Bear Creek 06-07

BC-Mark

Ok, now that we are in August and projects are well underway, I feel safe in announcing the changes for this coming season.

Lifts:

1) We have removed the triple chair and are installing a new fixed grip quad in its place.

2) We have removed the beginner double chair and are refurbishing and reinstalling the old triple in place of the beginner double.

Trails:

1) Timberline is being doubled in width to accomodate a dual race course.

2) We expanded the area to skiers left of the beginners carpet and created a new trail there to expand the beginner terrain.

3) We are closing the two mid-point entrances into Cascade and relocating the top entrance to provide a long steep roll in. The new entrance is just to skiers right of the top yurt under A-Lift. Cascade has been widened to an average width of 200'. We are moving the expert park to Cascade and it will include a new urban line complete with a 6' to 12' cliff drop and a huge tree bonk on an 80' Poplar.

4) We are closing all but the top entrance to the Black Bear Park and making it into an intermediate park. The jib garden to skiers left of the pipe will be expanded.

Terrain Park Features:

Andy is busy in the BC Iron Works creating a huge urban stair feature, a mobile adjustable pitch wall ride, a looonnnggg flat down box and a lot more new features to help showcase the new park set-up. We even have a Subaru donated by Becker Subaru that we are turning into a feature. The new website should be launched late next week and the terrain park section should be online shortly thereafter. We will be highlighting the new features on the site as Andy completes them.

Snowmaking:

Cascade, Upper Black Bear and Lower Black Bear, the new beginner trail (Teddy Bear) and Timberline will all receive new state of the art automated fan guns from SMI. We are also converting 12 existing wheel guns to tower mounted guns. All this will help us be more efficient and allow us to maximize every window of snowmaking temperatures we receive.

Racing:

We have hired former Olympian/US Ski Team Member AJ Kitt as the director of the race team. More information will be coming out in the next few weeks regarding the structure of the program and associated fees.

See everyone soon!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cliff drop will be located where the second entrance to Cascade used to be. There is a nice drop that we enhanced with the help of an excavator and a some big boulders. It will be the drop in for the urban line that will be located on skiers left of the new Cascade Park.

AJ will be here for Nastar pacesetting trials and will be on hand for at least one evening of Nastar. We will also be auctioning off a 3 hour private lesson with AJ and new race skis and bindings to help benefit Dan Brocious, our snowmaker that was injured in a car accident on July 2nd.

Nice. Maybe we'll even get Doug to BC this season.

Doubt it, if doug isn't averaging $5 per lift ticket he won't spring for the extra. Even if ticket was paid for, something tells me he would want gas money too.

OOOOOPS. Thanks for the update, we will be there and be there often! Any thoughts on the snow monster program?

Edited by Papasteeze

YES...this is easly the best news i have heard since last season when i heard bear was open for winter. I am so amazed at how much Bear is stepping it up this year(from the new info). It was set it self apart from all other Pocono resorts.The only thing i can see that would be better is park passes but hey we cant get everything we want.

THANK YOU BEAR CREEK!

3) huge tree bonk on an 80' Poplar.

Terrain Park Features:

a mobile adjustable pitch wall ride

We even have a Subaru donated by Becker Subaru that we are turning into a feature.

how huge is this tree bonk? you mean huge as in tall/high? or like a foot high redwood?

nice job on the wall ride though, its nice to have different angles to play around with.

and please, can we get away from these car jibs. i think theyre pretty pointless and never work out good (see, Boulder) the only way you can make a car jib work IMO is if you get a semi in there and make it a butter box. cars are too small and you cant slide it like a box/rail. UNLESS...you mean yourw building a box/rail on top of the car (like the smith limo) in which case, thats fuckin sweet.

Since there's no park pass...we can watch newbies jump off a manmade cliff and land face first into PA powder... :lol

...and crash into the Subaru. Bob and I usually go to BC in the morning or at night when it's nice and icy so watching the park crashes this year should be really fun.

The tree bonk is a poplar that is in the 60' to 80' range and the trunk is 3' to 4' in diameter. I think Andy is planning on building a vertical spine up to the trunk.

