*warning* World Cup Results

Ski

Marco Buechel of Liechtenstein won today's World Cup downhill at Lake Louise, Canada. Defending overall downhill champ Michael Walchhofer finished 10th; The Hermmanator was 6th; and, Bode dragged his hungover ass across the finish in a pathetic 29th place, which was 4th among the Americans. Bode did manage to barely edge out 20 yr old Austrian newcomer Romed Baumann by .02 seconds.

There didn't seem to be a whole lot of talk of Bode starting his own race series...

• 1 month later...
Marco Buechel of Liechtenstein won today's World Cup downhill at Lake Louise, Canada. Defending overall downhill champ Michael Walchhofer finished 10th; The Hermmanator was 6th; and, Bode dragged his hungover ass across the finish in a pathetic 29th place, which was 4th among the Americans. Bode did manage to barely edge out 20 yr old Austrian newcomer Romed Baumann by .02 seconds.

There didn't seem to be a whole lot of talk of Bode starting his own race series...

Bode is a drunkin ass. He will never win again.

:ph34r:

its funny how you care so much about racers doing well.

if tanner hall or jon olsen showed up drunk and lost, we wouldnt care. at least i wouldnt

I'm being sarcastic. If you read any of my previous posts you will see that I could care less if he gets hammered everyday. Another member dubbed Bode a "Drunken Ass"

Edited by First Grade Teacher

Bode is the greatest natural talent I've ever seen race.

Friday night, he helped close a club and you can barely make out his slurred speech in a video that ran on Eurosport.

Bode DNF'd in the first run of Saturday's GS at Adelboden.

Bode DNF'd in the second run of Sunday's slalom at Adelboden.

I just don't think doing that is cool.

Edited by ski

Bode is the greatest natural talent I've ever seen race.

Friday night, he helped close a club and you can barely make out his slurred speech in a video that ran on Eurosport.

Bode DNF'd in the first run of Saturday's GS at Adelboden.

Bode DNF'd in the second run of Sunday's slalom at Adelboden.

I just don't think doing that is cool.

Well, in looking at that second run DNF on Sunday, it appears his ski just came right off for no apparent reason. How was he running at that point?

Well, in looking at that second run DNF on Sunday, it appears his ski just came right off for no apparent reason. How was he running at that point?

Bode has a history of premature ejection...remember his first few tech races in Rossi? I've read that they believe it's not equipment failure, but that Bode simply loads his skis more than most people and when he comes across the rut at just a certain angle he loses his ski. I would be skeptical that it only happens to Bode, except for what they discovered was happening with his slalom skiing. Many of Bode's crashes happen because he's too good---he shins lower than anybody and the Break-A-Ways are coming down and nailing his skis at 600mph. Bode destroys his skis, plus loses balance because his tips get slammed.

I'm not sure of your point, Sib...are you and DH suggesting that there's no link between being drunk at 3am and having athletic performance suffer at 9am?

Doctors perform surgery drunk every day; pilots fly 747's drunk daily. The majority of alcoholics continue to do their jobs long after most other things in their lives have totally f*cked up.

Edited by ski

Yeah, third place behind a Norwegian guy that has had success in parts of some seasons and behind Cuche, who is a grandpa on the circuit...

Are you saying that Bode is living up to his potential? Do you think that behind the 'too cool' attitude, he's happy being in third place? If he'd just finished his races, he'd be 200 points in the lead for the overall.

The greatest ski racer ever born and he's in his prime years...and he's hanging on to third place.

Maybe you guys all all 100% right...maybe the new school definition of being a champion means being a drunk and finishing third.

I love how people think Bode is the first and only person to have gone out and drank the night before a race. European racers have always had a party mentality. Look at what Alberto Tomba did, and he was notorious for running up huge bar tabs in every town a WC race was held. While at a ski camp in VT while in college a former US Ski Team member who was our coach made sure we knew the rules for the night before ski races...

DH - No drinking and a lot of sex

SG - A little drinking and some sex

GS - Moderate drinking and oral sex

SL - Huge drinking and no sex at all

And about Bode being washed up. Are you kidding me. The difference with him is, he goes 110% each run and doesn't care if he crashes because he want's to ski his best each run, no matter what place that puts him in. He also doesn't give a shit what the media and people who know nothing about him care what he thinks. I applaud Bode and root for him every run.

And about Bode being washed up. Are you kidding me. The difference with him is, he goes 110% each run and doesn't care if he crashes because he want's to ski his best each run, no matter what place that puts him in. He also doesn't give a shit what the media and people who know nothing about him care what he thinks. I applaud Bode and root for him every run.

Somebody that gets it! Bode goes for it every run. He knows that he can't just "finish" to win the Worldcup. Ski, you were the one who told me that ski races are won by hundredths of a second. You can just "finish" and expect to be in the lead.

