10.05.06 - ParkLogic Update

ParkLogic

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are very general terms

to my understanding words like jump and hit are very general, they can mean pretty much anything that u can get air off of. to my knowledge booter, and kicker are more specific terms. I always thought a booter was a jumped shaped like a cheese wedge to give u more distance and less height and a kicker(also known as a tabletop) is a jump shaped more like a quarterpipe to give u more a kick up then out.

And a jump can also mean a hip or a channel gap. Its not a very specific term. and hit could also mean a rail or quarterpipe. These terms can be used but in order to get the full meaning of words i beleive terms like booter should be used to give a better description of a park. I know if someone said to me, "my mountain has jumps" id be less appealed to go than if someone said "my mountain has booters".

if u wanna disagree with me go ahead but thats how i feel on the issue.

Edited by Gurp

OH id hate to change the subject from discussing the term booter, but really quck, for the parklogic guys..

whats the deal with jack frost????

are you guys just going to ignore jf and focus on boulder or what?..

Edited by megan

3. booter

(skiing) n. A large jump, usually in the backcountry.

Let's go to Diamondhead this weekend and build a big booter over the road.

Who ever seen a booter in the backcountry that isnt in the shape of a cheese wedge?

you know what? now that I think of it, that is the only place I have ever seen that word used. and it makes sense.

Back Country Booters

we have a winner. i had never heard anyone refer to a standard park jump, like the ones blue, boulder, or bear have being called booters until doug mentioned it. and gurp, if you really want a name that implies some meaning on the feature, most of us have been calling them step downs since we've had parks. thats what pretty much the rest of the snowsports industry refers to them as as well.

OH id hate to change the subject from discussing the term booter, but really quck, for the parklogic guys..

whats the deal with jack frost????

are you guys just going to ignore jf and focus on boulder or what?..

like last year? ha =(

atleast we got 2 new park cats and a whole lotta snowguns.. so i think

our problem last year was that we didnt have enough snow to build after that huge melt, and by the time they made snow, we were last on the list.

Over on Teton Gravity they also talk about booters..

how many people on TGR ride park? i'm pretty sure they're referring to BC booters, which is the only place i've heard the term booter really applied by the industry. again, i'm sure papa will back me on this one, as will most anyone else who has ridden outside of the east coast and knows what a real booter actually is.

Post #21 in this thread is the first mention of Booters on PASR....that was in 2004 before I even knew what a booter was...

and apparently you still don't. look doug, we are trying to help you from looking silly amongst the people who know the park before the season gets here. if you don't want the advice and want to keep using that terminology because you think it looks cool, then go right ahead.

So you know, jumps in general are described by the type of jump it is, like justo said. You have step ups, downs, tables, hips, spines, etc. call them for type of jump they are. Booter is jargon and it apparently came from the back country as a fitting description to a mound of snow built as a take off to a jump in back country while in your boots.

The take off of the jumps can formed by mound of snow that are shaped like cheese wedges, which have transitions that lead to a lip that launches you into the air. The gap to the landings have knuckles leading to the sweet spot on down to the flats. Gaps are the distance from the lip to the feature or landing.

and apparently you still don't. look doug, we are trying to help you from looking silly amongst the people who know the park before the season gets here. if you don't want the advice and want to keep using that terminology because you think it looks cool, then go right ahead.

So you know, jumps in general are described by the type of jump it is, like justo said. You have step ups, downs, tables, hips, spines, etc. call them for type of jump they are. Booter is jargon and it apparently came from the back country as a fitting description to a mound of snow built as a take off to a jump in back country while in your boots.

The take off of the jumps can formed by mound of snow that are shaped like cheese wedges, which have transitions that lead to a lip that launches you into the air. The gap to the landings have knuckles leading to the sweet spot on down to the flats. Gaps are the distance from the lip to the feature or landing.

Maybe we should make him some type of faq on the park? Nah theres gotta be one out there somewhere. Maybe on NS?

Also, a 50/50 on a rail if you are wearing skis is not viewed as an acceptable manuever. If it was cool, you would still see everyone doing it. The exception to this rule is kids under the age of say 8 or 9.

Doug, I tried searching NS for the word booter. these are the 3 most recent uses of the word booter other than in the movie Booter Crunk........

Subject: Are the msps strictly for pow n backcountry booters?

Subject: BC booters into... firm snow?

so the only movies i've seen so far this year are corduroy and photoplay. both were pretty sick, especially corduroy. but i have to ask, what's the deal with building huge bc booters into 4 inches of baked snow?

Hey I am from Montana, but I wanna be from alaska, if I come to alaska in March, or late FEB, will i be able to find good places to build booters that I can hike to?

need we say more doug?

Edited by Papasteeze

booter means noting dude im sorry but if someone tells me there is a huge booter somewher it tells me nothing. actually it makes me think teh jump sucks. the terms for straight jumps jumps are stepdowns, tables, stepovers, and stepups. Then you can say if teh lip has alot of kick or if its mellow. then you say the gap. heres an example

The new stepdown is sick. The lip has lalot of kick and throws you pretty high. Its like a 30 footer.

That tells people alot more than blue has a sick mo fo booter.

On a seperate topic unless u have a tape dont tell people lengths of jumps. I believe jump lengths of like 5 people on here and most others are extremely exaggerated. If its a 40 footer then people will day its like 1 70 footer and so on. The best are people who tell u a length for a jump and they say its like 20 feet longer than it really is.

then i guess i was wrong on my terminology. so anything with a cheese wedge kicker is a stepdown?

a cheese wedge is a type of ramp that you hit that launches you airborn. It looks exactly like a cheese wedge laying on level surface. here is a skinny one and a fat cheesewedge jump.

1160308760DSC008962028Custom29.jpg

a cheese wedge is a type of ramp that you hit that launches you airborn. It looks exactly like a cheese wedge laying on level surface. here is a skinny one and a fat cheesewedge jump.

1160308760DSC008962028Custom29.jpg

So to what justo and papa are saying thats a stepdown right?

Yea and the X games announcers throw the word amplitude around like they just learned it, and as if its a snowboarding term. Its fucking how much air you got, not how much amplitude.

As for the jump lengths, I totally agree with you last year it was such bullshit on this board and everywhere else. Its like a classic fisherman's tale, can't measure with your eyes people. I think I'm going to mark out a piece of yarn in 5 foot increments out to maybe 70 feet and throw it in my pocket once in a while mid season when we start getting rediculous jump length numbers. A 40 foot jump is simply massive, I have a 40 foot pool in my yard so I can judge how long 40 feet is, and if you measure out 40 feet from the lip to the knuckle, a lot of people will say its a 60 foot jump. Go stand next at the end of someones 40 foot long pool, and think of flying over the whole thing, from a jump a little higher than your head and then come back and tell me blue mountain had a jump almost twice as long as that. Becuase last year I couldn't even find a 40 footer there, much less a 65 footer or whatever shit they were claiming.