As for the Subaru, we are planning on putting a rail on top. The shape of the rain hasn't been determined yet but we will post pictures as soon as it is comlete.

Thanks for the positive feedback. We love what we do and we hope it shows.

As for increasing the vert, we are requesting all guests bring a bag of soil each visit and deposit it at the top of the mountain. In 50 or 60 years we should be set!

As for increasing the vert, we are requesting all guests bring a bag of soil each visit and deposit it at the top of the mountain. In 50 or 60 years we should be set!

I'd be careful...you might end up with a ton of unwanted dirt. Skiers and riders are sometimes a bit fanatical, especially when they are suffering from snow withdrawl. Thanks again for the updates. See you in December.

Eff all you people that ever dissed bear. It is and always will be the best freeking mountain in pennsylvania.

When i see bears park for the first time, im sure ill skeet my pants at all the new shiiaat

And eff blue mtn, Ive seen better mounds(jumps) on a 7th grade girls chest , than at blue

Eff all you people that ever dissed bear. It is and always will be the best freeking mountain in pennsylvania.

When i see bears park for the first time, im sure ill skeet my pants at all the new shiiaat

And eff blue mtn, Ive seen better mounds(jumps) on a 7th grade girls chest , than at blue

easy there killer...we're all friends here

damn dude you need to smoke a joint or do somethin to mellow the hell out man, may i reccommend listening to some Jazz it can really calm you down check out thelonious monk and john coltrane at carnegie hall very mellow stuff helps calm the soul

damn dude you need to smoke a joint or do somethin to mellow the hell out man, may i reccommend listening to some Jazz it can really calm you down check out thelonious monk and john coltrane at carnegie hall very mellow stuff helps calm the soul

noooo not jazz... i had to listen to that when i got an mri for like 45 minutes i thought i was gonna shoot myself

then again that was smooth jazz but whatever...

but yeah.. haha chill man, no one was hating on BC

noooo not jazz... i had to listen to that when i got an mri for like 45 minutes i thought i was gonna shoot myself

then again that was smooth jazz but whatever...

but yeah.. haha chill man, no one was hating on BC

I took sax lessons for years and played jazz. Most of the time when I listened to it I thought it was pretty boring. I knew the musicians were talented, and were doing some cool stuff but for the most part the music was a bit over my head.

Nowadays I LOVE listening to jazz. It takes time and listening to alot of music before you can appreciate it. If you don't dig on it, put it away for a couple years. I would recommend not writing it off totally though. There is some really great stuff you won't want to miss when you can really appreciate it. Brokeskier is right on the money too...

Coltrane, Thelonius Monk... I would add Miles Davis to the list for sure.

I took sax lessons for years and played jazz. Most of the time when I listened to it I thought it was pretty boring. I knew the musicians were talented, and were doing some cool stuff but for the most part the music was a bit over my head.

Nowadays I LOVE listening to jazz. It takes time and listening to alot of music before you can appreciate it. If you don't dig on it, put it away for a couple years. I would recommend not writing it off totally though. There is some really great stuff you won't want to miss when you can really appreciate it. Brokeskier is right on the money too...

Coltrane, Thelonius Monk... I would add Miles Davis to the list for sure.

yeah, dont get me wrong, the musicians are amazing.. my dad played the sax forever and was really good.. but he doesnt play anymore.. i listen to a TON of different types of music, i go to the school of rock where we play a lot of things other than rock (theres a folk show in september and im in a funk and reggae show in october.) but yeah, upbeat jazz is just fine.. i cant stand the slow stuff though :]

but anyway, back to the original topic of the thread... :]

The Subaru is a 1990 Legacy Sedan. I tried to get a Brat complete with the death seats in the bed but we couldn't round one up.

Dont try and put a flat down or anything with a kink on it. Mount a tall flat rail on it. Snow Trails in Ohio, had a Hummer with a flat rail on it. Mounted about 6 feet off of the hummer, and it looked sick. Putting a kink on it seems to be stupid.