Pa Parks?

sean270

Pocono park rats and jibbers all have the most to gain in the next couple of seasons. You can't change the vertical or do much about the acreage, but if you have a hill, a snowgun, and are willing to pop for some rails, then you can get kids stoked.

Tubing---freaking tubing---is the thing that had kept Montage in the black for the last few years. And I think it was Seth, from the CB board, asking if they could drag a picnic table up to the terrain park for jibbing.

I used to ski BB a lot at night when I was in Central Joisey. For skiing, BB makes Shawnee feel like Sugarbush. And rails are dirt cheap when compared to buying just one new snowmobile.

Ski hills around here will continue to give more and more space to parks, pipes, and tubing. You think CB hasn't looked into more "on site" tubing lanes? You think the CB Board of Directors don't drool over the idea of getting more non-skiers into the main lodge to $40 for a family lunch?

Because of insurance fears, ski area tend to make changes really slowly. But they've started to recognize that you can have different difficulty levels of parks, so I bet new "features" will start to pile up...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly. look at mountain creek, its a small mountain but they get all their business because they know what theyre doing with parks. see, trails are what are boring (freeriding) and thats why i think boulder is so much better because they put parks first. not like camelback when they put theyre trails first and thats why their parks are horrible

Thats because bb has no trails.

Camelback has trails, well maintained trails for the most part, that you can either take your time and cruse down, or rip down.

It all depends what you want. Personaly I love my "barney slalom" and getting chased by big old rangers. It adds a little excitement to my day ;)

Thats because bb has no trails.

Camelback has trails,  well maintained trails for the most part, that you can either take your time and cruse down, or rip down.

It all depends what you want.  Personaly I love my "barney slalom" and getting chased by big old rangers.  It adds a little excitement to my day ;)

or how about killing me? that was the closest call i've had on skis, besides the day w/ greg and ski999 when i mowed that girl down :wiggle

look at mountain creek

MC is the perfect example. Even pathological lying psychos like SnowSnow slimed his way around every MB on the planet telling everyone that MC "killed" every other ski area, including "lame ass" Jackson Hole.

It used to take 10 years to be a good intermediate skier...now with short, cut skis, people end up better and wanting more a lot sooner. I also think it's one of the reasons that NASTAR is growing so fast.

Sib is one of the few people that I know that's happy just plain old skiing every day.

Dood... she really was small....

Anyway, the whole "freeriding is boring" comment is just silly. Everyone has a preference, and most new skiers/riders are looking for trails, not parks (this is the market CB is going for). I like to hit the parks every now and again, when I'm trying to break an arm (atomic and ski999 will get that one), but overall I stay on the trails doing the "boring" freeriding. Like skidude said, it comes down to preference and doing what you like.

As long as you're having fun on the snow it doesn't matter... And yes, that does include Ski999's extra curricular activities after skiing.

I wasn't really aiming that first comment at you, but at NITRO_RIDER, he said that. And I don't think I will be... although if I am that probably means my ability level has increased to the point where I'd like it to be.

Yes, booze and chicks, but it has to be in the snow... find a warm place...

parks are great. i love jibbin, i mean look at my name. but i do enjoy flying down a trail every now and again. call me old school, but i do. its just like how some surfers still love to hop on the long board and rip. there is a lot to be said about those who solely free ride, and the same for those who are soley park rats. i try to be more versitile simply for the reason that it allows me to have an awesome time no matter who i am ridding with. i can have a blast with think and atomic as we rip down a trail at full speed, but i can also have a blast with my boys jibbin a rail or sessioning a hit. its all good. CB is def going for the more free ride feeling, afterall the majority of their ticket sales comes from weekend tourists from NY. lets face it guys, not too many weekenders have a huge desire to hit a huge jump on rainbow or even c rail. now for the other mtns, i dont really know, cause the only other pocono mtns i have ever hit were blue and shawnee. it goes without saying that shawnee sucked goat balls. and blue was def better then CB park wise. i dunno i am rambling cause i had too muc to drink. later

It just seems that the growing majority around here are the kids that want to hit the parks. Places like MC and BB have shown that it's a small investment that brings in tons of student passes.

I really don't care what ski areas turn their blue squares into. Man, if it keeps Montage open, they can turn the entire upper mountain into one big park. Just leave the North Face alone.

Well, Shawnee sucks goat balls? I dunno...I kind of like the apres ski on a spring weekend afternoon...you drive out and end up in a three mile backup for that goddamn flee market. It takes a half hour to get down to the light. Luckliy, you have something to read while you wait, since there are people shoving flyers in your car window that walk up and down the road. Mmmmmm, Shawnee....

look at mountain creek

Sib is one of the few people that I know that's happy just plain old skiing every day.

