Big Air Comp in April

Guest jeenyus2690

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody who can spin a 9 shouldnt be with intermediate kids

Wait.... he has done them, but they are far and few between and only on very specific jumps. He throws sevens easily but doesn't cork consistently or cleanly. Soooooo... Do you think we can get Bear to draw the line that any thing over a seven or corked out is an expert, some sort of limit. Like a qualification? In other words. Certain jumps should not be counted in the intermeditate division. For the umpteenth time. Age groups and an Open division, the open division is where the prizes should be at.

Otherwise, I am not entering a 12 year old in an expert division. What if he throws clean 5's with a grab but the silly judging allows a hucked 7 to place in the intermediate, should he go ahead and try to spin that 9 on his second run?....

There needs to be a limit or some type of line drawn to differentiate between an intermediate and an expert. I saw way too many what I call sandbagging in the beginner division throwing 3's and 5's at the showdown event.

there arent going to be 7s thrown in the intermediate devision. Justo throws 5s on a regular basis but has never done anything more than a 7 (which isnt very often) he still goes in the expert division. if you are capable of doing 9's... it seems rediculous to be entering into intermediate... isnt he sponsored? you dont see sponsored atheletes participating in intermediate categories.

and if you are complaining about the "sandbagging in the beginner devision throwing 3s and 5s.... its pretty much the same as going into the intermediate devision when you can spin 7s and 9s.

So 7's are the where the line is drawn? Hey Mary, could you pass it on to announce at the comp that anyone throwing 7's or corking in the intermediate division will not be counted?

Steven will be happy to just to hang and do what he will. Matter of fact, in discussion with him, he would enter an Open division if there was one.

As far as sponsors.. Yeah, I sponsor him for travel, lodging, food, tickets, various gear. He gets skis replaced regularly, goggles and some customized clothing and gear at or below shop form pricing when needed.

papa enter nipples in expert and who cares what other people will go into, if people choose to go into intermediate then let them, were not gonna make "rules" for what tricks should go into what catagory... you know what catagory you should be in so enter there... and whoever asked i work @ bc

were not gonna make "rules" for what tricks should go into what catagory...

Could you tell me why no rules? .... there should be some type of division. The same way there are, what, 8 defined levels of proficiency for ski schools. I am trying to be helpful. I don't see it as a big deal to say that a certain number of revolutions should define the skill level. What is the big deal?

papa, i agree, the flaw is in the execution of the different categories. the problem is that there are no clearcut guidelines as to what makes someone a beginner, intermediate, expert, etc. with age classification, as you are also a proponent of, the classifications are much more straight forward. if we were going by your standards of a straight 7 being the best trick one can do in the intermediate category, i'd fall middle of the pack. what you arent considering is the execution of the trick itself. sure, lots of kids claim they can do 7s now. if you were at bear for their slopestyle, i think the difference between the novice and expert skier category was pretty clear. there were kids doing backflips, 5s, 7s, etc in the novice category, which, technically, are all difficult tricks. compare them to a 5 or 7 done by someone who was in the expert category and the trick will look very different. as unfortunate as it is that it's not reflected in most juding, style and control are a key aspect of any trick. your son has a combination of both technically ability and the control it takes to make a trick look smooth, which is what sets him above a lot of kids his age or even older. i may not be able to do a 9 like some kids, but there are a lot of kids who can do 9s but not get a grab through the whole rotation of their 5. it should be about the whole package, not just who can huck themselves off the lip for the most rotations.

Any rider or skiier should know where to enter based on their level. Then if the judges see some one that is obviously in the wrong division they either get DQ'd or their runs get counted in the proper division.

There should be no set trick to determine where you enter. I've been in contents where people in the intermediate were throwing corked 7s and the experts were doing 9s and 10s. I've also been in contests where the intermediates were just squeeking out 3s and 5s and the expert was won on a flat no grab 7.

it should be about the whole package, not just who can huck themselves off the lip for the most rotations.

I totally agree, that was what was so awesome about the NextSnow event in Killington..

Lots of categories.. http://www.nextxsnow.com/NextSnow_ZSpace/K...l_finalists.pdf

Unfortunatly I don't think our judges in our areas give the credit due for skills they should because most of our area doesn't recognize the things you and I and some others do...

SO... since it is what it is with the judging in our area then the event organizer should establish the criteria regardless whether it is age or what qualifies an intermediate or an expert..

there are lots of problems though papa, justo daid 1 that style is a big part, another is if a kid can do a 5 and he wants to try a 7 in the intermediate catagory what happens, is he DQ'ed because he "overrotated"... there are just to many if ands or buts to put certain tricks into certain ability levels, that is all im saying

The only jumps at Elk will be from you slush junkies making ruts into decent little kickers.

Actully I believe the term would be us little pressy douchbag racers or something like that. But for the most part, racers don't spend all that much time in the park on race day. And uhh a jump is a jump.

With that said, no complains if you would like to stay at BC rob...