OFFER MADE

Ski

Breaking News: Philly company submits Montage bid

1:30pm

By: Roger DuPuis II / Staff Writer

06/23/2006

A Philadelphia-based limited liability company has made a pitch to buy Montage Mountain from Lackawanna County for $4.1 million plus $14 million in upgrades to the facility -- a total of $18.1 million poured into the resort within five years.

In a letter of intent dated Wednesday, Sno Mountain LLC said it would add an $8 million water park to the resort along with enhanced ski facilities.

"With this investment, we expect to attract 160,000 unique ski visits between December and March and 250,000 unique water park visits between May and September," the firm wrote.

Failure to invest $18.1 million within five years would result in a default on the agreement, according to Sno Mountain's offer.

"This is only an offer. It is not a deal. It is not an agreement," majority commissioner Robert C. Cordaro said during a Friday afternoon press conference announcing the offer.

The next step will be a public hearing on the offer, tentatively slated for Wednesday evening at Montage. Representatives of Sno Mountain are expected to attend and talk more about their plans.

I'll be there Wednesday to do my part with a sign that says SELL IT NOW YOU ASSHEADS!

I will definetaly be there for it. Hopefully if this goes through, that the waterpark is all over more toward the concert area, becuase we dont need a fucking camelbeach.

Thats the nice part about Montage, they could put permanant slides over by the concerts, and never have to take away from the mountain. I really hope this sale goes well. Some better snowmaking and maybe a high speed quad would really turn the place around. Hopefully they've got better ad guys than the creators of Jimmy and Johnny. We might actually get tourists. :huh:

Okay, I just got done reading the newspaper and heres the newest stuff i could find.

Sno Mountain would be putting 6 million into ski operations, and 8 million into a waterpark. Out of the the 6 million we would be getting some okay stuff, not really what i wanted.

1.180 new snow guns and other snow making equipment

2. 2 new groomers

3. Lodge would be gutted and re done

4. Another lodge

5. Im hoping this was a typo but a 850,000$ tubing park. ( I hope tubing means terrain) Im gonna be finding this one if its a tubing park.

Also this is quoted from somebody at Sno Mountain LLC, " We would have 7 feet of snow down by december last year." So i guess these guys really want to emphize on snowmaking.

The article also said that they would be open for this ski season, and that the water park would open in 2007.

So, Whats everyones thoughts about this?

Edited by montageskier

Well, MS, I've always been happy with things the way they were. So any company that comes in and just spruces things up is an ideal new owner. I was watching a random video tape the other night that was of a CBS sitcom from a year or two ago and there was a promo for the local news...the teaser said "Lackawanna homeowners face 50% property tax increase as the county tries to balance the budget." Lackawanna residents are pretty fed up with footing the bill for bad decisions.

Even if the new company doesn't succeed, they'll have at least spent a bunch of their own money and spruced it up to be attractive to a higher quality resort owner. It's the same as buying an old house from the originally owner. Your chances of finding lots of hidden problems are pretty good, as opposed to buying it from someone that's just done some renovations but ran out of money.

Here's today's story at it appears online (Washo acts like such a pussy):

News that Lackawanna County has finally received an offer for Montage Mountain Ski Resort has done nothing to dampen the political intrigue surrounding the facility

havent you heard of the new X-TREME sport. Tubing terrain parks complete with kickers and jibs. :jk

I guess they mean some tubing lanes

Haha I was just talking to Sean about that..I told him its probably a tubing area with jumps.

See, thats the shit that pisses me off. Who the hell wants snow tubing. And what kind of snowtubing runs cost 850,000.

I agree.Montages snowtubing is already fun to begin with they dont need to improve that..they just probably need some new tubes and thats it.

Tubing pays bills and gives people like 4 More Assasins a place to work. Not all bad.

And f*ck it, if they say they can pump out seven feet by December, then they should be good for 60 feet by March...we really will be skiing next June. Sno Mountain LLC rocks!

Tubing pays bills and gives people like 4 More Assasins a place to work. Not all bad.

And f*ck it, if they say they can pump out seven feet by December, then they should be good for 60 feet by March...we really will be skiing next June. Sno Mountain LLC rocks!

Are you definetly going to the meeting? Because i have work and am sending nick and Wolverine21 to go and check it out, but i expect answers like he had a good idea, and nothing more. SO I will be looking for details.