Postcards from the Last Day....

Ski

The snow was falling from the ski pretty hard when we left the house around noon...since Ty was coming, I figured the last five hours in the season at Montage was about right. It was chilly, but not really cold; more like an early December day. But the sunny forecast was wrong and that was just fine. Mostly flurries, but sometimes we had heavy snow squalls. Conditions were good on the slopes they decided to maintain. Not many rocks and just the access area around the Phoebe Snow lift and down by the Shuttle lift made you cringe for your bases. We skied together for about three hours, then Ty headed inside with her mom, while I hit the North Face. White Lightning was pretty beaten; still bumped and uneven ruts. Canonball was great and Smoke was still the best it's been all season, with the goofy headwall moguls flattened. I did most laps on my favorite trail, Boomer, which was crusty and fast. My second to last lift ride up, I grabbed a chair with my friend, Jim, who is one of the NASTAR pacesetters. Jim one of the nicest guys you'll meet and skis a lot like former Swiss racer Michael Von Gruenigen....smoooooth....I did Boomer for my last run in a tuck, with no music; just the echo of my skis slicing snow into the woods to melt in the warmer days to come. And then the lifts stopped running.

Thanks guys...I miss it already and am psyched about any changes that might be coming.

BTW, skifreak, notice the GS:11 21m skis. In a forward position, they are an amazingly versatile and turny ski. In a back position, they simply scream.

And they were my closing day skis 'cause I went from skiing with the little one to hanging around Boomer and WL... :yes

Thanks guys...I miss it already and am psyched about any changes that might be coming.

BTW, skifreak, notice the GS:11 21m skis. In a forward position, they are an amazingly versatile and turny ski. In a back position, they simply scream.

And they were my closing day skis 'cause I went from skiing with the little one to hanging around Boomer and WL... :yes

Nice pics, i picked up on the 21's right away :)

Sort of lost me on this :confused . Do you mean adjusting the binding setting?

Atomic race bindings have from two to seven different positions (maybe more on some), depending on the model. The entire binding slides forward with one simple click at the toepiece for quicker turns; all the way back sets the ski up for longer arc turns.

Atomic race bindings have from two to seven different positions (maybe more on some), depending on the model. The entire binding slides forward with one simple click at the toepiece for quicker turns; all the way back sets the ski up for longer arc turns.

Oh....I have marker LT motion bindings. Do you have any idea if these have anything like that? I have to break out the book...I'm not to familiar w/ technical stuff on the settings.

Ok, Thanks...BTW, nice pics.

The best system I've seen, by far, is the Atomic RACE series (this includes the red or yellow race bindings, the green SX bindings...etc)...The RACE/SX 614 bindings have a DIN range of 6-14, but offer 5 varizone settings (5 different positions to place the binding...It moves the binding a running length of almost 1.5 inches, which is ALOT to move all your weight. The idea is great, and all you do to change your turn length is pop off your skis, move the lever over, slide the binding to where you want it, and lock it in. The new atomic neox offers a similar system, but much more restrictive and much harder to change.

As for other companies, I don't know if anyone else makes a moveable on the fly binding....