I love how people think Bode is the first and only person to have gone out and drank the night before a race. European racers have always had a party mentality. Look at what Alberto Tomba did, and he was notorious for running up huge bar tabs in every town a WC race was held. While at a ski camp in VT while in college a former US Ski Team member who was our coach made sure we knew the rules for the night before ski races...

DH - No drinking and a lot of sex

SG - A little drinking and some sex

GS - Moderate drinking and oral sex

SL - Huge drinking and no sex at all

He was being sarcastic when he said Bode was washed up. Nobody believes Bode is washed up. He's in his prime and just needs to dry out.

I'll let you in on a formerly carefully guarded secret about Tomba: his drinking and womanizing was 95% hype. In his own book, he described drinking tonic water while everyone around him was drinking vodka...Tomba was a great character and it was hard to watch how his career ended, face-first on a slalom course. Then, he was indicted on tax evasion charges. How did he beat it? He claimed he was too stupid to know what had gone on with his money. Ski Mag referred to it as the Tomba Twinkie Defense, as I recall. It's amazing to me how people are so willing to swallow bullshit hype...like Bode not giving a shit, yet every dime he has is tied to the wins he had.

Your ski camp coach gave you serious advice to drink a lot before a slalom race? What do you want to bet he was kidding?

Good luck rooting for Bode on every run. How 'bout those Olympics? Did you wear out your hands applauding during those two weeks? Well, there's always 2010, right? Maybe the SuperCombined will be a separate new event and he can go 0-6! :rock

Otherwise, he seems pretty happy to be drunk and hangin' on to third.

Somebody that gets it! Bode goes for it every run. He knows that he can't just "finish" to win the Worldcup. Ski, you were the one who told me that ski races are won by hundredths of a second. You can just "finish" and expect to be in the lead.

Typo............................You can't just "finish" and expect to be in the lead. I don't want to confuse anyone.

Did you mean "You can't just finish and expect to be in the lead"?

The "new" World Cup point system favors racers that win, over just being consistent. The best strategy is to go all balls out and grab a win, even if it means blowing out of a few races.

Okay, but here's where there's a problem, 1st Grade: Bode blew out of more than a dozen straight slalom races last year. And this year? Bode is DEAD LAST in the world in slalom...on the bright side, he's tied with lots of others for last.

Do you get it, 1st Grade? To be the Overall World Cup Champion, even Bode has said that he needs to collect slalom points.

I'm curious as to whether Ski1027 ever took his coach's advice and skied a slalom with alcohol in his system, or with a hangover? And, if so, how did it go?

BTW, 1st Grade, I wonder what percentage of your 335 posts are things you bitch about what I've posted? I'm really sorry I have this effect on you.

Did you mean "You can't just finish and expect to be in the lead"?

The "new" World Cup point system favors racers that win, over just being consistent. The best strategy is to go all balls out and grab a win, even if it means blowing out of a few races.

Okay, but here's where there's a problem, 1st Grade: Bode blew out of more than a dozen straight slalom races last year. And this year? Bode is DEAD LAST in the world in slalom...on the bright side, he's tied with lots of others for last.

Do you get it, 1st Grade? To be the Overall World Cup Champion, even Bode has said that he needs to collect slalom points.

I'm curious as to whether Ski1027 ever took his coach's advice and skied a slalom with alcohol in his system, or with a hangover? And, if so, how did it go?

BTW, 1st Grade, I wonder what percentage of your 335 posts are things you bitch about what I've posted? I'm really sorry I have this effect on you.

Why don't you just say....................."I don't like Bode" or better yet call him up and offer to teach him how to ski..............Coach!

Start posting facts instead of your bullshit and I won't disagree. Got anymore Tomba secrets?

Edited by First Grade Teacher

Why don't you just say....................."I don't like Bode" or better yet call him up and offer to teach him how to ski..............Coach!

I actually did like Bode. And I remember watching Tom Brokaw interview im after his huge Olympic failure and he was pretty cool to acknowledge Ligety and Julia's medals. But then he goes off on these crazy tangents about not caring about medals and finishing races. This is after he posed for Newsweek and Time Mag covers and hosted his own Nike-sponsored website. Bode went on to talk about how much he loved the movie "Miracle" because his own Olympic dream had been to win from the underdog position, but he now felt like the Russian hockey team---the evil favorite. Bode went on to talk about having an Olympic experience and how much more important that was than medals. Message to Bode: anyone with the ability to buy a plane ticket can have the Olympic experience. Bode isn't the Jamaican bobsled team, no matter how much he may envy their, uh, poverty. Personally, I had a hell of a lot more respect for speed skater Kim Derrick, who ran her entire race with tears streaming down her face because her biggest supporter, her grandpa, had just died and she was so sorry he didn't get to be there to realize 'his' dream of her racing.

