Ski Mania Sale

Shadows

oh ok i dont know anything about waterproofing um i just got these 686 pants and how good of waterproofing is 10,000 mm? (these pants=amazing though.)

10,000 is ok. I had it this season, and still got wet every snow storm. But i wasnt soaked. 10,000 is bottom line of good in my opinion. Anything 20,000 and up is great.

10,000 is ok. I had it this season, and still got wet every snow storm. But i wasnt soaked. 10,000 is bottom line of good in my opinion. Anything 20,000 and up is great.

yea. alright makes sense a moi..ive had these volcom pants for like 2 seasons that i think were like 5,000 or something and i got pretty wet everytime it snowed..(which was like 4 times ugh. i'd rather be soaked with snow than dry and nothin. ugh.) so yea these'll be good enough. plus they have these super comfy liners hahaha :]

jea. all good in my book. what are you gonna use this year? waterproofing wise?

ps. sorry i changed the subject guys!

Edited by megan

do you get soaked

i've snowboaded in the rain and my jacket keeps me perfectly try...its almost like it has rain-ex on it...haha

haha ok i feel soo stupid asking all these dumb questions but oh well.... is there something you can spray on your jacket/pants/gloves/whatever to make them more waterproof? like silicon or something? haha im clueless

Edited by megan

what are you gonna use this year? waterproofing wise?

i'm getting a new jacket and pants and i was looking at gettings something around 10,000 waterproof. more would be nice but i'm sure it's more expensive and i have to save some money for a season pass

is there something you can spray on your jacket/pants/gloves/whatever to make them waterproof? like silicon or something? haha im clueless

my dad has something like that which he uses to spray on his hunting clothing. i think he got it from cabelas

Gore-Tex...

And if you have to wash you ski gear, use something like Nikwax, or something else thats specially made for washing waterproof gear. If you don't, your gonna wash your waterproofing stuff right off your gear.

Is the ski mania sale only at quakertown, or is it at whitehall to?

I always waterproofed gear with scotch guard. I'm not sure if they changed the breatability of the materials or not. Seems to work though. When things start lossing their water resistant nature, just spray some more on and you are set. Never tried nikwax or the like. Probobly the same or better than scotch guard. I'm going to guess it's more expensive also.

depends on the grade of the waterproofing, and how well it's taken care of. Goretex lasts for years. And i think it's rated at 70,000-80,000 mm.

There are many different grades of gore-tex, it's just a brand name for a range of fabrics with a waterproof breathable membrane. I don't think I've ever seen anyone claiming 70k+ waterproofing. The best fabrics seem to top out at around 30k.

Interestingly there is not one mention of this type of rating for any of the fabrics on the gore-tex site.

I saw on a different board awhile ago, someone said the gore-tex ratings were that high.

... all there products are that high? I find that hard to believe. I also find it hard to believe they are the only company with that kind of technology. I'm going to make a guess that gore-tex is among the typical "best in class" waterproof products. Not outrageously superior (100+% better). Feel free to prove me wrong.

back to the original topic, does nestors have a lot of cheap clearance skis/ ski packages? My dad is looking for some, he doesnt ski much but maybe 5 times a year... He's starting to get back into skiing and wants to get rid of his old 190's or something. Maybe he will get back to his old jackson hole days, which means could mean more ski trips for me...Anyway, I dont know much about skis, but he is 5'11, 195-200 lbs. What size ski should he use for just an all mountain, just cruising, gaper kinda skiing...any reccomendations on skis for him at a cheap price??

Edited by Oakley21

I've seen some pretty decent ski/binding packages there for a decent price. They are the lower end models though, which seems to be perfect for your dad. I think two years ago or so when I went they had a pair of Blizzards with Marker Bindings for around $270. That also included the binding mounting.

haha my dad just got last years volkl karmas...hes so stoked.. he was out this whole season with an acl tear too so hes as stoked to ski as i am (he skis park too... he cant wait for this season).. get your dad some cheap twins and get him in the park haha :) its actually pretty fun seshing with your dad lol

Edited by megan