BC to host Nastar Pacesetting

skidude

and why not?

Unless you can get a mountain to send you as there offical pacesetter, you can't go. They are supposed to send 2-4 I believe...

The Nature Valley NASTAR Regional Pacesetting Trials are important for two reasons 1) to bring each resort's NASTAR coordinator and pacesetters up to speed on this season's program and 2) to enable pacesetters from each resort to establish their own certified handicap. The schedule for the 2006-07 Regional Pacesetting Trials will be posted below as soon as the locations are finalized. Former U.S. Ski Team stars will set the pace at each Trial. The Nature Valley NASTAR Regional Pacesetting Trials are not open to the public.

Locations (2006-07 Season)

* Rocky Mountain

o Keystone Resort / Keystone, CO / December 4-5

* Midwest

o Indianhead Mountain Resort / Wakefield, MI / December 9-10

o Shanty Creek / Bellaire, MI / December 12-13

* Mid-Atlantic

o Bear Creek Mountain Resort / Macungie, PA / December 17-18

o Hunter Mountain / Hunter, NY / December 19-20

* New England

o Mount Sunapee / Newbury NH / December 21-22

Resort Requirements

To ensure the integrity of the NASTAR Handicap System, each Nature Valley NASTAR resort must send, at minimum, two (2) pacesetters and not more than (4) pacesetters to a Regional Pacesetting Trial. Your NASTAR Coordinator or Ski School Director as well as your Pacesetters must attend the training session held the evening prior to the race. Pacesetters should be the fastest racers at their resort and at least one pacesetter should have a handicap of 15 or lower. Each resort must have a pacesetter with a certified NASTAR Handicap so that he/she can set the Par Time before the public races the course. This allows the timer to announce each racer's time, handicap, medal earned and how much faster the competitor must race to earn the next medal.

If a resort's pacesetter is unable to attend one of the Regional Pacesetting Trials and therefore does not have a certified NASTAR Handicap, they must contact Bill Madsen at bmadsen@nastar.com or 970-923-6278 to coordinate a pacesetting race at a nearby resort.

Edited by skidude

'Dude would obviously be a good pacesetter, since consistancy is the #1 quality NASTAR looks for. I mean, a mountain can send anyone they want that's going to be available to pace their courses, but those Golden Days that make some people happy (because the pacesetter has a bad day) tend to piss off more people in the end. Jeff would also be a good pacesetter, but he's still getting better each time on a course, so he'd be a pain in tha ass to people by the end of next February, since he'll probably be smoking his December pace.

Hopefully, it'll be a nice day during trials, since it's a one-shot thing for the local pacesetters. If it rains, the times get really bad and all the local pacesetters walk away with really high handicaps. It rained last year at Hunter and longtime 12 handicappers came home with 20+ HC's.

'Dude would obviously be a good pacesetter, since consistancy is the #1 quality NASTAR looks for. I mean, a mountain can send anyone they want that's going to be available to pace their courses, but those Golden Days that make some people happy (because the pacesetter has a bad day) tend to piss off more people in the end. Jeff would also be a good pacesetter, but he's still getting better each time on a course, so he'd be a pain in tha ass to people by the end of next February, since he'll probably be smoking his December pace.

Hopefully, it'll be a nice day during trials, since it's a one-shot thing for the local pacesetters. If it rains, the times get really bad and all the local pacesetters walk away with really high handicaps. It rained last year at Hunter and longtime 12 handicappers came home with 20+ HC's.

my margin for improvment is very big, but the next step i need to take is the toughest one to get by, but like you said, i probably wouldnt be a "fair" pacesetter because I keep improving. skidude ftw, though.

you'd probably be the best one on PASR, nobody is more consistant then you. look at your nastars, almost all of them are dead on the whole night.

haha he said you are stuck in a rut and don't improve. :nana

I'm assuming that was dirrected to me, and not to Jeff...

There is deffinatly a limit on Nastar course to how fast you can ski them. There are days where just for fun, I have tucked straight down top to bottom (no turns), and came out with a HC of 8...There are also days where I skied like poo and came out with a very low HC..I think that just shows that Nastar is not always great to show from week to week...

I might not be imporving on CB's Nastar course, but I'm usually the fastest one there, so suck it :nana

I think they were both talking about me, 'Dude...

I have two things happen to me on NASTAR courses: I almost always have at least one mistake...and I have this built in clock that makes me bust the rest of the course to make up for the mistake. If it's a big mistake, then I crash through all the remaining gates....you know, like we all should anyway.

And so my times are strangely the same. In fact, I won a pair of GS:11's at Montage when Jim had a contest for who had the closest two times.

My goal is to treat the first gate---and each subsequent gate---as if I'd already made a huge mistake.

Ya know what I'm sayin'?

How can you ski a Nastar with no turns?

Pacesetters are supposed to take a "terminal velocity" run. It's a tuck run, with no turns. The course is supposed to be set so it's within a certain amount of time of that tuck run.

How can you ski a Nastar with no turns?

Go through the wand, skate, tuck, stay tucked, cross the finish :P Helps if you know the race peeps :lol

I have had my fair share of consistant runs at BC...Same time (to the hundrith of a second) 3 runs...and everything else was withen about .4 if I recall...I'll have to look up that result sometime...

Do they only do the terminal velocity tuck run in December pacesetting or every race? Is this why rain affects the handicaps for the entire season? I'm still a noob at all this.

No, it's really just something they suggest pacesetters to do once in a while and whenever a course set is radically changed. An experienced gate setter can look at any course and say whether it's within a certain time range. The reason for a terminal velocity check is to be sure a course isn't too turny or too straight.

I'm trying that if I'm having a bad night and know that I won't increase my time... :rock because if you miss a gate in Nastar you still get a time which is stupid but they don't have the manpower for gate judges like at the Sugar Slalom at Stowe. Skidude don't you have a pair of 215 Downhill skis? You should take that to Pacesetting for the terminal velocity part and than use your slalom skis for gates..that way you'll have an excuse if Ridge beats you again. :rofl

If you miss a gate they DSQ you even though a time comes up.

:ph34r:

No, it's really just something they suggest pacesetters to do once in a while and whenever a course set is radically changed. An experienced gate setter can look at any course and say whether it's within a certain time range. The reason for a terminal velocity check is to be sure a course isn't too turny or too straight.

Huh? They don't suggest that! "Teminal velocity" is called Cap time, it's the time it takes to tuck the hill without gates. All it tells Nastar is if the courses are too straight.

:ph34r:

Edited by First Grade Teacher