BTW, 1st Grade, Coach C is a nickname I have from soccer. I didn't think I was hiding it and pretending to be something I'm not. Does it bother you?

i don't disagree that he's not living up to his skiing potential but at this point it seems - he ams what he ams - and in his mind the partying is all part of the deal. i don't think he's changing so its just fun stuff to follow

I hate the Red Sox with a passion. I am an avid Yankee fan. Bode 'discussions' are little league compared to those fights.

I actually did like Bode. And I remember watching Tom Brokaw interview im after his huge Olympic failure and he was pretty cool to acknowledge Ligety and Julia's medals. But then he goes off on these crazy tangents about not caring about medals and finishing races. This is after he posed for Newsweek and Time Mag covers and hosted his own Nike-sponsored website. Bode went on to talk about how much he loved the movie "Miracle" because his own Olympic dream had been to win from the underdog position, but he now felt like the Russian hockey team---the evil favorite. Bode went on to talk about having an Olympic experience and how much more important that was than medals. Message to Bode: anyone with the ability to buy a plane ticket can have the Olympic experience. Bode isn't the Jamaican bobsled team, no matter how much he may envy their, uh, poverty. Personally, I had a hell of a lot more respect for speed skater Kim Derrick, who ran her entire race with tears streaming down her face because her biggest supporter, her grandpa, had just died and she was so sorry he didn't get to be there to realize 'his' dream of her racing.

BTW, 1st Grade, Coach C is a nickname I have from soccer. I didn't think I was hiding it and pretending to be something I'm not. Does it bother you?

I hate the Red Sox with a passion. I am an avid Yankee fan. Bode 'discussions' are little league compared to those fights.

No. I just figured since you know everything about skiing that you must be a coach. I just hope you don't jump on the bandwagon if Bode wins the overall.(or any discipline for that matter) That would make you a hypocrite. How did I know you were a Yankee fan?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Typical

When Bode writes his book it might turn out that he was drinking tonic water!

No. I just figured since you know everything about skiing that you must be a coach. I just hope you don't jump on the bandwagon if Bode wins the overall.(or any discipline for that matter) That would make you a hypocrite. How did I know you were a Yankee fan?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Typical

When Bode writes his book it might turn out that he was drinking tonic water!

I was a ski instructor at Mt. Tom, Mount Snow, Hunter, and every once-in-a-while at our ski hill. As far as ski race coaching goes, I've been attending race camps and racing ASRA to be able to coach my youngest through her race career. Being a certified race coach isn't very complicated...just take a clinic like the one at Okemo and then get a job someplace. But I want to be a great coach that understands more than just technique---technique is relatively easy. I want to be able to coach kids on what to do when you've won the first run and how to deal with the pressure of a reverse 30 start...and I want my advice to be from real experience, not out of a book. I've been racing for almost 30 years, but there are still 2 seconds I can't seem to get rid of in an ASRA course. Way more info than you asked, but that's the way it is.

I stopped rooting for Bode the season he won the Overall World Cup title. I'll start rooting for him when he isn't drinking.

Tomba's antics were mostly written about...his legendary boozing wasn't part of a weekly TV show. So even though your tonic water answer is funny and smart, Bode's been taking hits right off the bar room bottles a little too much for that to be the case.

I'm not sure of your point, Sib...are you and DH suggesting that there's no link between being drunk at 3am and having athletic performance suffer at 9am?

I was not trying to make a point, but to get information. His ski came off in that shot. Are you implying that the ski objected to his drinking so it left his foot or something? That was a short clip, I didn't see the whole race or even a clip of the first race. But, since YOU are linking the results of those races to his drinking, that must mean that before the ski came off (which I refuse to blame on alcohol) he was behind the time he needed to be at. So, was he running badly or not at that point?

And I couldn't find the video you referred to with him slurring his words, give me a link.

I am the last one to defend athletes drinking. And prior to everyone coming down all over him last year, I was not a Bode fan. And I wouldn't say I've become one. But, in my mind, everyone has just suddenly noticed what I said for years, his results are all over the map. He has ALWAYS been inconsistent, always lost equipment, DNF'd, etc. This is NOT NEW. I think the reason it's suddenly such an issue is everyone bought all that stupid Olympic hype and feels betrayed. Since I never thought this guy was any Messiah, I guess he didn't betray ME, so I don't understand the carrying on about Bode's lifestyle. Just pick another guy to admire. I still think Stenmark is THE GUY myself.

Sib, some people like to argue or trash talk or have heated discussions involving their favorite athletes or teams. And some people don't. Bode is a unique and fascinating subject.

It's next to impossible to say why Bode's ski came off on that run. I'm sticking with my guess that he hit the rut at just enough of an angle that the loaded ski overpowered the binding. Nothing to do with booze. But if someone is drunk, there may be fifty other reasons why they run a stop sign and kill you----and an alcoholic that's drinking will find all of them.

The videos I watch are password protected and I'd happily PM it to you---if it were mine to share.