Not allowed in PA---Grooming on open trails

mtnbiker99x

Beaver Creek still does grooming most of day on open trails. Keeps the snow in excellent shape on days your looking to ride on groomers.

They also leave a lot of stuff bumped up too. But their grooming is excellent.

This would not be allowed in PA and is not done except for Blue on one trail they temporarly close, not sure if they still do it or not.

8d687ab9.jpg

post-73-1168317937_thumb.jpg

Why is this not allowed in PA? Is it a law or just something that is generally not done?

About 5-6 years ago I was skiing at Blue Knob. I was on the trail Run Out as a groomer was doing it's work. I skied behind it at a distance for a short while and then passed it. It was pretty neat to see up close.

I was wondering why I haven't seen daytime grooming recently. Which trail do they groom in the day at Blue?

Why is this not allowed in PA? Is it a law or just something that is generally not done?

About 5-6 years ago I was skiing at Blue Knob. I was on the trail Run Out as a groomer was doing it's work. I skied behind it at a distance for a short while and then passed it. It was pretty neat to see up close.

I was wondering why I haven't seen daytime grooming recently. Which trail do they groom in the day at Blue?

I believe this changed after a groomer at Alpine Mountain ran over a snowboarder in the morning by accident during the 2001-2002 season(I think it was found out that the boarder cut a rope right before opening).After that,PA areas became much more careful with daytime grooming.Also,correct me if I'm wrong,that The Challenge is the trail at Blue Mtn. that they shutdown for daytime grooming.Possibly Razor's Edge now too,although I haven't seen them do this trail in person during the day.

The only trail I have seen Blue shut down for grooming after it was already open at the beginning of the day is Paradise. I have seen grooming during the day on Razor's edge and Switchback early in the morning and then open up by 10am.

I would love to see a grooming team out there around 5pm to give the night crowd some fresh trails and clean landings.

its not that it is not allowed in pa, it is just that the trails in PA are generally too narrow to do it safely while the trail is open

and what happened at alpine has nothing to do with this as the boarder was on a closed trail when he got run over

When they re-groom at Blue which is pretty infrequent..things get chewed back up really fast..it's funny seeing people line up at the top of Paradise for the first run on fresh cord..

Things do get chewed up real fast, people see that fresh cord and just have to be the 1st ones on it. Whats better is when people sit and wait at the ropes on Razor's Edge and if you are lucky enough to be on the lift when the rope drops.. all you see is about 20-30 bodies popping over the crest of the mountain followed by about another 20-30 people all trying to get in the first turns on the fresh groomed cord's.

its not that it is not allowed in pa, it is just that the trails in PA are generally too narrow to do it safely while the trail is open

and what happened at alpine has nothing to do with this as the boarder was on a closed trail when he got run over

Generally, they do not groom a trail around here with it still open as they will rope off the trail. You do run into the occasion groomer making a trip to the top or bottom while the trail is still open and everyone is skiing/riding on that couple feet wide of groomed trail.. haha.

I believe this changed after a groomer at Alpine Mountain ran over a snowboarder in the morning by accident during the 2001-2002 season(I think it was found out that the boarder cut a rope right before opening).After that,PA areas became much more careful with daytime grooming.Also,correct me if I'm wrong,that The Challenge is the trail at Blue Mtn. that they shutdown for daytime grooming.Possibly Razor's Edge now too,although I haven't seen them do this trail in person during the day.

I remember a lot of us talking about the Alpine accident...wonder what MB we were on back then? The groomer backed over the kid as it was making it's way back into the garage after finishing work. I guess we were on the CB MB, 'cause DaveK said something about that being an example of why CB doesn't do much daytime grooming.

And what Jordan said is the main reason we don't get middays...there's only room for skiers/rider OR groomers.

I remember a lot of us talking about the Alpine accident...wonder what MB we were on back then? The groomer backed over the kid as it was making it's way back into the garage after finishing work. I guess we were on the CB MB, 'cause DaveK said something about that being an example of why CB doesn't do much daytime grooming.

Yup, that was way back in the early days when we were all on Ride Camelback.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem with midday grooming is the snow doesn't have any time to set up. Most of the days you really want them to groom in the afternoon its sugary. And all their doing is knocking down the bumps but it will just get tracked up a few runs later. Snow needs at least a few hours to be decent (hard insted of sugary) for any amount of time.

I can count the times on one hand that I have seen groomers moving on trails at CB when they were open...