Actually, if you recall, I have a vert fetish that means that "waiting my turn" whether it is to race or use some engineered park feature is not high on my list. I am trying to control that "rack up the vert" urge a bit by pushing myself off piste now and again, but I still make sure I have my "day" in before I start fooling around.

look at mountain creek

Actually, if you recall, I have a vert fetish that means that "waiting my turn" whether it is to race or use some engineered park feature is not high on my list. I am trying to control that "rack up the vert" urge a bit by pushing myself off piste now and again, but I still make sure I have my "day" in before I start fooling around.

control the urge! don't force yourself to get the most vert, just have fun off-piste...remember, its better to be off piste, then piste off (or piste on) :lol::lol:

(or piste on) :lol:  :lol:

Hahaha. Good one. But I think the reason most people on here (the skiers that is) don't like BB is cause theres no trials. The only thing worthy of a run is the park. Now, I can almost guarentee (sp?) that most of you skiers on here, when in the park, skip all the rails, (yeah yeah Me too cause I just suck at them) and just straight air and case all the jumps. Now, to really enjoy the park, you haveto learn tricks. Because when you learn some of the basics, they can always be improved, and you can build up on those tricks, until eventually, your throwing smooth cork9 blunts over tables like it aint no 'thang.

You and a buddy can feed off each others energy, and learn some new shit. Its really great. But park alone is just boring. When theres no one there to help you out, to congratulate you, no one to even talk to while waiting to drop, its just plain old BORING. But also, plain old skiing alone can be boring too. It's just not the same atmosphere. I don't like it.

Now, not all of us freeskiers and boarders are park rats. I enjoy hitting a jump or a box as much as the next guy, but sometimes you just need to take a break. I have a thirst for speed that the park just can't quench. I love going fast, and I always want to go faster. Now Big Boulder just doesn't have the vert for that. I mean, Andrew (gurpskier) Derrick (nitro_rider) and me can get up to some good speed on Merry widow or Middleweig, But theyre just not long enough.

Sometimes we go to blue, but not that often because of the money. But at Blue, we can get good speed and keep it. Whenever we go to blue, we dont stay in the park all the time, we hit up long fun trails like paradise, steep trails like challenge or razors edge, some curvy trails like lazy mile, or also some trail links like a simple easyout-vista-midway-mainstreet-shuttle- to the park or something like that. I love that sequence. Blue has the vert to keep me going nice and fast and getting that rush as you barely pass a little kid by inches.

Now all of us "park rats" as you so ignorantly dubbed us, can and DO ski. We can arch turns, stop in a hurry, and maintain our heads in techy lines. If you happen to think we can't ski, we can.

Blue has a decent park. Some good rails, and two decent sized jumps. But they're maintained worth shit. The jumps have no lips on them, the rails are all (except a select few) are all ride on with no lip. Their landings are bumpy, as is sidewinder trail at night. The jumps lips get worse and worse with each hit. Sidewinder is super icy at the top due to the wind, and there's just way to many little kids, old men and gapers. (sorry, if you know what that is) Granted, they're is a bunch at BB. (minus the gapers) But they dont hit the jumps and jump off the rail take offs like they do at Blue. The jumps at BB are simply too intimidating. That's one of the reasons blues park is horrible.

Oh, and the Wall ride. haha. Unless you get there at 8 am on a weekday. Your not hitting this thing. All the little kids think its great fun to see how close they can ride to that thing. Thus, killing the tranny up to it. Unless you remake one, the transition will murder you. Its like running into a wall. (yes, i know its a wall anyways. You know what I mean)

But at Blue, its much more enjoyable. The fries at the top lodge are great, the patrol are nice, the LOCALS are cool, and the park crew are friendly. Much better atmosphere. Although, a select few patrol are at BB are nice, the locals are some of the nicest people you'll meet, the food is okay, and the staff has its highlights, Blue just has a better atmosphere. Hands down.

Alright, I know I may have dropped a few names, put some words in some mouths, and completely strayed off topic. But this is whats been on my mind. I havent said it all, so expect to hear more eventually. And I know I haven't said anything about Camelback, I've only been there once and don't know much about it. But nonetheless, I apologize if I have offended, confused, and/or went off about something you haven't said yet. But I think what I said is bound to come up eventually.

Oh and I can't spell.

Edited by insomniac

Oh, and also, you racers and weekend warriors, next time you head into the park, find a jump your fairly comfortabale with, and learn to do a 360. I mean it. And If you can't land it, I'm sure any skier with twins will be more than glad to help you. We're all skiers here.

Edited by insomniac

Just FYI, nothing bad meant by calling park rats..er, park rats. "Kids that prefer the park" was too long...

My point is that "Kids that prefer the park" will have the most improvements of us all over the next few seasons. That's it. The trend to put in new pipes is over and the Poconos weather doesn't sustain a superpipe very well. So it's new rails, boxes, and other features.

I like the park at Montage. The lift to the race start runs right over the big hits and rail. You get to be entertained by the carnage of bunny skiers doing yard sales.

• 2 weeks later...
ski999 ur right montages park was alright. this was one of there best parks and havin it right under the lift was great when u saw everyone fall.I love heckeling the people goin through the race gates, its funny when they fall.

Haha, FYI your heckeling has nothing to do with people falling on the race course. Sometimes when I am at the start of a course I hear people from the lift saying random cr@p to try and annoy us or something. But once you get focused to go, you don't hear anything, or see anything that is not important to you at that time. All you see is da gates, and your line. :wiggle